Buying Advice Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130?

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #1  

ALFisher

Tractor
None - looking
Hello - first time post but long time reader of the site. Great info available here.

For about a month I have been looking for a tractor. Will be doing about 13 acres in food plots and bush hogging and some road/loader work. I had been looking in the 40-50 hp range with 4wd/mfwd. My budget is 15 with attachments.

However, I just learned that I can get a jd 2130 for FREE from a family member. It has power steering. Catch is it needs significant transmission work. Might be as much as 2,000. Also it is 2wd not 4. Pro is that it is a much bigger tractor than I could get otherwise. 75 hp engine with 65 claimed at pto. Would also need to get a fel. Even then I could save a lot of cash I think.

My main concern is that it is 2wd and I have read if u plan on doing any loader work u really need 4wd. If you have thoughts/advice I would appreciate it. Thx.

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #2  
A tractor of the size you are talking will do OK as a loader even in 2wd. The important element is rear weight. If you have loaded rear tires and/or balast weight, 2wd can do fine as a loader. Be sure when you shop for the FEL that you don't go so large that you overload the front end components. One concern to keep in mind would be the type of ground where most of your work will be done. If you will be working in real soft, wet and uneven ground then 4wd would be far better. Good luck with your decisions:)

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #3  
The thing is, Power steering is what makes a 2WD workable with a loader. Without PS you would have a hard time using one.

:welcome: to posting on TBN

Tom

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130?
The thing is, Power steering is what makes a 2WD workable with a loader. Without PS you would have a hard time using one.

:welcome: to posting on TBN

Tom

Thanks. It has power steering.

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #5  
Can you do the work yourself or will you have someone else fix it? If it was me and I'm pretty sure I could fix it I would get it and hold off on the loader for now. It'll do everything else you've listed just fine. You can always keep your eyes open or sell the Deere down the road (or keep it and get a second tractor).

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130?
I can do a good bit of work but probably not transmissions.

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #7  
Free is the right price. I would spend the 2k and buy a loader and use the heck out of it.

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #8  
I'd never be one to look a gift horse in the mouth... but, I'd be interested to know if it had all 4 legs! ;) What kind of transmission? Collar shift? They're a little rough for loader work and a synchro tranny would be a much better situation. Better yet, would be a reverser transmission (although, that's where you can spend some $$$ getting it fixed)!

I think the 146-148 loaders would be a good fit for that tractor; maybe the 158. Have noticed some good 158's here and there for around $3-3.5K. You might run across a good, 146 for around $2,500 or so.

With a good set of rear chains - you'd be surprised what a heavy, ol' beast like that 2130 will do!

I'd definitely consider the possibilities... and, that tractor would get you started. :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #9  
If you can pull the tranny yourself and just bring that to a shop you'll save some bucks. My neighbor has an old Yanmar that he got real cheap. It has been welded because it broke in half, when he got it the transmission had been torn down. Another neighbor is a auto mechanic is putting it back together for him. He has a manual but it's not that detailed but he said it wasn't that hard to figure out. Maybe you know of or have a friend who works on cars or trucks that could help you out.

/ Opportunity or pass on this deal for John deere 2130? #10  
It would help to know what trans it has and what the problem is.