Our first tractor purchase...where to start?

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #11  
Kubota L3800 should do all your work,4WD and FEL,your choice on the transmission.R1(Ag) tires.There a couple guys on here that have commercial operations with similar or smaller tractors.May want to look at the B2620/2920 also.
I started with a 31HP tractor,handled a roto-tiller and 2/12 bottom plows no problem.

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #12  
Our farm tractor needs right now: Tilling and working 2 acres of gently sloping field that's been in perennial grasses for over a decade, and was used to grow cucurbits before that. We'll be doing multiple tilling passes this season to kill off quack-grass, other weeds. We'll also need to till in a few cover crops (buckwheat and oats).

Our farm in the future: We plan on having roughly 5 acres in vegetable production, and will likely use the tractor for some work in the woods, various tasks around the farm (turning compost, etc

His current needs, 2 acres, future needs 5 acres, and an L series is too light? Seriously?

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #13  
His current needs, 2 acres, future needs 5 acres, and an L series is too light? Seriously?

Yes, it's to light for 5 acres of tilling or plowing or any ground engagement work. Sure, he could get it done, he could with a BX as well, but it's not well suited for his requirements. A grand L is perfect and that would be at the top of my list. If the price on a Grand L is to high, there are plenty of other tractors that are equally capable with the same features but cost considerably less, again, I'd say either Kioti or LS.

If he's looking at the standard L based on price, again, there are other tractors that compare favorably on capabilities and are full featured vs the fairly bare bones of the standard L and are in line with price as well. When I bought my first new tractor it came down to a standard L or Kioti CK30. The CK30 had a lot more features, better specs, heavier and slightly less expensive. Spending a few extra bucks got me up to my current DK tractor, and I can tell you the OP would be much better served by that size tractor for what he wants to do.

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #14  
One other thing, if running a tiller a lot is one of the desired tasks, I sure would think long and hard about getting a HST. I know he said he did not want an HST, but I would rethink that.

James K0UA

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #15  
One other thing, if running a tiller a lot is one of the desired tasks, I sure would think long and hard about getting a HST. I know he said he did not want an HST, but I would rethink that.

James K0UA

I was going to say the same thing that James did. My gear tractor with 12 forward gears does not have a low enough gear to till new ground well. My little HST tractor with its infinite speeds does the tilling.

MarkV

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #16  
The downside is HST sucks a little power, but it sounds like it's well worth it in this case. I'm also VERY envious of HST+ which is available on the Grand L and I'd say it's the one major advantage Kubota has over the competition.

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #17  
I'll toss my $0.02 in for buying used right now. Think of it like when you first got your driver's license... you bought a used car, I'm sure, for your first car. You got used to driving it, etc. and I'm sure you dinged it up here and there.

I say this because I just bought a 2007 JD 5103 as my first tractor. I'm glad I didn't pay a sticker price on it, because I would like to sell it for something bigger in the next coulpe of years. Once I got to using it around my property, I realized that I needed more than I had initially thought, so I'm glad I didn't take the "drive off the lot" depreciation on it.

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #18  
I'll toss my $0.02 in for buying used right now. Think of it like when you first got your driver's license... you bought a used car, I'm sure, for your first car. You got used to driving it, etc. and I'm sure you dinged it up here and there.

I say this because I just bought a 2007 JD 5103 as my first tractor. I'm glad I didn't pay a sticker price on it, because I would like to sell it for something bigger in the next coulpe of years. Once I got to using it around my property, I realized that I needed more than I had initially thought, so I'm glad I didn't take the "drive off the lot" depreciation on it.

:thumbsup: Extremely good advice. I bought 3 tractors in 3 years trying to get it right. A very common theme on TBN is people wanting to trade for more tractor. Always seems to be the same people who didn't listen when other members told them the SCUT they were looking at wouldn't be good to hay their 100 acres :laughing:

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #19  
I recently purchased a new 4wd L3800 HST for our 40 acre woodlot. Paid $25k for the machine with loaded tires (+600 lb), dealer installed WR Long 3rd function remote on the FEL for a grapple, QA FEL with 66" bucket, QA pallet forks, Landpride 3pt Quickhitch, Landpride rotary mower and a Landpride Box Blade. I've since added a 42" grapple and a landscape rake and will soon add a chipper. I am primarily using the machine to clean up years of neglected woods, light clearing and grading and 600' of driveway maintenance so I can't really speak much about the machine's ground engaging ability but I've had no problem dragging the 66" box blade completely full of wet clay. The Grand L's are very nice but I just couldn't justify the extra expense for my needs and the 3800 has performed well at everything I have ask of it. If I was using the machine for commercial purposes where there was an actual return on the investment, the math may have been different but for hobby farming, I think I get much "work" out of the extra attachments I was able to purchase than I would have out of a grand L with no grapple and the few other attachments I would not have been able to purchase.

/ Our first tractor purchase...where to start? #20  

James K0UA

But I would disagree. My tractor is a shuttle and I have absolutly no problem running a tiller, non what so ever. It all depends what you are used to and really what you want!