Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor

Default Re: Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130?

That is an elglish or german row crop tractor made before the modernization, most had headlights on the front. So the transmission is always weak and clumsy. It probably has a row crop rear tire like a 13.6 when a 16 or 18 wide is better for loader work. some of them didnt have live pto depending on how it was ordered. The hyrdaulic pump might be a tad slow.
    On the plus side
    its a deere find a hood and decals for a 2030 and swap most would never know the difference and it is night and day.
    Sell it and buy something more suitable

Tractor
    None - looking

Transmission is std, collar shift. 8 forward, 4 reverse, 16 and 8 if you count the hi/low. It has 15.5-38 rear tires. I am going to get it, fix it, and use it for a while. If it isn't suitable, will sell it and get my money back out of it. No harm, no foul. 75hp tractor for 2000 in repairs is a bargain, really. Will easily do my food plots, roads with boxblade and bush hog. By the way, it comes with a working bush hog with slip clutch, which is a bonus.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Do you know the hours? Is the engine in good condition? If you'll have to split the tractor to fix the tranny, it would make sense to do a new clutch for it at the same time. If it's otherwise a healthy machine, you'll have a good old workhorse that should last as long as you need it. It makes sense for many people to have two tractors: an older one like you've found and a smaller compact with all the modern conveniences. You've maybe changed it around a bit by getting the old workhorse first, but it sounds like a great find. Share some pictures as you get it back to good health, if you can.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 855

According to Tractor house*com it appears to be about an average of $7000. I would consider fixing it and trading it on a tractor loader combo.....

Good luck....

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Al,
    That is a good find if you can fix it up as some have suggested. If it can be fixed up for a reasonable amount you can do alot more semi field work with it than the smaller tractors. With 100+ acres I think I would keep it to handle the larger jobs rather than trading as many have suggested. If you can fix it up and have a good working tractor for $5000 approximately that would be a great deal for you.

While you may still want to get a smaller tractor with fel for close work the little you would have invested in the larger tractor would save alot of strain on the newer and smaller tractor.

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Quote Originally Posted by ALFisher View Post
    Transmission is std, collar shift. 8 forward, 4 reverse, 16 and 8 if you count the hi/low. It has 15.5-38 rear tires. I am going to get it, fix it, and use it for a while. If it isn't suitable, will sell it and get my money back out of it. No harm, no foul. 75hp tractor for 2000 in repairs is a bargain, really. Will easily do my food plots, roads with boxblade and bush hog. By the way, it comes with a working bush hog with slip clutch, which is a bonus.
    HI-LO does not give you 16 forward & 8 reverse speeds. HI is basicly the gear you are in, LO is very close to dropping down one gear. So if you are in 4th gear and HI-LO is in HI, that is 4th gear. Shift to LO and it it's almost the same as dropping to 3rd, shift back to HI and you are in 4th again.

There is a hydraulic clutch pack in the HI-LO unit in addition to the main dry clutch. Repair requires splitting the tractor. If the HI-LO is bad, I estimate $4000 to repair (by dealer)
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    None - looking

Thanks so much for the information. Tractor has about 2200 hours on it. Engine in good condition. It was running fine last year until transmission starting causing problems. I am not going through the dealer, just local mechanic who I know does a good job. He will have it on Monday and give me the diagnosis and estimated cost. Will update you then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12