Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #251  
Daybreak,
I'm not sure what the double hiccup means, but as a retired insurance agent,
I sure can second your concerns over litigious neighbors and visitors.
And living in N.VA you are surrounded by the seriously wealthy, and are as likely to see
a Mercedes or BMW on your local roads as you will a working pickup.

You are totally surrounded by litigious people, though perhaps not as bad as Northern NJ.
so I can sure appreciate your concern. But what about in proverbial Peoria? Lancaster? Texas?
I think or perhaps just foolishly hope that the climate is different outside of the urban centers.

It's like locking the doors to your home. Many of you likely still don't. My parents never did. Never had to.
The police chief was bored stiff. Not much happening except for the Saturday night drunks.
But if you grew up in Newark, NJ like my Dad did, or East LA, well, I think your attitude towards the neighbors and perhaps
the world in general is different.

We lock our doors and turn on the alarm now. Times have changed. And if the kids have changed, when they become adults, well, that means our next generation of adults might think differently too. I suppose it's the way of the world, but not a comforting thought all the time.

For those of you who live in the big wide open spaces, are we "city folk" just too paranoid?
Are you going to stop those hayrides because they might be "risky"?...

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?
I think the double hiccup is a post is posted twice...

I've been having that problem a lot lately and it never happened before...

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #254  
What dealer was this??

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #255  
one.jpgtwo.jpgI never left the USA until 21 years ago. America has safety regulations intended to protect people from their own stupidity. Very few of the cases you hear about actually result in damages (believe me, I had been involved in hundreds) but there is always cost in defending a suit and very few allow the defendant to recover damages for a frivolous suit. Visit France and voila, no fences preventing you from falling off a cliff. Visit Greece and the slippery steps polished by over 3,000 years of people trodding them - no handrails. Here are some pictures from Bauma, the worlds largest construction machinery show, taken a couple weeks back. Sunday they have a family day but these pictures were taken during the week. The stairs they had built so a person could sit in the seat of a 994 wheel loader - almost always filled with kids but what can I complain - I lack the $4 million to buy one too. The picture with a father on a paver with his 2 kids - this is the way to build tomorrow's future - get the next generation interested. I have finding shows in America where they lock the cab doors or chain the ladders to keep people away - unless you have cash sticking out of your pockets. Of course those kids in the paver seats will probably never drive one like it in the future - they will own the company.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #256  
You can't fix, a litigious society, inappropriate behavior, lack of parental control or... stupid!

And you can never prevent all accidents.

I have to ask, in the original post, why was a responsible dealer even open, without a responsible sales person on the premises? If there was no one to show the inventory, or protect it, they should have locked the gate!

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #257  
You can't fix, a litigious society, inappropriate behavior, lack of parental control or... stupid!

And you can never prevent all accidents.

I have to ask, in the original post, why was a responsible dealer even open, without a responsible sales person on the premises? If there was no one to show the inventory, or protect it, they should have locked the gate!

Good point

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #258  
If parents would properly supervise their kids I would mind exposing young folks to new tractors. The problem is, a great many parents let their kids run wild. It is so easy to get hurt around farm or construction machinery. And who would the parent blame when their kid get hurt? Themselves? Never! What is even worse that a tractor store is a machinery auction. They leave the keys in the machinery so bidders can start them up and check them out. I have seen many unsupervised kids start up equipment (what 10 year old can't resist turning a key) and the machine starts moving or they operate the hydraulics.

In my opinion, dealers are not only justified but also should be complimented for looking out for the welfare of kids lacking parental control. If you are serious about shopping for tractors leave the kids home. It's not a play date.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?
If you are serious about shopping for tractors leave the kids home. It's not a play date.

In my case I was only curious... wanted to compare models because I was thinking of upgrading...

Having no Dealers in my county or several neighboring counties makes it a little harder plus most are closed on weekends.

I was with my brother's family traveling through California and asked if we could stop since we were driving right by on a weekday.

In the end it didn't matter, I bought a Deere 110 TLB and have been very satisfied with my decision...

Could have just as easily been a B26 or L39... will never know.

Some manufacturers actively solicit business from homeowners and hobby farmers... in other words non-business customers...

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #260  
I bring my son with all the time when I go to window shop at the Kubota dealer. Growing up, my dad worked at Caterpiller dealer. We went with him every chance we could. We would climb all over the scrapers, D12's and loaders. When he was done he would give us a ride on one of the machines. I never got hurt, and I learned the name of every Cat machine