Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #31  
Here a pic of r4 in the mud. You can tell how deep it got and it came out of it just fine, didn't stop my momentum though

ForumRunner_20130421_094312.png

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #32  
Think about turf tires as on golf course machinery. Usually quite wide so as to spread the machine weight over a larger area and reduce the pressure per square inch on the ground.

My excavation guy told me once that his Hitachi excavator exerts a track pressure of 7 pounds per square inch on the ground. Probably explains why I nearly buried my car driving on the tracks the excavator left while he was digging my well. The car weighs a lot less than the excavator, but has a contact patch many times smaller.

Sean
Wide is the only possible tool to get area when there is a limit on diameter. Small dia tires cannot have a long contact patch unless they are flat. Larger dia tires can, and this gives a better ability to roll over an obstacle. In either case, wide or narrow, greater or lesser dia, the machine weight is spread over an equal area governed by inflation pressure and carcass stiffness. The soft carcass turf with inherent non disturbing tread carrying light load and run at low inflation to increase area fits everything needed on a golf course. Even tho pressure per unit area on the ground may be identical, any added width will limit rutting as described previously.
larry

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #33  
I suppose it has to do with tire size but my LS P7010 with Ag tires doesn't squat at all with fully loaded bucket. On hard ground if feels like I have Cat tracks on it as I can feel each lug as it hits the ground but no tire squat is evident and I have reduced the air pressure a bit from max. But then again, my front tires are as large as many CUT rear tires and with a 3500 pound lift capacity, it will lift most CUTs off the ground.
Do you have 12.4x24 front? I have 11.2x24 on the 7520. I have no squat problem at max 28psi with full bucket but thats considerably less than the lift capacity. I go up to 35 psi if Im carrying really heavy stuff.
larry

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #34  
So why do farmers run duals to reduce soil compaction when they could mearly get by with lowering the psi

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #35  
So why do farmers run duals to reduce soil compaction when they could mearly get by with lowering the psi
There comes a limit due to tire squirm and sidewall buckling. A verry long patch is fine sitting still, but half flattened tires dont roll so well ... nor last. Duals let you half the inflation and still run with good tire stance.
larry

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #36  
I was wondering how bad is your tractor on your lawn with the R4's?