Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #1  

brochalm

Tractor
none
I have been searching for a few years now. and to be honest I cant focus on a brand. Here is our situation. I am a partially disabled vet, I have a small family and we just bought a 9 acre property that has been severely abused. Trash every where. mud and a 70 year old rotten barn. Ok you get it a money pit. But God has a way of putting you where he wants you to be. I am glad were here but find the chores are over whelming. So I need some help . I figured a versatile tractor would be the best for me. I would love to be able to have a small excavator and a utility tractor but cost being as they are funds tight etc.

So with this in mind. My son is 13 and would be helping me operate the tractor. Great kid, eventually my daughter will also, SO to me the option of a hydrostatic transmission is a viable option. My concern is am I limiting myself due to my kids involvement and as such should I consedier other types of transmissions?

The other idea is which brand to buy. I realize buying a name brand for access to parts is critical. I also realize John Deere in the early years were yanmar items repackaged.

Kubota along with John Deere seem to be the high priced items. Yet the old saying is you get what you paid for comes into mind.

I know I will need the following items:

Brush/ grass cutter
Drag blade
Loader
Tiller
Backhoe

I am fairly confident I need at least 30 Hp at the PTO to operate the cutters and such.
Desire 4WD

Not sure about the Ag tires versue Knobbys so to speak, The way I understand it the AG tires will tear up a lawn but give best traction and knobbys willl be fine on lawns, Ok I know Knobbys are not the tires name but I dont recall what it is refered to as.

So I am asking this question as I am sure thousands before me have asked.

With the size of property and basic needs what older tractor would fit the bill? I figured I cant afford the $10,000 and up Mens toys. I read that the older 8N and 9N tractors were not all too safe. Since I have myself and my children to think of. My kids have been on various equipment since they were very young, their confidence on running one is fine, it is the strenght to operate clutches etc that concern me.

I have looked at yanmars and jinmas, mahindra, John deers, kubotas ad any other I can see online.

I am hoping there are some owners out there that can respond with their thoughts and ideas for me to mull over.

So with all these name brands are John Deeres really the way to go? What about the older stuff, Massey, Farm alls ( which I for some reason like). Lean toward made in America, but realize things are imported and assembled here.

I am a proud American who belives in this country. So I ask my fellow brothers in this forum for advice,

Proverbs 12:15 ESV

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.

In a nut shell, Size, make, older age, where to buy.

I would love to buy from a owner and not a shop as I like helping others out and usually you get a fair deal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Blessings to all.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #2  
Welcome to TBN

While it's a little smaller than 30HP, this should be a decent tractor: Kubota tractor 4wd HST

The price you are wanting to pay is kinda low for what you are looking for, unless you go way back in years.

There is also a JD 855 on the Portland, Oregon Craigslist, but no loader.

The 'knobby' tires you are speaking of are 'turf' tires.......the 855 has them, the Kubota I linked to has R4's.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #3  
Lots of good 30HP tractors around that aren't green.Nothing against JD(I own a couple JD mowers) they are just more money.You limit is your buget and wanting a HST/4WD with FEL.You are right in not wanting a 8N/9N had a couple of those.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #4  
There are some great deals out there to be had on used 30-40 hp tractors which should suit your needs just fine. in the $10-15k range Get "pre approved" at a lender so when you find a deal you can run by there quickly and pick up the cash for it and dont have to wait 24 hrs for the loan process to go thru and miss out on the deal. Finding one with a FEL and a backhoe for the price you mentioned will be very hard.

I would IMO stick with a name brand tractor and look for a Hydrostatic drive transmission... they are simple easy to use. Most newer tractors are not like the old tractor with heavy clutches. The new ones are almost car like and a 12 yr old could operate them so dont rule out a gear drive.

Buying one with a loader will be a big plus for the job it sounds like you have ahead of you.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #5  
If you need 30hp, backhoe, and loader, I would eliminate lawn mowing as one of the tractor's jobs. Get the tractor/tires you need for tractor jobs, then find a good used mower. Buy a tractor new enough to have a roll bar (ROP).

Bruce

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #6  
It seems like a 30 hp tractor should be plenty big enough for 9 acres, after you make it into a good 9 acres.

It would help to know if you have hilly ground or is it reasonably pitched? Good drainage or on the wet side? The difference would help decide between 4wd and 2wd. Smaller 2wd tractors are going to be your least expensive choice since everyone thinks they need 4wd, but obviously a lot of tractoring got done before 4wd became common.

The other question is, what is it you have to do with the rotting barn? Tear it down, rebuild it? I wouldn't upsize a tractor to do one barn tear down, for example. And, If you are tearing it down, I would explore the options. Maybe your local VFD would burn it for practice, or someone might take it down to salvage the beams or siding.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #7  
Welcome...lots of folks have faced your problem, so lots of posts for years you can search thru and get ideas.

I'll, go this way
Kubota...they invented the CUT, I'm seeing numerous older ones on Craig's list, parts and dealers available
HST...because I think their SAFETY is unsurpassed...can creep , not jerky, IMHO best for kids
FEL with tooth bar, easier digging, place for chains when lifting, quick attach for easy implement change for kids
box blade and rippers...smooth/move dirt, dig up garden/stuff with rippers, weight needed to match FEL.
small trailer.flatbed for moving stuff/trash/carry tools
4wd sure adds traction, extremely desirable, I consider mandatory
ROPS is a MUST, particularly with young drivers
hold off on backhoe til mandatory.. I have one, only used couple of times, pricey ornament
whatever tires that are on the tractor will work til they rot off...not a deal breaker, I prefer R4's
post hole digger, you'll be putting up pens and sheds for horses, beware, horses are big money pit, really big, also time.

sometimes a larger older tractor is cheaper than a smaller one because people are just kinda scared of a big tractor...don't be, if it comes with implements you need and good condition, it can be your best deal.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #8  
I would check Tractorhouse.com for used equipment. You can sort by miles from you place etc and get a lot of equipment listing.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm, #9  
I would check Tractorhouse.com for used equipment. You can sort by miles from you place etc and get a lot of equipment listing.
I did that for the OP before I posted the link to Craigslist. The same Kubota is for sale here in Pa. with near the same hours, but with completely worn out tires for about 200 dollars less. And the Kubota has the ROPS, which was on my mind also, because of the children.

But money seems to be the problem here.

/ Nervous as a cat on a tin roof,. Need advice,type,size,tractors small horse farm,
I feel you have nailed it. I agree with allyou have written.

I feel that there is a kind of awareness that comes after setting ones mind to a certain focus point. Kind of like when you get a new car, all of a sudden you notice other cars of the same year etc. Once I decided on the horse power at the PTO and then a budget, tractors are supposed to start popping out of no where right?

Ahem I wish. I will keep looking.

Can you recommend some of the older tractors to consider. are there any farm-alls that would work>

I am definitley holding off on the Backhoe