Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast
    3v0
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Default Re: Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

Kids are a touchy subject. I am for limited parents rights and the responsibilities that go with them. Rights stop where they interfere with the rights of others.

It feels like we are all supposed to shut up and let kids stomp all over us and we should shut up and take it!

3v0
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

2x post. Was asked if it was OK the leave the page after posting and end up with 2 of them.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    Kids are a touchy subject. I am for limited parents rights and the responsibilities that go with them. Rights stop where they interfere with the rights of others.

It feels like we are all supposed to shut up and let kids stomp all over us and we should shut up and take it!
    I agree with 99% what you're saying but... I don't suppose you were ever a kid were you? Just remember someone, at some point in time, had to put up with us, before we knew everything.

Tractor
    Toro D200, Ford 1715, International 884,

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
    I grew up in the car business and if we didn't let customers look at the inventory kids or no kids we might as well close the doors.
    One of the difference between cars and tractors is that with the cars, kids have to be part of the auto experience.
    When we were young, my parents would always check that the back seat was comfortable for the kids when shopping for cars.

With tractors, technically the kids are not using the tractors... although, of course, teenagers often do use the tractors, but not 5 yr olds.

Kids can be destructive, pulling and pushing every lever and button. But, as mentioned, it is a good idea to keep buckets and implements in a "safe position", even if they look pretty with them up. They also function as emergency brakes.

I think too much emphasis is put on keeping kids from falling 2 feet to the ground. I never died from a skinned knee as a kid, even though I had plenty of them.

I've been to a few auto shows. Some people surrounded their cars with "don't touch" signs. If asked politely, I'd always let the kids climb through my car. Although, I must admit that I've had neighbor kids that broke off hard to find "classic parts". Because one kid was holding the door lock from the outside, I caught a kid inside my car grabbing a pair of vice grips to pull up on the door lock button once.

I'm sure tractor dealerships hate repairing damage from particularly destructive kids. But, then, all they need to post is a "you break it, you bought it" sign next to their $100K tractors!!!!

For some people, kids may be part of the buying process, and a dealership will do anything to keep the customers on the lot longer, and looking at more stuff.

3v0
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    I agree with 99% what you're saying but... I don't suppose you were ever a kid were you? Just remember someone, at some point in time, had to put up with us, before we knew everything.
    Kid was a long time ago. 6th/7 with one younger sister. But I still recall the times I got out of line. I was full of energy, bored when not working, and tore apart everything I could get my hands on. Even cars.

But yeah I am for cutting kids and parents some slack. But it is up to us rather then the kids or parents when if and how much.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

I think parents today should raise their children like I was raised, respect every body's property and my rights ended where someone's else's started. If a business owner or business employee says something about a child maybe they should be asked why. The person could have just spent several thousand dollars repairing damage caused by someone's child. No instead the parent become argumentative, hostile, aggressive and sometimes physical.

It is hard to go shopping anymore without having to listen to a parent objecting to being asked to pay for damage caused by a small child.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

I think parents today should raise their children like I was raised, respect every body's property and my rights ended where someone's else's started. If a business owner or business employee says something about a child maybe they should be asked why. The person could have just spent several thousand dollars repairing damage caused by someone's child. No instead the parent become argumentative, hostile, aggressive and sometimes physical.

It is hard to go shopping anymore without having to listen to a parent objecting to being asked to pay for damage caused by a small child.

Tractor
    JD 6430Prem, JD 6400, JD 5500, JD4710, 955, 455

Howdy,
    Today's world is different. Today the world is to litigious. Not to be biased, but, I would assume people here with tractor sense, would raise children with tractor sense.
    ? Have you ever been somewhere when a child is running amuck? As you look over and see the parent doing nothing about it.
    The dealership is question might have just finished with a lawsuit with some child accident. I am sure with respect to the equipment it is, you standing there with your child, respectfully looking at equipment, your child in tow, would not be a issue anywhere.

How about having a bunch of folks over at your place with children jumping and playing with your tractors at home. A week later to find out the battery is dead, knobs missing, pins missing... you too would be a bit jumpy next time the children want to play on your equipment.

In today's world city people would scream and shout child abuse with anything farming. (such as work, chores, tractor work etc..)

The same principle can be applied to guns. I have and enjoy guns. My kids know and understand guns. They are not toys, but can be very enjoyable family outing event.
    Later Mike ~~~
    JD green here
    tractors and implements

Tractor
    JD 6430Prem, JD 6400, JD 5500, JD4710, 955, 455

double hiccup
    Later Mike ~~~
    JD green here
    tractors and implements

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23, Craftsman Mower

There are definitely at least two well defined schools of thought...

I don't have children and yet I find kids are very well behaved if they know it is expected and bad behavior will not be tolerated...

At Easter... between family and extended family there were 9 kids age 11 and younger visiting... the two older ones so desperately wanted to take out my neighbors gator as he has given them permission before...

I simply explained it is not ours and they are away... that was the end of it.

I also have the antique cars in the garage and they know the drill... hands in pockets and don't touch anything... the older ones will correct the younger ones and hold their hands...

They like to sit on the CAT D3 dozer and always ask permission first and frankly there isn't a thing they could do to it... all fill spouts are padlock, instruments padlocked, ripper buried in the ground and blade down... but, they sure have fun just sitting in the seat and pretending.

To be clear... private property is private and the dealer had every right to set the rules or even ask us to leave and the woman from the office wasn't mean or nasty... she was just direct and to the point and NOT helpful.

I posted in part because I was curious if this is standard operating practice and if it is... wouldn't sales be hurt driving off potential buyers...

For most... after a home/land purchase... a new tractor would at least rank number 2 or 3 on the scale/scope of expenditures...

I've enjoyed the discussion and many good points raised and have decided that unless I'm stopping by Dave's Tractor in Nor Cal, I will call ahead to ask if children are welcome...

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728 ... LastLast