Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #1  

Pierrepont

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra
Dealer is offering my choice of R4 or Ag tires on a 3 year old Kioti ck35.

My use: 10 acres of brush hog use probably 3 times per year. A few "damp/wet" spots some times but mostly dry.

Our lawn cutting at the house is managed with a zero turn so the ck35 would rarely if ever be on the lawn.

I like the wider stance (look) of the R4 tires BUT I can get a better purchase price with the Ag tires.

What do you folks with experience recommend?

Thanks.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #2  
Puncture resistance, R4 better (brush stobs left from your rotary cutter?)
Traction in mud and snow without chains R1 better
plowing in soft dirt R1 better.
traction on ice.. both suck.
Load handling strength for FEL use.. R4 better. stronger sidewalls
Ground pressure R4 less R1 more
Length of life, R4 maybe a little better, maybe
This is the way I see it,, others may see things differently:)

James K0UA

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #3  
It really depends on the terrain you'll be using the tractor on. Mine is typical farm use, R4's wouldn't be a good choice for me. If you plan to do any garden work, the R1's smaller footprint is better. They are hel* on lawns. R4 has better load carrying capacity, better puncture resistance, and will be heavier if loaded for weight. Their trade-off is less traction under farm conditions. You may have more clearance for ice chains with R1's.

Sean

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #4  
Dealer is offering my choice of R4 or Ag tires on a 3 year old Kioti ck35.

My use: 10 acres of brush hog use probably 3 times per year. A few "damp/wet" spots some times but mostly dry.

Our lawn cutting at the house is managed with a zero turn so the ck35 would rarely if ever be on the lawn.

I like the wider stance (look) of the R4 tires BUT I can get a better purchase price with the Ag tires.

What do you folks with experience recommend?

Thanks.
R1s are 2pc rim and hub giving several choices for width. R4s offer 2 at most. R1s are a little taller and are run softer, giving better obstacle crossing ability.
larry

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #5  
Well Pierrepont i have a DK35 SE HST and I have both types of tires, Ag's and R4's. The Ags are better in snow than the R4's. For loader work and road service R4's are the way to go. You get a smooth ride where as Ag's ride rough on the road. Make sure you get them loaded. If you go with Ag's and decide you want R4's send me a PM. I have a set of R4's new with loaded rears that we can deal on. I'm about 40 miles south east of you. Let me know . . .John

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #6  
R4's. there are chains for real traction.:)

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #7  
Welcome from St.Lawrence co.If you are going to do any dirt work,plowing ect.The R1's will be better.I have run R1's in the snow with no problems.As stated R4's are more punture resistant,better for a lot of FEL work.When doing a lot of loader work I max out the pressure in the front tires.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #8  
All good advice. R4's sidewalls are stiffer than R1's and will give a rougher ride.

/ Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #9  
I think you need to decide on this one. Don't even know if you have a loader. Either tire will work with your Bush Hogging. You have to look at it and if you like the look of R4 go that route. Its hard to find a compact with R1s so I will post a pick of a Mahindra I checked out. I like the R1 on the left but the wide R4's on the right look nice and beefy as well.

Attachments

• P2151184.jpg
    P2151184.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 1,131
   / Ag Tires vs. R4 Tires - Help Make a Decision Please #10  
How hilly is where you intend to use the brush hog? Sounds to me the R-4s would serve you best.