Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #31  
You might want to look at the Kubota "B" series. Sounds like the range of tractor you are looking for. I take care of twenty acres with a "B". Deere's are good also. I just don't know much about Deere's.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #32  
Yep, That was me. I have been sitting on the fence regarding small tractors. I desire to build a couple of homes and get my small farm (9 acres) up to date.

My biggest worry is having to small of a tractor for doing things.

Blessings

Larry
I wouldn't recommend my tractor for 9 acres, or building homesites, although it will do the work(given enough time), those tasks are just too much for a subcompact tractor. A larger tractor should be used for your purposes.

Isn't inexpensive either, I've got about 18,500 invested into the stuff you see listed in my signature line.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,
After welding the clutch on the riding mower instead of replacing it , I realized your absolutely right. By having a riding mower for the kids to use would free up the types of tractor I can get into. For me a loader and three point seems the way to go.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #34  
I bought my JD 3032e with 4K down and $200/month for 72 months 0% financing
it has 2 extra remotes out back fel and a few other small things I had added to it
my wife and my daughter (when I bought it was 13) can get the everyday stuff done (because it's HST) before I get home so when I get home I can do some of the other heavy work I do with it (dig drainage ditches, postpound, bushhog, clear trees and brush)
now I wished I worked a 8-5 job but my normal work week is 55-70 hrs and when I do get home I need the tractor to work for me not me work on it
my wife was totally against me buying a new tractor but after looking for 8 months and finding nothing that fit my needs that didn't need worked on I just put my fingers in my ears and went and had it delivered
after 3 months of having it my wife now says I don't know how we lived without it and send in 3 payments this month (I don't because of the 0%) but you get the point
with 340 hrs on it and only doing maintenance it has ben a heck of a tractor
now last week I did pick up a Kubota L2250 with less than 3000 hrs with a fel and frame mounted backhoe for $3000
I do have some worn pins and bushing to replace but already have used it over the weekend digging out about 40 stumps
If you have some time and don't mine fixing things then keep looking and post what you find here
these guys are the best at letting you know if its a good deal or what some of the problems that model might have had and how it fix something

My 2 cents you need something with around 30HP so you can run a 5 ft slasher with a 60 fel and maybe a set of remotes
I personally am color blind just the JD fit what I needed at the time

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #35  
You mentioned that your kids may be using the tractor. I would like to point out that all tractors are inherently dangerous. There are numerous heavy moving parts and most tractors will flip in an instant if tilted too much. Make sure that the kids (and you, if you have not used a tractor before) are well trained. Find someone who has years of safe experience and beg them to give you a few lessons. Tractors are unforgiving and learning by frightening experiences is not the best way. I know, I bought one and thought "How hard can it be". After a couple "almost disasters" in the first week, I found one of my neighbors, a farmer with years of experience with many different kinds of equipment and asked for help. My property is very hilly and after telling him what I did and after the "**** Fool" lecture he spent several hours showing me what not to do and how to do what I wanted. his best advice was to think first of all that could go wrong and what I would do if it did and if I didn't know, then don't do it and come ask for advice. Over the last couple years I have learned more from him than any book could contain. Any fool can learn from experience - A smart person learns from someone else's experiences.

Last edited: