Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership?
<sigh> I'll skip the grammar and punctuation lesson, but there is irony in your statement that speaks volumes.

I never said the various items in question didn't need to be treated with respect, but that doesn't mean you treat them the same way. A tractor, or other piece of heavy equipment, has far more ways to hurt you...that's not even remotely in question. That means you have to be more careful around them...end of story.

I can walk through a showroom full of motorcycles, and there is almost no scenario where I could easily cause myself serious injury or death...not true walking around a heavy equipment lot.

Not meant to be argumentative...

I know a family with toddler that was injured by a falling bike at a Dealership. I consider tractors with implements pinned or in the down position safer.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #82  
Im up and all over the tractors at various dealers. Whether during business hours or after. What can I say... I like heavy equipment, so much that I spent some of my life fixing it:D.

Now if a dealer came to me and said that I cant do that without a salesman... Im gone! If I need a salesman, I know where to go to find one. Same goes for car salesmen. I prefer to shop on my own, thank you!

As to kids.. Im torn. I have my own and I keep them on a tight leash, plus they are respectful. But there are many that arent. And I know that there must be some parents who treat the tractor dealer as a jungle gym, however there are better ways to treat this than telling them to leave, particularly if they are being respectful. Its a great way to lose a sale. I'd suggest a call to the dealer owner to tell him just that. My kids were welcomed with open arms at all the dealers I went to (various brands) and that welcoming feeling goes a long way to making me make a purchase.

I know that JD is HEAVILY embracing the whole "Country Lifestyle" at some local dealers. From guns and rods to KIDS TOYS. They also have a bit of a play area and sandbox. And a kids/family BBQ day a few times in the summer. I think that JD gets it and understands that these kids out there drooling and crawling over the tractors are the next generation of purchasers. You wonder why JD does so well, this is a good reason, get them indoctrinated at a young age!

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #83  
All of the local tractor dealers take tractors to the county fair, where kids big and small climb over them all day and night long. They even put a sliding board on a combine, so the kids can slide down.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #84  
I'm a dealer, and I like kids. I like families. Any exercise that strengthens them is a good thing. I think looking at tractors as a family is a great, even if it is just a "field trip". If people bring in their kids it just brightens our day. They are welcome to sit on the tractors. We make sure the loaders are down and the keys are removed. Sometimes we have to go turn off the 4 way flashers and make sure the throttles are pushed back down after they leave. We can do that! We have several hundred tractors in stock, and we are in California. We are aware of liability issues, and it is true that some caution must be taken. But it is also true that some risks are worth it.

If a kid has not been raised well or is just a handful for some reason and wants to chuck rocks at our cab tractors, that is a problem and we carefully address it. But we see maybe one wild-child for every 25 well behaved kids. Tractor folks tend to work the land and they seem to raise their kids well. It's a nice community. I'd much prefer they bring the kids than leave them home playing video games or whatever.

So Ultrarunner, come on up and bring kids.

Dave I'm a little far to be a customer, but I would wager a fair amount of money that your family approach is spot on with most tractor customers. JMHO! Don't change because of that 1 in 25. Remember that means 24 were good to great.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #85  
It's all in the way a sales person presents a statement that makes or breaks a deal. There is a right way and a wrong way to express their rules.Coming out and stating as in the original post is surely not a way to make a sale. She could of explained in a different manner that would of changed to whole outlook to the end situation.
My grandson goes everywhere with me, when he's with me, and know what he can and can't do. And knows the result for doing wrong. (when he's with his mom, he's a winey brat)

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #86  
Back in the middle of the last century, when I was growing up, I attended the State Fair, held in Springfield, MA. I was eleven. I was fascinated by all the tractors. Cockshutt had an exhibit, with about fifteen tractors; small to big. They were a Canadian firm, trying to make a presence in New England. There was one tractor, about the size of a Ford 8N, that I fell in love with. When the parade was about to begin, I asked the dealer if I could drive it in the parade. (He had lots of people to drive the big tractors.) After assuring himself that I could drive, he said yes. What a thrill! I will always remember that tractor, and that dealer.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #87  
Wow, the deal, the damage, the discipline. Really??? We are our own worst enemy. How about doing it for the passion, the fire in the belly and all the reasons you and I begged to go with our dad, uncle or grandpa to the dealer. I grew up on a poor dirt farm in the UP and getting to sit on a new piece of equipment was just dreaming. Now that I am old enough and have enough of my own money, I am the deal. No damage was done and the only discipline required was me waiting 30 years to become that customer and be the deal. Let the kids in, ignite some passion and let them dream. It's the right thing to do. The liability, insurance and lawsuits will take care of themselves.

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #88  
I used my kids to speed up a deal on a car once. The dealer had a seemingly endless list of things to bump the previously agreed upon price, and every one required discussion with his manager. So I stuck my 3 and 5 year olds in a showroom minivan and gave the salesman my full attention. Things moved along fine after that.
The way I saw it, if you wanna play the third party pressure game to wear me down, you'll have to put up with the kiddy party pressure game as my defense. :)

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #89  
A properly parked tractor should be relatively safe... the first thing that comes to mind is leaving a light switch on.

My nephew and nieces grew up around cars I restored... my niece has showed cars at Ironstone Winery in the Sierra Foothills and at age 6 won the good cheer basket... she went up on stage to claim her prize and was told to get Mom and Dad and she said they are at home ;-)

Working at the car Dealership... I had no hesitations about correcting bad behavior... fortunately... this was not a common occurrence.

The Model A Club stopped for lunch and when one of the members came out he found the hood of his car folded back and two kids inside his car... he got angry and the father said what's the big deal... don't you like kids... they just wanted to see the car. The owner went over the guys car and got in the drivers seat, popped the hood and the wife started screaming and the guy ran over and said he was calling the police... the Model A owner said he just wanted to see the car...

The kids know to have hands in their pockets unless they have permission.

Amen Brother

/ Kids not allowed at Tractor Dealership? #90  
I'm a dealer, and I like kids. I like families. Any exercise that strengthens them is a good thing. I think looking at tractors as a family is a great, even if it is just a "field trip". If people bring in their kids it just brightens our day. They are welcome to sit on the tractors. We make sure the loaders are down and the keys are removed. Sometimes we have to go turn off the 4 way flashers and make sure the throttles are pushed back down after they leave. We can do that! We have several hundred tractors in stock, and we are in California. We are aware of liability issues, and it is true that some caution must be taken. But it is also true that some risks are worth it.

If a kid has not been raised well or is just a handful for some reason and wants to chuck rocks at our cab tractors, that is a problem and we carefully address it. But we see maybe one wild-child for every 25 well behaved kids. Tractor folks tend to work the land and they seem to raise their kids well. It's a nice community. I'd much prefer they bring the kids than leave them home playing video games or whatever.

So Ultrarunner, come on up and bring kids.

I think this is in the top ten of my favorite post ever on TBN. I would gladly give your dealership a look if you were close by.