What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor.

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #1  

hwew

Silver Member
Here goes.

I am getting older and decided to sell my Everride Warrior z-turm mower and start looking for a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. I had a Kubota BX2200 and that would be a good fit again if it was gas powered, air cooled. Some here are probably wondering why I want to get a gas powered Sub-Compact. My health is not like it used to be and my wife and daughter will most likely take over mowing the lawn. Another reason for gas powered is just in case I'm not around to repair it. At least they can bring it someplace to get it repaired cheaper than a diesel tractor. Yes we also have lots of butchers here that claim they are diesel mechanics.
So, I am trying to find a well built gas powered sub-compact that is built tough, somewhat easy to fix, reliable, hydro powered and has 3 point hitch.
Any ideas would be helpful. I miss the old 1993 Power King but it is probably not safe for my wife and daughter. I would preferr new but used would be good also.

Please don't be hesitant with reply's.

Thank you,

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #2  
I think your desire for a 3pt hitch forces you into the John Deere 700 series, Simplicity might have one, but a less common brand.

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #3  
My thought is that you should stick with diesel if maintenance is your concern. Gas engines require more attention and preventative maintenance than a diesel. Carburetors with today's fuel require fresh fuel to stay clean. Not to mention spark plugs and ignitions.

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #4  
I recommend DIESEL.

If all you ever do is fill it with fuel and add oil when it is low it will likely out live any gas powered tractor you can struggle to find.

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #5  
any real subcompact = diesel. Anything else is a garden tractor.

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #6  
You are prolly 6-8 years to late for a gasoline version. Even the little Kubota BX1870/1860 is diesel and it's 18hp. Bruce

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #7  
The ethanol in today's gas creates more problems than it solves (IMHO). If you purchase an older unit that makes it that much less desirable. I have made a practice to run the gas out of all my small engines before storing them for any length of time. Diesel is going to be a better choice for less maintenance.

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor.
I understand you guy's like diesel. I also love diesels, had a New Holland 1320, Kubota B7500 and a Kubota BX2200. I am not worried about ethanol in fuel. I never had a proble with the Everride Warrior's Kawasaki engine. It's been bullitproof. Not one problem. As long as you treat the fuel and run through a tank a month nothing will happen. When it is time for winterizing just run the tank empty and drain the fuel bowl and your done. Here is the way I see it. I can repair and service pretty much any Kubota 5 series and super mini diesel from the ground up. But with my health going I will not be able to do it soon. So, since we have more butchers than diesel mechanics here it is best to stay away from diesels for my wife and daughter. Another thing is if it is time for a re-power it is less than half the price to repower a v-twin than a gas engine. I don't see a re-power happen anyway's because the Kohlar, Kawasaki and Vangaurd engines are very reliable and less maintenance than a small diesel. And I don't expect them to put on over 2700 hours like the Everride Warrior Kawasaki engine has on. That is a lot of cutting.
So, I don't want to hear about staying with a diesel. It will not happen. One option to consider is find a BX2200 that has a blown engine and repower it with a V-twin.
But if you look at the BX2200 track record when I owned one it was not very pretty. It was the worst tractor of the bunch. It was falling apart. Look at some of my very first posts. It say's it all. But for just mowing the chassis should hold up fine. I want to hear about gas powered.

Thanks,

Last edited:
   / What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #9  
Like rct427 said. JD 700 series is probably about your only option for gas and 3PH.

/ What company makes a good sub-compact, gas powered, hydro, tractor. #10  
I would recommend the x700 series with limited 3ph and rear pto. The hdap tires are very good for lawns and get good traction, same size tires as the 1000 series subcuts. I have used my x749 for lawn installation and maintenance and it does a good job filling in around the larger tractors. I would consider the gas versions with 4x4 and see if this will work for your circumstances. IIRC, the x729 is the gas version of the x749 diesel. The new models are out now so you might want to give these a look.

Here's some pics of my x749 with 3ph, everything is IMatch equipped now.

Attachments

• Butch W  new lawn work 004.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 004.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 751
  • Butch W  new lawn work 002.jpg
    Butch W new lawn work 002.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 481
  • X749 and PSR 005.jpg
    X749 and PSR 005.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 586
  • X749 and PSR 003.jpg
    X749 and PSR 003.jpg