Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post

Are you 12?
    Haha that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by 3v0 View Post
    So the rational behind letting the kids run wild is that they are abuse testers? What about when they get hurt?
    When I was a kid they called that learning. Not only did we figure out not to do it again, we likely got a decent smack to reinforce our "learning" experience. Back then, parents didn't sue companies when their kids did dumb stuff. I don't see where he implied he was letting his kids run wild either.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post

I work part time for an auction company. A few weeks ago, on a preview date, we had someone punch the ignition switch out of a Case tractor to start it with a screw driver because the key wasn't in it. Funny thing is, neither was the battery, hence the reason the key was not present.

Its sad but they just chalked it up as a cost of doing business.
    "Yet another reason children shouldn't be allowed near equipment," I say sarcastically.

A dealer who prohibits my two year old from sitting on a tractor and going "vroom vroom" is not one who's going to get my business.

Elite Member
    Parts Supplier

Default Re: Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

we have kids on our lot all the time (mine included). We've not ever had a problem on our lot, but at fairs and stuff you do have to watch. Kids will jump on hoods and climb anything when their parents are not supervising them. For some reason a tractor is more of a piece of playground equipment than it is something to drive.

Tractor
    all makes and models

Being a dealer there is the chance that a child might move levers or fall off a tractor or machine and get hurt. We have no set policy for children but we do work with them if they need more attention if the parents are not paying attention to them. It is hard to set rules of not allowing them to be on the machines. We do have to remember they will be the next generation of users! We do offer popcorn as well as lollipops for the kids of all ages. When the children are well behaved it is a pleasure to have them at our store and often fun listening to the parents of trying to drive by without stopping!!!! I often joke that we have a great "boy toy shop for all ages" but the women today are often correcting me that they allow the husbands to come to help them with there machinery purchases.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

No guys, I'm sorry, I wasn't implicating a child. Just a worthless adult.

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by brain55 View Post
    When I was a kid they called that learning. Not only did we figure out not to do it again, we likely got a decent smack to reinforce our "learning" experience. Back then, parents didn't sue companies when their kids did dumb stuff. I don't see where he implied he was letting his kids run wild either.
    Totally agree. Kids need to learn respect for other peoples property and parents are responsible to teach them. I know this is becoming less and less common, but it doesn't mean all kids should be banned. Lawsuits don't work out the same here in Canada. Crazy awards given to people who refuse any personally responsibility/accountability just doesn't happen. Even in cases where companies are found liable, awards are generally pretty small.

In the example I gave about my kids playing in the boats at my marine dealer, I would never let my kids do anything that would leave a boat in anything less than the condition they found it in. My kids know they are new boats and are not ours, even my 2 year old.

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Speaking of play ground equipment, and linking it to this post......

I was at a building/ grounds equipment/ lawn furnishing dealer this past Sunday. They were closed, but I need to take a quick peek at something I am considering.

Turns out I was not the only person "looking" at the lot available. A couple with children were there taking full advantage of every swing/slide/building/ladder/birdfeeder they could. Until the wail from one of the kids, who had bounced his head off the asphalt brought his day to the end.

Supervised? Matter of opinion.

I guess I can see the dealers situation with both sides. I would not hold it against them, and would opt to wait for the sales person.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Parents need to understand that dealerships are like industrial environments not play grounds. I should be holding hand time. If they board a tractor, you be right there with them. Small or big tractor are nothing to play with, but there nothing wrong with the little curiosity either. So easy for a shoe lace to get caught around a bolt or pedal then they are doing a nose dive into the pavement.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by brain55 View Post
    LOL people almost never see THEIR kids as running wild. Even if ultrarunner's were not others do and it sets expectations, it sets the level of the bar. A visit Etiquette **** will show you just how bad it has gotten.

Am I the only one to see a double standard here.

Give the parents the benefit of doubt to fry the dealer based on a single incident. Unexpected things happen. This could well be an isolated case. Maybe people were off sick or there was an abnormal number of off site repairs to be done that day. Seems fickle to go off on the dealership without knowing.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast