Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #21  
PLEASE use the search function to find SO MANY threads on exactly this topic - all the side issues, trans type, tire type, brand name loyalty, re-badged generic tractors, Chinese and Korean.

It is MUCH faster for you to find existing threads than for the same people to re-type the same replies.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #22  
After discussing things with my better half, We have decided to get a riding mower for the kids and a sturdy tractor for me, YEAH!! I jjust got off the Massey web site. I like that they are a older company. How do you like your tractor?

You've got some good advisors here, can't add much to what they're telling you. Only this: we all have our favorite brands, but, really, the main brands all make superb equipment. And you have bigger fish to fry than the color of the paint. Here's why: there are big differences in the details between one model and another that make them easier or more difficult to operate. And it's a very individual thing... what's good for me might be a royal pain for you, so only you can make the choice. Little details, like which foot do you use for the brakes, etc.; how easy to get on and off; how do the loader controls work; where do you put fuel in it; how easy to attach/remove implements; probably 100 other things I can't think of off the top of my head. And if you've got some physical limitations, as I do, getting a unit that suits you is even more important. So you'll want to spend some time actually operating each machine, before any emotional bonding occurs between you and a particular tractor (Yes, that really does happen :D).

In my mind, this all adds up to one reason to consider new equipment, because it eliminates having to find something used in decent condition. It would be my typical fate to find two used tractors: one that fits me like a glove but is beat to heck and gone and another that is like new but makes everything more difficult for me.

Whatever direction you go, all the best of luck finding a good one.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #23  
PLEASE use the search function to find SO MANY threads on exactly this topic - all the side issues, trans type, tire type, brand name loyalty, re-badged generic tractors, Chinese and Korean.

It is MUCH faster for you to find existing threads than for the same people to re-type the same replies.

And use:

whatever i'm searching for site:tractorbynet.com in (my case) the google search bar. Such as:

chinese tractors site:tractorbynet.com

cheap tractors site:tractorbynet.com

my foot hurts site:tractorbynet.com :laughing: You get the idea

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #24  
After discussing things with my better half, We have decided to get a riding mower for the kids and a sturdy tractor for me, YEAH!! I jjust got off the Massey web site. I like that they are a older company. How do you like your tractor?

Keep in mind that a lawn tractor that looks smaller than a farm tractor still isn't a toy.

Your kid is 13 now. I have no doubt that he will be driving the larger tractor by the time he is 14. There will be some task that just makes sense for him to be driving the tractor. Plowing for hours. Pulling a hay trailer, running back to the house to get something.

Do you have a pickup with a stick shift? Can your kids drive it? I'm sure that by the time I was 10 or 12, my parents would put me in the pickup in the middle of a hay field in granny gear, and I would drive while they loaded. I.E. the clutch wasn't a problem, although I didn't shift much until I was probably 14 or so.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #25  
Get "pre approved" at a lender so when you find a deal you can run by there quickly and pick up the cash for it and dont have to wait 24 hrs for the loan process to go thru and miss out on the deal.

The OP posted a Bible Verse from Proverbs. I will give him another Bible Verse from Proverbs 22.7 Borrower is Slave to the Lender.Don't borrow money for A tractor. Pay with cash.You have said you can't afford 10K. What is your budget for a tractor ??. I bought my Yanmar without loader for a little over 7 K .That's 4wd with power steering.That was also 8-9 yrs ago

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,
I agree about owing, HOW do you like your yanmar? I am worried it will be to light a tractor. But I am prone to desiring to big of equipment. Are parts available? how do they hold up? Any key items to look for repair wise on some of the older units? I really dont want a new one as the cost is so high.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #27  
I think somewhere around 25-30 HP (PTO) is good for general yard work. Tilling, brush hog, moving stuff with the front end loader, etc.

If you decide to do haying, then balers and disc mowers eat up a bit more HP (probably around the 50 HP (PTO) range.

I think the Diesel engines take a lot of abuse, but they are a little different than your gasoline car that you've probably been tinkering on.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #28  
I agree about owing, HOW do you like your yanmar? I am worried it will be to light a tractor. But I am prone to desiring to big of equipment. Are parts available? how do they hold up? Any key items to look for repair wise on some of the older units? I really dont want a new one as the cost is so high.

I like this Yanmar. With the rear tires loaded .I have had no problems picking up any thing the loader will handle.My 3110D has power shift. None of the older Yanmars don't have 2 stage clutch so, If that's an issue you don't need an older yanmar.. Most of the newer cuts are going to be light with the exception of a few.You have to know where to purchase a Yanmar. You don't want one that was put together in Vietnam.I haven't needed any major parts. Only a seal here and there. Parts have been no problem as, I have a large importer of Yanmar tractors close to me Home - Fredricks Equipment Fredricks doesn't deal in Vietnam Yanamr tractors

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #29  
I think you were talking to me(but not real sure). I love my Massey, It's a great little tractor for my 2 acres of ground. I can Mow, Till, Plow snow, Blow snow, Cultivate, dig out bushes and small stumps, haul and level gravel/dirt etc., I can even hang a Hog or Deer from the bucket for butchering.

What I can't do......and have attempted, is lifting the backend of my Dodge Dakota off the ground:laughing:

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,
Yep, That was me. I have been sitting on the fence regarding small tractors. I desire to build a couple of homes and get my small farm (9 acres) up to date.

My biggest worry is having to small of a tractor for doing things.

Blessings

Larry