Belarus tractors

/ Belarus tractors #1  

gimpel

Tractor
Belarus-82
Hi! My name is Peter, I'm the CEO in one of russian dealers of Minsk Tractor's Plant.
I'd like to get some ideas how to supply our tractors to north-american market. And, for end-users, have you any interest in buying time-approved solid tractors (from 50 to 160hp) with cheap spare parts and easy-to-fix? For example, 82hp 4x4 tractor will cost about 27.000-30.000USD for end buyer. The quality is much better than chinese tractors with comparable prices.
Thank you! Regards, Peter.

/ Belarus tractors #2  
Wasnt there some sort of trade restrictions with Belarus,that prevented importing them?

/ Belarus tractors #3  
Peter,
welcome.

Belarus (tractor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sounds like you guys have "come a long way" and
can now compete in the more sophisticated markets.
But lots of folk like a basic tractor too.

one of the things you will find on this forum is that most members are very
dealer sensitive, we tractor owners wants parts and service and we don't want to wait for them
more than a day or two. Until you can demonstrate your intentions for dealer networks, and service/parts
capability, you can only compete on price.

The article above stated you had/did have a dealer network in the US before. What was the story on that?
What are you going to do differently?

I wonder if Tractor Supply Co wants a line of tractors?...
Good luck.

/ Belarus tractors #4  
I do not know how to say this gently. Belarus is not new to the US market. IMHO Belarus needs to work on quality and the public perception of its quality and durability. That's going to take more then advertising. I would start by offering longer warranties then the competition.

Now before anyone offers to cut me off at the knees. A dealer brought a Belarus combine out to dads farm in western North Dakota, I do not recall when. It was accompanied by a factory mechanic. He could not keep the thing moving and there was a lot of wheat going out the back end. That was decades ago and things may have improved.

/ Belarus tractors #5  
My Kubota dealer was a Belarus and Long dealer before he picked up the Kubota line. There are still a few of the Belarus rusting away around here and many more were sold as scrap. There are a lot of horror stories about them. The most humorous story about the usefulness of them was they were very heavy and made a good anchor. To regain consumer confidence and acceptance will be a long, slow process.

/ Belarus tractors #6  
I had an 804 and the thing was trying to find parts. It was a nice heavy tractor,liked the power down 3pt,the gears where kinda hard to find but over all if could have found parts,wouldnt have sold it for parts.

/ Belarus tractors #7  
I do not know how to say this gently. Belarus is not new to the US market. IMHO Belarus needs to work on quality and the public perception of its quality and durability. That's going to take more then advertising. I would start by offering longer warranties then the competition.

Now before anyone offers to cut me off at the knees. A dealer brought a Belarus combine out to dads farm in western North Dakota, I do not recall when. It was accompanied by a factory mechanic. He could not keep the thing moving and there was a lot of wheat going out the back end. That was decades ago and things may have improved.

This has been my experience with the product also. I knew about a dozen farmers that tried them and of the dozen or so tractors, only 2 didn't break every 5 minutes. One was owned by a horse guy who never worked it. The other did get worked, but 1 out of 10-12 that didn't need major work. Fuel usage was also an issue, they seemed to use a lot more fuel than a similar sized IH or Deere.

I remember an ad back in the day that it said for the price of one of these, with a picture of a Deere. Below it said you could own 3 of these, with 3 pictures of these tractors. One farmer that owned one saw that ad and said to me, "you need 3 of them, because only one would be running." "The other 2 will either be in the shop or waiting for parts".

/ Belarus tractors #8  
I dont know what sizes had problems, but the 40 hp sized had some intresting features from what I understand. 30W oil and diesel are the only fluids you needed, and at least some models had down preasure on the 3 pt. Yes yes I know im going to get lynched fir this but I like simple, and I like down preasure. But then agian im not currently in the market, but I would think they can get better quality coming out of Minsk or Kiev then from China, and Jinma seems to have its nitch.

/ Belarus tractors #9  
When looking at a 65 horse power tractor I was impressed with the price and the 4x4 capability. this was five years back. Avoided one that had the four wheel drive needing attention. simply put no parts available. Everyone new someone that had one one but not anymore. Simply put you will have a hard time overcoming a previous lack of dealership support. good equipment or not 30,000 is to much of a gamble for many of us.

/ Belarus tractors #10  
Great to hear. I bought 2 new in 94 and one used. I would want the simple transmission say a 8 or 10 speed with some sync. I still use a 562 9 speed. I dislike the big jump between 8 a working speed and 9 a road speed. I would want a lower platform cab or seat. The older models just sat too high. The cab is just too tight and hard to get in. I like the fwd of the older models and the differential lock. Replace the 3 hydraulic sticks with a joystick for the outlets and a single lever for the rear arms. Simplify the electronics. Brales that dont grab and are easily adjusted.
I probably would buy from a local stable faithful honest dealer. I would want a 5 year powertrain and 1 year anything with 1 year if I dont like it take it back warranty.
And yes I like the one I use its a good loader tractor.