Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #61  
I bet its not a policy, but rather at a grumpy old receptionist. I wonder how many deals she's killed.

My thoughts exactly....also kinda would kill sales all together one would think. One question, That dealer pedal NH products also??

Cranky people make poor, poor dealer employees commission sales paid, receptionist, counter/cash register manager or not. Those types are suppose to be stocking shelves, sweeping the shop floor or checking the scented puck thing in the urinal, not in contact with the general public.

No kids allowed and NEED to have a salesman..... A lie smeared with B.S.

You did that dealer and yourself a favor by simply leaving, good call.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #62  
No kids? Kids grow up to be tractor buying adults don't they?

Dalton Tractor02.jpg

My boy loves the NH dealership. Even got a neat little blue tractor (just like Daddy's) given to him by the parts guy the last time we were there.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #63  
Nope, I do believe you have all missed the main reasons. After talking with my local JD dealers (at 2 locations here), the answer is the same: The kids steal pins, knobs, tire valve stem caps, dipsticks and worse: keys from the demos. Parents think its an amusement park for their kids to play on the machinery, they tear the plastic covering off of the new tractor's seat, they spray the paint cans that are on the shelf, they try to break into the candy machines, they steal the charity candy bars, go behind the counter to play with the computers, and they annoy serious buyers by distracting those wanting to make a deal.

Well behaved kids were fine, but the brats ruined it for all. All it takes is one slob family with two monsters and its No-Joy for all kinds of sales ventures. Funny how the parents seem to think its their right of passage. They say that they can tell by the look of their CAR when they arrive that there is going to be some trouble.

Now I'm sure all you folks believe YOUR kids and YOUR grandkids are little freakin' angels, but the record shows that's not always the case. And change their diaper in your car, not in that brand new front loader bucket.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #64  
Nope, I do believe you have all missed the main reasons. After talking with my local JD dealers (at 2 locations here), the answer is the same: The kids steal pins, knobs, tire valve stem caps, dipsticks and worse: keys from the demos. Parents think its an amusement park for their kids to play on the machinery, they tear the plastic covering off of the new tractor's seat, they spray the paint cans that are on the shelf, they try to break into the candy machines, they steal the charity candy bars, go behind the counter to play with the computers, and they annoy serious buyers by distracting those wanting to make a deal.

Well behaved kids were fine, but the brats ruined it for all. All it takes is one slob family with two monsters and its No-Joy for all kinds of sales ventures. Funny how the parents seem to think its their right of passage. They say that they can tell by the look of their CAR when they arrive that there is going to be some trouble.

Now I'm sure all you folks believe YOUR kids and YOUR grandkids are little freakin' angels, but the record shows that's not always the case. And change their diaper in your car, not in that brand new front loader bucket.

So Messicks has never had a problem, but both of your local JD dealers have had LOTS of problems...or at least enough problems that both of them discussed it with you. Sounds like a local pint-size hooligan epidemic. Maybe you Michigan folks should get out the belt more often.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #65  
When I want to go and look at tractors at a dealership, the last think I want to see is a bunch of hooligans ramming around jumping on the tractors and playing with the controls. I know what they do, I have grand-kids. I am thinking most parents don't control their kids in dealerships and that is why they brought this rule to the forefront. I don't know how many people are just looking for tractors or are just entertaining the kids on somebody elses stuff.

Who ever makes a deal or has to have a two year olds advice on what tractor to buy. Leave them home and give yourself a break. You will enjoy it and so will the other costumers. This isn't meant to disparage those people with well behaved kids, but that is the minority it seems.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #66  
I did say that I consider myself young, as I know that there are a lot of people 2 or 3 times my age. I DID NOT say anything about someone's opinion not counting, I was merely stating that his maturity level was not quite where it should be to be making comments about other posters being "keyboard commandos" or whatnot.

There are a lot of young people on this board, probably more than we even know because they converse like adults. There is one in particular that posts a lot that it took me a long time to find out that he was actually very close in age to the one we are speaking about- I still forget since I don't automatically think about it when I read his posts. Noodles I could tell right away (once I realized he wasn't joking in his first 2 posts), and it isn't because he stated his age. It was only reinforced more by his subsequent posts.

To put it simply, I will listen to an opinion from someone of any age, as long as it is expressed in an appropriate manner.

CompactTractorFan is pretty young and has been posting a while and their are others, once known as the "Young Guns" and no you really don't know their ages unless they mention it.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?
I read that someones sister in law said that people who owned tractors should not have children ? What kind of an idiotic statement is that. I suppose families should not have forks and spoons because they make people fat, pencils because they spell words incorrectly etc, etc, etc... People like this are not responsible and probably the leading reason we have such a liberal court system who empathise with irresponsible and ignorant adults. Just my two cents...

That would be my sister-in-law... she is not a farm girl and she made a flip remark in the car in response to the dealership woman who said children are not allowed implying it was too dangerous.

We... meaning by brother, his wife, their two kids and myself were the only ones there plus the woman that came out of the office and walked across the lot...

Didn't see any keys and implements were down or pinned.

Never did think about theft... it really didn't cross my mind.

There were two things we kept in the office selling cars... the owner's manual and the cigarette lighters.

I wonder what the Dealerships without fenced yards do after hours?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #68  
its how kids are raised i dont let kids get away with stuff i smack there butts with my hand my 7 year old nephew knows better when he with me i was raised you do something wrong your rear was kicked

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #69  
Wow, I'm a little confused. I've gone back through the thread and read the two posts by Nooodles (unless a few were trimmed) and I haven't been able to figure out why you guys are picking on a kid.

There was some mild name calling (not by Noodles) that caused a few posts to be deleted, including posts that quoted the insults.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #70  
Imagine mom and dad looking at a tractor, and their two boys, aged 6 and 8 are with them. The two boys are playing around the tractor immediately next to mom and dad....not even 10 ft away. Nobody notices, but the back of the bucket is elevated because the person who parked it last didn't think about it. The younger boy is playing at the front of the tractor when the older boy pushes forward on the loader control, lowering it onto his younger brothers, arm, foot, leg, head, breaking it....not all that far-fetched.

It's also not crazy to think someone could leave the key in a tractor...they get a phone call just as they're finishing up a demo with a customer, and rush off to take the call, leaving the key in the ignition. Think a small kid can't get into a place that could injure/kill him/her if the engine was started?

I'm not saying I would ban kids from my lot (not that I have one), but I can see the obvious possible issues....these aren't cars, or boats, or motorcycles, and need to be treated a bit differently.