Price Check Vintage Ford 3500 TLB: Bite Or Pass?

/ Vintage Ford 3500 TLB: Bite Or Pass? #1  

firstfruitsfarm

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 555, Ford 3500 TLB, Ford 9N
Ford 3500 TLB: Bite Or Pass?

Asking price: $6000. Model 7D17B 5600 hrs (meter still works). I need to get about 200 hrs of ditching done without major headaches; about 70% backhoe work, 30% loader work.

The not so good:
  1. Power steering cylinder leaking pretty badly.
  2. Play in hoe swing chain sprocket; chain seems ok; hoe flops back & forth a bit, binds at right swing extent.
  3. One hoe line leaking at valve block.
  4. One loader valve leaking.
  5. Engine oil recently replaced, but hydraulic of unknown age.
  6. Return lines from injectors weeping, cracked.
  7. Play in steering knuckles and tie rod ends.
  8. Cuts in sidewall of one tire (only 4-ply ag); not leaking. Other tire pretty new 6-ply.
  9. Hand pump/filter housing after water separators/filters leaking.

The good:
  1. Clutch in good shape (stalls tractor without slipping).
  2. Brakes work well (drum).
  3. Starts well when cold.

What would you offer? Thanks.

/ Vintage Ford 3500 TLB: Bite Or Pass? #2  
pass- will need constant repair to do that much work

my :2cents: worth

/ Vintage Ford 3500 TLB: Bite Or Pass? #3  
$6k is a lot of money for that tractor. I'd go $4-4-3/4 depending on what BH (750-753-755) is on it and what buckets come with it. Condition/model# of loader, does it have a 3pt, pto,differential lock, year of the tractor. Are there any welds on the loader. What are the serial numbers on the tractor? The 3500 is a Ford 3000 with a different front axle. The parts are everywhere for the thousand series tractors. I don't think you will have much of a problem fixing what needs to be done fairly easy and cheap, you could expect it to last a long time.

/ Vintage Ford 3500 TLB: Bite Or Pass?
OP here. Thanks for the help, guys. Well, I "bit." I offered $4K, and the owner settled for $4.5. It's still 60 mi away, and I'm arranging transportation. Here are the numbers as I know them: 535 loader and 753 backhoe; manual reversing, 4-speed, dual-range transmission, has a pto shift lever (can't see in front of hoe for shaft), no differential lock. Here are the numbers and how I read them--no guarantees about accuracy--maybe one of you wizards can decipher:
7D17B
35012G
C179605
7G31
I can keep you up to date on "recommissioning" as it occurs, if you're interested.

/ Vintage Ford 3500 TLB: Bite Or Pass? #5  
4500 is what i would have offered.

sink the other 1500 into resealing some cyls, and some hoses and new leak off lines and a lil hand maintenance on the swing and steering.. and you will HAVE a 6k$ in value..e tc.