Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Hanomag

Default Re: Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

I think courtesy requires that people ask permission to allow their kids to climb on, pick at, or mess with merchandise of any type. As said, it doesn't belong to you. And I wouldn't chose my tractor dealer based on their rules for the children of customers anyways.

A fair way to ask would be "Can my child sit on the tractor, I will be minding him/her, or would you rather we not do that?", for example.

Super Star Member
    SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

A properly parked tractor should be relatively safe... the first thing that comes to mind is leaving a light switch on.

My nephew and nieces grew up around cars I restored... my niece has showed cars at Ironstone Winery in the Sierra Foothills and at age 6 won the good cheer basket... she went up on stage to claim her prize and was told to get Mom and Dad and she said they are at home ;-)

Working at the car Dealership... I had no hesitations about correcting bad behavior... fortunately... this was not a common occurrence.

The Model A Club stopped for lunch and when one of the members came out he found the hood of his car folded back and two kids inside his car... he got angry and the father said what's the big deal... don't you like kids... they just wanted to see the car. The owner went over the guys car and got in the drivers seat, popped the hood and the wife started screaming and the guy ran over and said he was calling the police... the Model A owner said he just wanted to see the car...

The kids know to have hands in their pockets unless they have permission.
    Last edited by ultrarunner; 04-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

Quote Originally Posted by Nooodles View Post
    No are you? I'm 14 and a half now
    Nooodles;

I am sure you think you are acting appropriately, but the fact is that you are behaving as a 10 year old. You are not old enough to drive, date, or even shave, and the "and a half" doesn't impress anyone. I sincerely hope that you live long enough, and have parents who care enough to teach you a few manners. However, when I see that you are spending your time, sitting unsupervised on a blog, and no telling where else online, I am not sure that the guidance is going to come from the home.

Adolescence is a tough time. You have one foot trying to enter adulthood, but you are still a child. You might want to keep quiet, and try to learn something, as the gentlemen on this thread are much more experienced in tractors than you are, and I'm sure wouldn't mind helping you, if you tried a different approach. As it is, you come across as a brat.

If you are lucky enough to make it to 30-35, and have truly learned some things, I think you'll look back on such as your postings and think "What an arrogant, little kid I was then".

I have been around tractors my entire life, and I still find that I have much that I can learn from the wealth of knowledge this site offers. Even if I don't agree with everyone here, on every topic, I know that each person has a background they are coming from, and that they might be right, in the situations they have experienced. The only way to gain from their experiences, is to shut up and listen/read, and ask intelligent questions, when appropriate. And, if you get to be as old as some of us, and want to cop the attitude, at least folks might figure you have earned the right to be old and cranky.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by Nooodles View Post
    No are you? I'm 14 and a half now
    I actually thought you were kidding when I first read this, I guess I was wrong.

I consider myself young and inexperienced among the people here, and am exactly twice your age. You don't even seem like a mature 14 year old.... sorry, make that 14 1/2.

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post

I actually thought you were kidding when I first read this, I guess I was wrong.

I consider myself young and inexperienced among the people here, and am exactly twice your age. You don't even seem like a mature 14 year old.... sorry, make that 14 1/2.
    X 2!!!!
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    2012 JD3032e

I remember the days of my Father and Grandfather taking me around to the local tractor dealers, getting to sit on tractors and listen to all the barbershop stories the patrons of such places would spin at the counter. I have three children, from 14 to 3, and all go with me to the local tractor dealers, grocery store, harley shop, gun shops, and I have never had any of those places tell me childern were not allowed. My wife and I do take the responsibility to supervise them, and they are told before entering to not touch anything, and the younger two are always holding either my wife or my hands while looking about. My son sits on tractors or looks at guns, or strolls though the harley shop as much as I do and knows how to respect others property and belongings. Are they perfect, of course not, it is human nature to make mistakes, and especially for children to be
    rowdy and playful. They see things through a different set of eyes than adults do and it is the duty of the parents to know and understand that. I would not do business with any dealer who lashed out at my children or had such a policy that they were not allowed there. I read that someones sister in law said that people who owned tractors should not have children ? What kind of an idiotic statement is that. I suppose families should not have forks and spoons because they make people fat, pencils because they spell words incorrectly etc, etc, etc... People like this are not responsible and probably the leading reason we have such a liberal court system who empathise with irresponsible and ignorant adults. Just my two cents...
    2012 JD 3032e
    305 FEL
    RC2048
    KK BB60
    2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 C.Cab, Cummins, Big Horn with a stick.
    2005 HD FXDWG

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Nooodles;

I am sure you think you are acting appropriately, but the fact is that you are behaving as a 10 year old. You are not old enough to drive, date, or even shave, and the "and a half" doesn't impress anyone. I sincerely hope that you live long enough, and have parents who care enough to teach you a few manners. However, when I see that you are spending your time, sitting unsupervised on a blog, and no telling where else online, I am not sure that the guidance is going to come from the home.

Adolescence is a tough time. You have one foot trying to enter adulthood, but you are still a child. You might want to keep quiet, and try to learn something, as the gentlemen on this thread are much more experienced in tractors than you are, and I'm sure wouldn't mind helping you, if you tried a different approach. As it is, you come across as a brat.

If you are lucky enough to make it to 30-35, and have truly learned some things, I think you'll look back on such as your postings and think "What an arrogant, little kid I was then".

I have been around tractors my entire life, and I still find that I have much that I can learn from the wealth of knowledge this site offers. Even if I don't agree with everyone here, on every topic, I know that each person has a background they are coming from, and that they might be right, in the situations they have experienced. The only way to gain from their experiences, is to shut up and listen/read, and ask intelligent questions, when appropriate. And, if you get to be as old as some of us, and want to cop the attitude, at least folks might figure you have earned the right to be old and cranky.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by yelbike View Post
    X 2!!!!
    Wow, I'm a little confused. I've gone back through the thread and read the two posts by Nooodles (unless a few were trimmed) and I haven't been able to figure out why you guys are picking on a kid.

farmgirl19, I think you should re-read your own post, you try and school nooodles as an arrogant little kid and a brad, but come off not looking any better.

mikehaugen, at 29, there are people here who are twice your age and I'd hazard a guess maybe even three times. I don't see any of them telling you your opinion doesn't count because of your age.

I must be missing something, a post must have been deleted or something, but I don't see what he wrote being any worse than what others who have taken that side of the argument have said. I don't happen to agree with him, but I'm able to act my age and respectfully disagree.

Tractor
    1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery

kiotiken; I'm guessing you have missed some of the posts. However, I reread mine, as you suggested and, given his posts that I have read, I'll stand behind my post that you questioned.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she would never grow into an old nag.

If you're going to climb in the saddle, better be ready for the ride!

"If you see someone without a smile, give them yours!" - Dolly Parton

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by kiotiken View Post
    Wow, I'm a little confused. I've gone back through the thread and read the two posts by Nooodles (unless a few were trimmed) and I haven't been able to figure out why you guys are picking on a kid.

farmgirl19, I think you should re-read your own post, you try and school nooodles as an arrogant little kid and a brad, but come off not looking any better.

mikehaugen, at 29, there are people here who are twice your age and I'd hazard a guess maybe even three times. I don't see any of them telling you your opinion doesn't count because of your age.

I must be missing something, a post must have been deleted or something, but I don't see what he wrote being any worse than what others who have taken that side of the argument have said. I don't happen to agree with him, but I'm able to act my age and respectfully disagree.
    I did say that I consider myself young, as I know that there are a lot of people 2 or 3 times my age. I DID NOT say anything about someone's opinion not counting, I was merely stating that his maturity level was not quite where it should be to be making comments about other posters being "keyboard commandos" or whatnot.

There are a lot of young people on this board, probably more than we even know because they converse like adults. There is one in particular that posts a lot that it took me a long time to find out that he was actually very close in age to the one we are speaking about- I still forget since I don't automatically think about it when I read his posts. Noodles I could tell right away (once I realized he wasn't joking in his first 2 posts), and it isn't because he stated his age. It was only reinforced more by his subsequent posts.

To put it simply, I will listen to an opinion from someone of any age, as long as it is expressed in an appropriate manner.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

I just thought I should come back and add this. I can't speak for FarmGirl, but I would have to think she feels the same way. I don't want to scare off Noodles, or discourage him from posting in any way.

Just some advice is that he should be a little more reserved... have an opinion but express it a little differently. I think of this place as a bunch of guys (and ladies) standing around talking, and I don't think a 14 year old coming up with such a headstrong attitude trying to be opinionated about how to handle children would be received very well by me (or probably most people).

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast