First tractor, no money, no time, thoughts?

/ First tractor, no money, no time, thoughts? #1  

suprnova

Tractor
Ford 800
So I ran through all sorts of thoughts, from buying dozers, buying forestry mulchers for a skid, buying a skid and a bush hog, etc, for clearing most of our recreational/homesite 40ac. I asked on here and decided to look into renting. After getting weekly rental prices of $1,400-$2,000 around the Dallas area for a tractor/skid and mower, I figured I might as well pick up a craigslist special old model Ford/MF tractors with a mower for **** near the same price. I just have no way to figure out if what I'm buying is actually a smart buy. I'm mechanically inclined, just have no experience with tractors. What would y'all look for if you were buying an el cheapo, probably replaced in 10 or so years first tractor?

/ First tractor, no money, no time, thoughts? #2  
I WOULD LOOK FOR ONE WITH A FULLY HYD LOADER AND 3 POINT.IF YOU ARE MECHANICALLY INCLINED YOU WONT HAVE A PROBLEM SEEING IF THE TRACTOR WAS MAINTAINED.GOOD TIRES THAT CAN BE A BIG EXPENSE.

/ First tractor, no money, no time, thoughts? #3  
For a an old workhorse with a rotary cutter I would highly recommend a MF135 diesel. For their size they are a tank of a tractor. Excellent tractor on steep hills. When you start getting into tractors with loaders, for sure quick attach loaders, that's a very expensive move up.

/ First tractor, no money, no time, thoughts? #4  
Welcome.....are you from Ca. or Dallas??