Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Re: Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please

Ag tires if you arent going to be on a lawn ... if you like a wider stance do the rims on that tractor offer different offsets to make it wider?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra

Not hilly -- flat.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

If you are not mowing lawn the AG's ride better. If you have a lot of saplings that you are going to mow that will leave small sharp stumps sticking up the R4's are a lot tougher for that kind of stuff.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420

I am very pleased with how my Ag tires performed in the snow this past winter (we got about 100 inches!), I've also moved about 60 tons of gravel and firewood with the loader this past year. Just my personal opinion, I think R4s in the front mostly benefit loader operators who haven't ballasted their tractor properly.
    Last edited by Katahdin; 04-19-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin View Post
    I am very pleased with how my Ag tires performed in the snow this past winter (we got about 100 inches!), I've also moved about 60 tons of gravel and firewood with the loader this past year. Just my personal opinion, I think R4s in the front mostly benefit loader operators who haven't ballasted their tractor properly.

As most of the posters alluded to there are pro's and con's to each type of tire design. R4 tires are a better choice for loader work in almost all cases, that is not to say you can't get decent service with R1 tires and your fel. In wet or muddy conditions the R1 tires are a good choice as they flex and self clean better.

I don't think there is a clear choice of one being better than the other as it depends on the use and conditions. The OP mowing under average conditions could go either way and be well served. Before I chose which tires and wheels to pick I would make sure that the tires and rims were not filled with calcium chloride at any time. Other than that either tire will work well for his use.

Elite Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

On paved roads Industrial Tires wear better than Ag Tires.
    I have been surprised how often I drive 1/2 - 3/4 mile on paved road to the community burn pile.....then back.
    More road miles than I forecast at time of tractor purchase.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Puncture resistance, R4 better (brush stobs left from your rotary cutter?)
    Traction in mud and snow without chains R1 better
    plowing in soft dirt R1 better.
    traction on ice.. both suck.
    Load handling strength for FEL use.. R4 better. stronger sidewalls
    Ground pressure R4 less R1 more
    Length of life, R4 maybe a little better, maybe
    This is the way I see it,, others may see things differently

James K0UA
    Thats about the way I see it.

OP never mentioned loader work or dirt work. Thats where ags shine for traction. If this tractor dont have a loader and/or just used for light work and cutting, R4's would probably be my choice. But any dirt work at all and I want ags.

On a side note...koua, you mention r4's having less ground pressure........It seems there was a pretty good debate over that about ground pressure = tire PSI or something???

Sorry to de-rail.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

[QUOTE=LD1;3278992]Thats about the way I see it.

OP never mentioned loader work or dirt work. Thats where ags shine for traction. If this tractor dont have a loader and/or just used for light work and cutting, R4's would probably be my choice. But any dirt work at all and I want ags.

On a side note...koua, you mention r4's having less ground pressure........It seems there was a pretty good debate over that about ground pressure = tire PSI or something??? QUOTE]

Ground pressure has nothing to do with tire pressure, it is strictly weight of machine divided by the area of ground contact. An R4 would have less ground pressure than an R1 because it is wider and has more tread contact with the ground. A lower tire pressure in a given tire size would increase the contact area of the tire and lower the ground pressure a bit but again it not the tire pressure that determines the ground pressure, just the area in contact. Dozers and other tracked vehicles have the least ground pressure per pound of weight. Don't ever let some dirt contractor say that he will compact your soil or rock with his 50,000 lb. dozer as it just wont happen. Your 3000# compact tractor with R1 will compact it more than that 50K dozer with his 18" wide tracks x 15 feet long.
    As for the OP, mowing pasture with "some wet area" either tire will likely work for him. I have AGs on my big tractor and R4 on my B26TLB. The R4 are pretty much worthless in mud as they load up quickly and just spin but on dry dirt, they pull fairly well. As long as you stay out of the mud with them they will work.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post

Ground pressure has nothing to do with tire pressure, it is strictly weight of machine divided by the area of ground contact. An R4 would have less ground pressure than an R1 because it is wider and has more tread contact with the ground. .
    I know that And you know that

I was just referencing an old thread where there was a heated debate about this thing. Some people think that ground pressure is equal to the pressure inside the tire.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    I know that And you know that

I was just referencing an old thread where there was a heated debate about this thing. Some people think that ground pressure is equal to the pressure inside the tire.
    I meant that since R4 is wider and has more contact with the ground the ground pressure for a given weight of tractor would be less per square inch than an R1.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast