Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #271  
I am blown away that there are actually 27 pages dedicated to this so far. It's an interesting read for people like me with a lot of time on my hands. I have 2 young sons that love to play on the Kubotas at my local fair. When making a $25,000 purchase, if I was told no kids in the dealership, on to the next one. Now that I have one, they are almost getting big enough to use it. Wow, actually another future tractor customer possibly? That's the way the dealers should see it because I have 2 potentially.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #272  
I wonder if this is what the parents of these two said. No wait she reportedly said she was proud of his skills.

Video tips: Budget advice - MSN Money

When a 7 year old ran into me with his moms car (she left the car running at a filling station) the mother just kept screaming how she was going to sue me. Parents are irrational when it comes to THEIR kids. I can give you about 20 examples but this is the most blatant in my life history.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #273  
this is where a good set of security video cameras is priceless.
Helps to sort out the fact from fiction.

And yes, get a nice gypsy family in and isn't it amazing how someone always falls?
A small payment for medical bills and distress would be appreciated. Ka Ching.

I'm a retired insurance agent and the industry record of slip and fall claims in gas stations, supermarkets
and shopping centers makes for fascinating reading. These claims are a big part of why security cameras are everywhere.
And for a sense of protection, which is likely illusionary.

I can only wonder when Russia's problem with phony car accidents will head our way. And we will all have to have
recording cameras in our cars, preferably providing 360 degrees of HD resolution, certifiable in court...

back on topic...
A child's behavior that might be fully acceptable and even commendable at a Roy Rogers might be
too loud, too distracting, simply too much in a John Deere showroom where two sales guys are busy with people in their booths
and you are milling outside. I expect there to be kid's noise in a family restaurant. It would be strange without it.
But a hundred "what's this" and "why" later, in confined quarters high energy kids can be overwhelming.
And how about the whiners and the wailers? "I want. I want. repeat a zillion times" "Mommmmy, Billy won't let me sit on this one"
Irritatingly loudly.

Ok, for the record, I am not a terminal grump and I love kids. I make a great Uncle.
But kids can be loud, and I'm a quiet guy. And as a non-parent my personal vision of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"
motivates me to pick a table as far away from a large family of young kids as possible.

Short of bringing six severely autistic kids into a dealership at one time, for me, the more kids the merrier. They are our future and they
had better learn how to grow food. And hopefully to get more excited in a baler's knotting mechanism than the latest first person shooter
video game. And if the baler is a stretch, at least get them in the seat of a small tractor and let them make vroom vroom noises.

I think farming communities have been built on the foundation of strong family life for so long that any ag dealer that wasn't tuned into kids wouldn't be very successful. Perhaps vast agribusiness will take over all the small farms, and family life, family values and good manners will become irrelevant. Sure hope not.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #274  
Lol, wow I had an interesting thought today. I was in "the city" ( I am exaggerating its only 20 miles from me) and I went to the kubota dealer there. Wow, now that place is a business all about money and aside from my son which would be holding my hand the whole time, that's not a place for kids. Not saying they shouldn't be welcome. It was just very busy. It's a wiengartz and they sell: kubota, John Deere, stihl, echo, red max, exmark, cub cadet etc. well there was literally a counter set up with 6 salesman. A parts counter with 3 guys and a repair area with 2 guys. Not to mention misc employees. Don't get me wrong, if you need something they have it and know there stuff. But this is not a family place like "my" kubota dealer. Not to mention my dealer easily has twice the inventory of tractors. However this place literally has a warehouse FULL of leased exmarks for sale. At least 100+ and holy wowsers how many other NEW items. Ok, off on a tangent there. Either way that is high volume fast pace selling.

Now my experience. I walked in to purchase a "mantis tiller". The price was 349. I asked the salesman if he would price match $330 from the website. (Kickstand and bed edger). He said "no" so I began to walk out. He said well I can give it to you for that price in a box and you have to assemble it. I said deal. He laughed and said good luck. Well I am no repair man, but there not much I can't do with a new product and a handy set if instructions. The guy said it takes them an hour. Now I am starting to wonder. I asked if there is alot of parts and he said yes. I got it home and opened the box. I pulled a couple pieces out and there was only 8 bolts. That includes to the kick stand option. I had it done in ten minutes only because I read the instruction which are definitely not needed. I seriously think now that I did it, I could do on I. Under 5 minutes. Thanks Steve, you just tried to pressure me into a fee for constructing my tiller. SMH. I am glad I didn't fall for it and shame on their big business ways. I love my family oriented slow paced dealer by my house. 10 times smarter, have all accessories you could ask for, already have the new inventory and are FAMILY ORIENTATED!!!!

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #275  
Interesting, my question is what does what does this mean, was this a dealer decision or Kubota? Liability is something that impacts businesses each day, many have little experience with what impact that has on the dealer, but definitely a factor for them today. Many great comments on the topic that get your mind churning over the impact of how decisions such these weigh in with folks. Additional they define how that voice echos with Kubota as a manufacturer. MHarryE made a valid comment with our next gen.!

Loved the booger comment, made me chuckle!

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #276  
Interesting, my question is what does what does this mean, was this a dealer decision or Kubota?
Dealer decision. Our Kubota dealer is fine with me bringing our 3 year old in and she has been going there since she was a couple of months old.

Aaron Z

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #277  
Most stores/dealers try to maximize the amount of time their customers spend at the business. Even window shoppers may come back the next time with a wad of cash.

I suppose I spend very little time at car/tractor dealerships myself.

I do believe that at a place like a tractor dealership, at least young children should be accompanied by an adult at all times, and the adult should be responsible for the children's safety and any potential damages. Older children might get more freedom if they are respectful of others property.

The tractor dealership, of course, should make sure that keys are not in the vehicles, or the ignition systems are otherwise disabled, and that things like buckets or forks are stored in a safe manner.

If children are a problem, then perhaps make families with children sign in at least once in their lifetime which includes a one paragraph agreement of what is expected of all parties.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?
I was on the road yesterday and stopped by a Kubota/NewHolland Dealer...

I spoke with the owner and commented most of their inventory is street side on a gravel lot and open 24/7.

He said lots of folks will come by after hours and call back if they see something they like.

They had a number of new and a few used units out in the open and some RTV's too.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #279  
I was on the road yesterday and stopped by a Kubota/NewHolland Dealer...
I spoke with the owner and commented most of their inventory is street side on a gravel lot and open 24/7.
He said lots of folks will come by after hours and call back if they see something they like.
They had a number of new and a few used units out in the open and some RTV's too.
We did that before buying the BX2660...

Aaron Z

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #280  
remember the "old days" when driving through the dealer lot on Sundays was a fun, slow way to check out the
inventory? Maybe we were avoiding the old fashioned car salesmen who would chase you through the lot.
Today most dealerships are locked up on Sunday, at least in this area.

this got me to thinking...if McDonalds can make a safety vetted play area for their restaurants, why can't John Deere or Kubota
license something similar and offer a nice safe tractor oriented play area in an easily installed module?

Gosh, dealers could compete on how lavish their play areas are.

Billy: my Dad took me to John Deere World and boy, I got to drive a huge 5 series tractor! They had a big sand box and my tractor had
real lights too!

Sammy: well, my Dad took me to Kubota Land and I got to drive an even bigger M series! I got to drive right over this little broken down
John Deere. Kubota rules!

Priscilla: so? that's nothing. my wonderful father took me to the Fendt Haus where we had
wiener schnitzel and beer. I got to have beer too, and then I had a manicure. Stupid tractors. :D