Belarus tractors

/ Belarus tractors #61  
Got me curious now. I didn't know farm tractors had the ability to put down pressure on the 3 pt. One would think that you could jack the back tires up sufficiently to loose traction. Probably why most tractors don't have them. Did some of the Belarus tractors have 2 cyl air cooled engines? Seems when I was at that dealer I saw cooling fins along the cylinders.

You could if you wanted to, but I don't see it as a negative. It also has draft control, if your pulling something that needs it. Kind of handy to be able to fix a flat without a jack....just need blocks and use the 3PH to lift the tractor. Of course you put more blocks under the frame before working on it.

Yes, some of the smaller tractors were air cooled.

I'm sure not saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, but they do have a few benefits.

/ Belarus tractors #62  
I don't know if they are actually tougher than a JD or MF, but you don't see videos of tractors in North America getting worked that hard.

They must have a really strong frame and rear end to take that, lots of iron. If their gear trans were equally tough,
plain and simple wins the day. Or at least keeps running.

As Hill Farmer mentioned they do have a few interesting features along with their short comings in other areas.

On the liquid cooled model's they have a goofy little blind type roller thing in front of the rad that is adustable from the cab. Some thought it was because they don't have thermostates but its actually for cold weather operation instead of sticking some card board in front of the rad etc.

They also have a little flapper valve on the intake mainfold you can pull close to prevent an engine run away.

It has a shiftable pto from 540 to 1000 which is handy. I just leave the 540 shaft in all the time and when I run a 540 pto driven auger I shift it to 1000 drive and run the engine at 1200 or so. For my 1000 drive grain vac I just slip a 540 to 1000 adapter on the 540 shaft.

It has a separate self contained hydraulic tank with pump. Now at first I thought this wasn't a good idea as all my other tractors have common sump for the trans/diff and hydraulics using your typical THD oil. Till one time I had a bearing go out of one of my old CASE transmissions and get filings into everything including my powershift valve body which caused more grief :thumbdown:. Also on my 825 Belarus if you don't need the hydraulics you can shift the hydraulic pump out of gear. Which we've done when we used it for square baling years ago. Why bother having the hydraulics running all day for nothing. It has a spearate power steering pump on the engine and its own reservoir.

For cold starts it has a little tiny tank that holds diesel on top of the intake manifold. With a little gizmo in the intake manifold so that when you push a button a element heats up red hot. Then when you crank it over it allows diesel to drip down on the element creating a diesel vapor which makes for better starting. My Valtra has the same sort of system.

The disc brakes are external and servicable out side the trans housing after a steel cover is removed like on my Old Case 970. Some tractors they're internal and when the linings wear out pieces of linning go into places it shouldn't and cause issues.

The 825 has no spin on oil filter or paper air filter elment. They use a centrifical oil spinner filter system you have to pull a part and wash out with varsol. The air filter is oil bath with a combinations of 3 plastic filter type mesh elements you clean out as needed. The newer models though have switched to normal air cleaner paper elements and spin oil filters. Although I see some newer ones have both the spin on filter plus the centrifical spinner.

Amoung other lower cost import tractors they are a heavier tractor in their size and hp class. For example a Mahindra 8560 MFD Cab tractor @ 83hp wieghs 8122lbs. The eqivalent Belarus/MTZ @ 85hp wieghts 9472lbs However the Manhindra has more options & a more modern look so I guess its what you're looking for in a tractor.

In other parts of the world tractors are used for farming along with just transportation, pulling trailers and even ... racing if you can believe it. So with economics and availabity they typically run their equipment a long time no matter what brand it seems.

Last edited:
   / Belarus tractors #63  
I had a 420AN for several years, and I believe it was 57 hp and it was air cooled. I think it was the biggest engine that Belarus imported to the US that was air cooled, but I might be wrong. In all the years that I had it and ran it in hot weather, it never overheated as far as I could tell (it had an oil temperature guage as well as an oil pressure gauge). It held about 3 gallons of oil. I switched from dino to synthetic oil about half way through my ownership of it and it ran cooler and a little quieter (although it was still extremely loud).

Worst problem, far and away, was the electrical system. And the batteries were a pain in the @$$ to get on and off (tucked up under the hood by the firewall). And the transmission shifted funny. And it was loud. But it was a rugged beast, I'll give it that. The 3ph had way for lifting power than I ever needed, and the components were very beefy.

I've never completely ruled out owning another one, if I could find one real cheap. As far as I can tell, around this area, there are a few farmers that use them, and typically have several of them that (I presume) they picked up cheap. I don't think I would want a Belarus as my one and only tractor, but for a cheap second tractor, maybe not a bad option, if you can do your own repair/upgrade work.

/ Belarus tractors #64  
I had a 420AN for several years, and I believe it was 57 hp and it was air cooled. I think it was the biggest engine that Belarus imported to the US that was air cooled, but I might be wrong. In all the years that I had it and ran it in hot weather, it never overheated as far as I could tell (it had an oil temperature guage as well as an oil pressure gauge). It held about 3 gallons of oil. I switched from dino to synthetic oil about half way through my ownership of it and it ran cooler and a little quieter (although it was still extremely loud).

Worst problem, far and away, was the electrical system. And the batteries were a pain in the @$$ to get on and off (tucked up under the hood by the firewall). And the transmission shifted funny. And it was loud. But it was a rugged beast, I'll give it that. The 3ph had way for lifting power than I ever needed, and the components were very beefy.

I've never completely ruled out owning another one, if I could find one real cheap. As far as I can tell, around this area, there are a few farmers that use them, and typically have several of them that (I presume) they picked up cheap. I don't think I would want a Belarus as my one and only tractor, but for a cheap second tractor, maybe not a bad option, if you can do your own repair/upgrade work.

I've never been around those air cooled ones.

I've heard/read more than once guys who don't mind the brand and having one around as a 2nd tractor but saying they wouldn't buy a new one. Well at least not while they can still purchase low hour used ones for a bargin. I've talked to guys who've bought cherry belarus's for ridiculous low prices, right place and the right time I guess.

/ Belarus tractors #65  
I have an early 80's 400A two wheel drive and would not trade it for any of the newer tractors. All my friends have Deere and Kubota and trash talk my Belarus but have yet had one come over and out pull me.

/ Belarus tractors #66  
I have an early 80's 400A two wheel drive and would not trade it for any of the newer tractors. All my friends have Deere and Kubota and trash talk my Belarus but have yet had one come over and out pull me.

:welcome:
nice to have you Choke. A lot of folk here would like to hear about your experiences.
Just not a tractor we see a lot around here. But if we lived in Minsk or Pinsk...

pictures are always appreciated.

/ Belarus tractors #67  
Thanks for the welcome. will add a picture soon.

/ Belarus tractors #68  
I bought my tractor couple of years ago from a diesel and hydraulic shop ( they could not get it running ) I had it running in a couple of hours after we made the deal of course the injector pump was low on oil filled it to proper level and a hot battery started pretty quick. Have been using it to clear our property and I don't have any complaints. I pull a 9 foot bush hog for the grass and a 6 foot for cutting trees this tractor has exceeded my expectations! When I pull a 6 foot disc in power down tractor doesn't hesitate. Overall has plenty of power other than the strange shift pattern tractor is a great piece of equipment.

/ Belarus tractors #69  
The Belarus tractors are made by the MTZ factory. MTZ = "Minsk Tractor Works".
Belarus is a former Soviet republic/satellite, and now is an independent country since the fall of the Soviet Union.
Minks is the capital of Belarus and its largest city, this is where the MTZ factory is located.
MTZ was, and might still be the largest tractor factory in the former East Bloc.
Just about every East Block country was using mostly Belarus tractors until the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall.

Here is a very nice video of the Minsk Tractor Works.
История МТЗ - YouTube

/ Belarus tractors #70  
Last I had heard the Minsk Tractor Factory was the largest square foot building in the world. That was like 5-10 years ago, so I don't know if it's still true (or if it was really 100% true at the time).