Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #11  
Hey brochalm, ya gotta name? (Mine's Jay)

What kind of disability do you have? (forgive me if I missed it in earlier posts), just to ascertain how it might affect you operating a tractor. I realize it may not be a physical disability.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #12  
I feel you have nailed it. I agree with allyou have written.

I feel that there is a kind of awareness that comes after setting ones mind to a certain focus point. Kind of like when you get a new car, all of a sudden you notice other cars of the same year etc. Once I decided on the horse power at the PTO and then a budget, tractors are supposed to start popping out of no where right?

Ahem I wish. I will keep looking.

Can you recommend some of the older tractors to consider. are there any farm-alls that would work>

I am definitley holding off on the Backhoe
A lot of older tractors will work. As a matter of fact..........on the Portland Oregon Craiglist I posted, there is a Massey Ferguson 135 listed at a reasonable price also. It's on the Saturday listing, and shouldn't be too far from where you are located. But it doesn't have the front end loader..........and at the very least I think you need the FEL, even if you gotta go with a smaller tractor to fit your budget. That's why I posted the Kubota B20.

I tried to look for tractors in your area because shipping will cost you between 600 to 1500 dollars to your location.

Last edited:
   / Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #13  
   / Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,
After discussing things with my better half, We have decided to get a riding mower for the kids and a sturdy tractor for me, YEAH!! I jjust got off the Massey web site. I like that they are a older company. How do you like your tractor?

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #15  
brochalm, focus on the implements...they do the work, a tractor is just an engine and platform to mount implements on. congrats on y'all making decisions re mower/tractor. sounds good.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #16  
Clark County has John Deere and Kubota dealers. They often have used tractor trade-ins, sometimes other brands. Check with them once a week or so.

Bruce

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,
Thanks

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #18  
Most older tractors are non-synchromesh. So, one normally selects the desired gear while stopped, and then takes off.

My parents bought their first tractor when I was 13 or so... and I don't think I had any troubles with the tranny. We plowed, disked, and harrowed, our field in the first couple of years, and I know that I got quite a bit of tractor time.

Anyway, I believe that all kids should learn to drive a stick-shift car, especially those in rural communities. The tractor stick shift isn't too different, except for the non-synchro, so no shifting on the fly.

I probably did get a pickup stuck in the ditch while learning to shift, but it wasn't the end of the world.

The hydro is nice for a lawn tractor, but I wouldn't be too worried about it for a farm tractor.

Of course, our first tractors never had ROPS, but after watching some of the YouTube videos about tractor rollovers, I'd choose a ROPS tractor, especially with kids involved.

Four wheel drive is nice. If your land is flat, you probably have mud somewhere. And, if it is on a hillside, the extra traction can be handy.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #19  
brochalm,
I think if you are shopping for a used tractor then consider all or most brands. Post what tractors you find used that meet your requirements and we can help you mull it over. You might want to consider a new tractor with 0% financing too, for instance a Deere 3032E or 3038E are economy tractors that might work for you. I am pretty sure most of the brands are offering good financing right now and having a new warranty is a definate plus for you.

Good Idea to consider