Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #31  
My wife did some retail sales of her art and jewelry at various events. When kids showed up at the booth everyone had to be on alert. Sometimes the kids neglected to put the things back. Asking that their kids not pickup up the merchandise had much the same effect as we are seeing here. Even worse the kids and upset mothers would drive others away.

We 'got a clue' and started selling a few flashy cheap kid toys like paper kaleidoscopes at cost. The decoys worked on the majority of the mothers and kids. Over a long weekend it was not uncommon to sell a case of toys. Some mom's would chase their kids away from our booth because they were too cheap to buy they toys and knew their kids would insist. Win win.

I am not sure how one could manage this at a place like that tractor dealership. But right or wrong, and I do think it is wrong, parents often think retail equals playground. Attitudes have changed and fighting them can cost sales and lawsuits.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #32  
My wife did some retail sales of her art and jewelry at various events. When kids showed up at the booth everyone had to be on alert. Sometimes the kids neglected to put the things back. Asking that their kids not pickup up the merchandise had much the same effect as we are seeing here.

We 'got a clue' and started selling a few flashy cheap kid toys like paper kaleidoscopes at cost. The decoys worked on the majority of the kids. Mothers were glad to find something for the kids. Over a long weekend it was not uncommon to sell a case of toys. Some mom's would chase their kids away from our booth because they were too cheap to buy they toys and knew their kids would insist. Win win.

I am not sure how one could manage this at a place like that tractor dealership. But right or wrong, and I do think it is wrong, parents often think retail equals playground. Attitudes have changed and fighting them can cost sales and lawsuits.

Have you been to a deere dealership lately, in the KIDS toy section? It's right next to the big boys toy section! ;) I doubt that deere sale those toys at cost though, they're a little pricey.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #33  
Have you been to a deere dealership lately, in the KIDS toy section? It's right next to the big boys toy section! ;) I doubt that deere sale those toys at cost though, they're a little pricey.

I have not but should stop by the local one just for a look see. Still better to have kids playing on toys. even if they are expensive, instead of crawling around on equipment and getting hurt.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #34  

I bought my kids a JD gator ride on at Walmart last fall, I'm pretty sure it was on sale for about $300. I was just at my local Deere dealership and the same one was $450.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #35  
After seeing equipment ruined by child minded adults and their children running wild without supervision. There should be an electric fence around displayed equipment.

If a tractor can be "ruined" while sitting on the dealer's lot it probably isn't going to hold up to regular daily use anyway. Now, is there a chance of a knob or lever being broken by the over zealous? Probably, but that's a long way from being ruined.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #36  
If a tractor can be "ruined" while sitting on the dealer's lot it probably isn't going to hold up to regular daily use anyway. Now, is there a chance of a knob or lever being broken by the over zealous? Probably, but that's a long way from being ruined.

I was thinking the same thing. Even a knob coming off would tell me I'm looking at the wrong tractor. I'm a heck of a lot harder on my tractor than my kids could ever be!

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #37  
I must admit to having mixed emotions to this having seen people sue McDonalds for hot coffee or kids getting hurt on their playgrounds. Look how much different playgrounds are now than in the past. Tractor dealerships have a lot of sharp, pointy metal things around and while our kids may be perfect little angels, not all are. It seems that the lack of tact is as much of a problem here as any policies.

I've never taken any young children tractor shopping, but I know at my dealer if the salesman is not there someone will come out and show you tractors. The last one I bought, the owner came out to walk me around them. He is an older gentleman, even older than I, who has had some health, but he came out and showed me the tractor or as much about it as he knew. If he hadn't been there a parts guy or mechanic would have come out; customer service sells tractors.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #38  

I work part time for an auction company. A few weeks ago, on a preview date, we had someone punch the ignition switch out of a Case tractor to start it with a screw driver because the key wasn't in it. Funny thing is, neither was the battery, hence the reason the key was not present.

Its sad but they just chalked it up as a cost of doing business.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #39  
I work part time for an auction company. A few weeks ago, on a preview date, we had someone punch the ignition switch out of a Case tractor to start it with a screw driver because the key wasn't in it. Funny thing is, neither was the battery, hence the reason the key was not present.
Its sad but they just chalked it up as a cost of doing business.
When have you seen a child "punch the ignition switch out of a Case tractor to start it with a screw driver"?
That is vandalism or an idiotic adult, not something that a kid would do. I could see a kid breaking a key off (on purpose or on accident), but not breaking the keyswitch with a screwdriver.

Aaron Z

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #40  
I was thinking the same thing. Even a knob coming off would tell me I'm looking at the wrong tractor. I'm a heck of a lot harder on my tractor than my kids could ever be!
So the rational behind letting the kids run wild is that they are abuse testers? What about when they get hurt?