Tractor Sizing New and need advice

/ New and need advice #1  

dginter

Tractor
05' Farmtrac 555 DTC
I just purchased 50 acres and am looking to buy a used tractor. Wanting it for bush hogging, misc. chores (maybe loader type), future mowing and baling... The land is rolling with a few good slopes (between northern ky and Lexington area)... i was thinking 30-50 HP, maybe 4WD. I am new to tractors (very limited experience) and wondering if y'all might have any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated..

/ New and need advice #2  
I'm familiar with that area, and I can only say that I'd definitely want 4WD if I lived there. I'm far from a hay expert, but I think baling is going to drive the amount of PTO power you'll need, and how much loader lift you're going to want.

As far as mowing and brush hogging, anything reasonable in the 30-50hp range should be enough to run a mower and hog big enough that it won't take you forever to finish. Make sure that whatever you buy has either a live, or independent, PTO....that lets you stop, the tractor without stopping the PTO/mower. If you're going to do a lot of loader work, an HST transmission will make life much more pleasant.

/ New and need advice #3  
As GManBart says. And if I was going to get into hay, I would opt for something with more HP. Or down the road you could get more HP on a second tractor.

/ New and need advice
I was just checking out that LS R4047, that seems to be a nice tractor... what do ya think of yours?

/ New and need advice #5  
For baling hay, I would prefer at least 50 PTO hp and enough weight in the tractor to hold the baler on a hill. 4wd would help. We use a Kubota M5700 to run the baler.

/ New and need advice #6  
I was just checking out that LS R4047, that seems to be a nice tractor... what do ya think of yours?

I absolutely love it! I've only got 67 hours on it (got it in Jan), but it's been perfect. I did the 50hr service, and found nothing wrong. I snugged up a few bolts, but that's why you do a 50hr inspection.

There are only 2/3 things I would tweak, if I was head of LS. One, I'd give the loader a little bit higher max lift (found this loading tall 30yd rolloff dumpsters)...not a big deal, but a little more would be nice. Two, I'd make the brake pedals on the left side narrower, for more foot clearance while getting on/off the tractor, and I'd make the seat go back a little farther for really tall guys (doesn't apply to me). That's really it.....to say I'm pleased would be an extreme understatement. I've posted quite a few pictures in the LS forum if you do a search. R,