Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #11  
Ag tires if you arent going to be on a lawn ... if you like a wider stance do the rims on that tractor offer different offsets to make it wider?

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please
Not hilly -- flat.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #13  
If you are not mowing lawn the AG's ride better. If you have a lot of saplings that you are going to mow that will leave small sharp stumps sticking up the R4's are a lot tougher for that kind of stuff.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #14  
I am very pleased with how my Ag tires performed in the snow this past winter (we got about 100 inches!), I've also moved about 60 tons of gravel and firewood with the loader this past year. Just my personal opinion, I think R4s in the front mostly benefit loader operators who haven't ballasted their tractor properly.

Last edited:
   / Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #15  
I am very pleased with how my Ag tires performed in the snow this past winter (we got about 100 inches!), I've also moved about 60 tons of gravel and firewood with the loader this past year. Just my personal opinion, I think R4s in the front mostly benefit loader operators who haven't ballasted their tractor properly.

As most of the posters alluded to there are pro's and con's to each type of tire design. R4 tires are a better choice for loader work in almost all cases, that is not to say you can't get decent service with R1 tires and your fel. In wet or muddy conditions the R1 tires are a good choice as they flex and self clean better.

I don't think there is a clear choice of one being better than the other as it depends on the use and conditions. The OP mowing under average conditions could go either way and be well served. Before I chose which tires and wheels to pick I would make sure that the tires and rims were not filled with calcium chloride at any time. Other than that either tire will work well for his use.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #16  
On paved roads Industrial Tires wear better than Ag Tires.
I have been surprised how often I drive 1/2 - 3/4 mile on paved road to the community burn pile.....then back.
More road miles than I forecast at time of tractor purchase.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #17  
Puncture resistance, R4 better (brush stobs left from your rotary cutter?)
Traction in mud and snow without chains R1 better
plowing in soft dirt R1 better.
traction on ice.. both suck.
Load handling strength for FEL use.. R4 better. stronger sidewalls
Ground pressure R4 less R1 more
Length of life, R4 maybe a little better, maybe
This is the way I see it,, others may see things differently:)

James K0UA

Thats about the way I see it.

OP never mentioned loader work or dirt work. Thats where ags shine for traction. If this tractor dont have a loader and/or just used for light work and cutting, R4's would probably be my choice. But any dirt work at all and I want ags.

On a side note...koua, you mention r4's having less ground pressure........It seems there was a pretty good debate over that about ground pressure = tire PSI or something??? :confused2:

Sorry to de-rail.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #18  
Thats about the way I see it.

OP never mentioned loader work or dirt work. Thats where ags shine for traction. If this tractor dont have a loader and/or just used for light work and cutting, R4's would probably be my choice. But any dirt work at all and I want ags.

On a side note...koua, you mention r4's having less ground pressure........It seems there was a pretty good debate over that about ground pressure = tire PSI or something??? :confused2: QUOTE]

Ground pressure has nothing to do with tire pressure, it is strictly weight of machine divided by the area of ground contact. An R4 would have less ground pressure than an R1 because it is wider and has more tread contact with the ground. A lower tire pressure in a given tire size would increase the contact area of the tire and lower the ground pressure a bit but again it not the tire pressure that determines the ground pressure, just the area in contact. Dozers and other tracked vehicles have the least ground pressure per pound of weight. Don't ever let some dirt contractor say that he will compact your soil or rock with his 50,000 lb. dozer as it just wont happen. Your 3000# compact tractor with R1 will compact it more than that 50K dozer with his 18" wide tracks x 15 feet long.
As for the OP, mowing pasture with "some wet area" either tire will likely work for him. I have AGs on my big tractor and R4 on my B26TLB. The R4 are pretty much worthless in mud as they load up quickly and just spin but on dry dirt, they pull fairly well. As long as you stay out of the mud with them they will work.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #19  
Ground pressure has nothing to do with tire pressure, it is strictly weight of machine divided by the area of ground contact. An R4 would have less ground pressure than an R1 because it is wider and has more tread contact with the ground. .

I know that:thumbsup: And you know that:thumbsup:

I was just referencing an old thread where there was a heated debate about this thing. Some people think that ground pressure is equal to the pressure inside the tire.:confused2:

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #20  
I know that:thumbsup: And you know that:thumbsup:

I was just referencing an old thread where there was a heated debate about this thing. Some people think that ground pressure is equal to the pressure inside the tire.:confused2:

I meant that since R4 is wider and has more contact with the ground the ground pressure for a given weight of tractor would be less per square inch than an R1.