Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #1  

wilhelm

Tractor
None
Hi Guys,

First post after stumbling across these forums in search of answers. I am moving into an older farmhouse on 9 acres. Approximately 3 acres is field and the rest wooded. I am trying to find a decent USED tractor (with a mowing deck), that can handle 3 acres without breaking in a couple years as well as one that won't take me 6 hours to mow.

I plan on clearing cutting a couple more acres of the trees and getting goats and putting in ~1.5 acre garden.

From everything I have read online so far, the newer mowers (under 2k) are garbage and that I would be much better off going with a tractor from the 1980's or ealier. It would be nice if I could find one that would accept attachments (PTO) but if not, at least a tractor that can mow quickly and has a hitch to at least haul carts, as well as enough power to drag large sections of fallen trees around the property.

I have found one online that seemed like it would be good for what I need, but I have no idea if this is a good price or if it's even a good tractor.

""For Sale: 1978 Case 446 Lawn tractor,16 hp Onan $1850
48 inch mower deck,
52 inch snow plow,
36 inch snow blower..
Good condition.
Thanks for looking..""

Will this tractor be good for mowing 3 acres on a gentle slope? Are parts easy to find when it brakes? If that tractor isn't recommended, can someone give me an idea of what I really should be looking at? I'm really hoping to keep it under 2500, if possible.

Thanks so much everyone, this is a really great site you guys have here.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #2  
For me that is a bit long in the tooth for a mower but it may be good for you if it is in good shape, but repairs might turn it into a bad deal and parts may not be available. I would be a little scared of finding parts for that old Case. Before buying it, check out a dealer and see if parts for all the equipment and tractor is still available.
I would look for a older model Kubota in your price range with a belly mower or rear finishing mower and a FEL. Check out Tractorhouse.com for deals in your area.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #3  
I would say an early 20-30 hp real tractor with 4-5ft finish mower, perhaps a early kubuta (L185/225/245/285) or yanmar (dont know model #s), should be do able for $2,000. You wont get a loader or 4x4, maybe not power steering, but a working tractor. Hunt on craigslist as few dealers will carry anything in that price range.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost.
Thanks for your help, is that basically the best way to check to see if a mower is fixable? Call up a local dealer and ask if they still stock parts for it? Would you happen to have any thoughts on the Cub Low-Boy 154's? That is the other model that seems like it would fit me well, but they seem to be just as old as that Case.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #5  
What I did was look on craigslist and localforsale.com, when ever I found anything in my price range I would research it online before ever calling about it. That way you can atleast see if parts can be had, and gives you a better idea of what size you are looking at. If you take sometime looking, you can find more than you realize for under $2k, but you might have to buy just tractor this month, and hunt for finish mower seperate.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #6  
I would think if you are planning on a 1 1/2 garden then you wan't something that will help with those chores. That would be a huge garden for domestic uses, I would think a 1/4 acre garden will keep you real busy. There are lots of older taller 2wd tractors that could work well for you from Deere, Ford, Massey Ferguson and IH that come to mind.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #7  
A 3 acre yard is pretty big. A 1-1/4 acre garden is huge. You better have 6 WILLING kids to plant, weed and harvest it. You are well beyond garden tractor for either task. The Cub Low-Boy can handle the mowing with ease and last 3 lifetimes, finding implements for it to till a garden may be troublesome. If you find a package deal on the Cub with implements I would definetely would grab it.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #8  
Welcome to TBN, Wilhelm. It sounds like you're setting out a BIG challenge for yourself and the good folks here offering suggestions: You've got 9 acres, have to mow 3 and you also want to prepare, plant and tend a huge garden with your tractor. Plus, you'll be doing some logging work to clear more land. But you can't spend more than the price of a riding lawn mower at one of the box stores.

Some harsh reality: The good news is there's plenty of good equipment available that would be able to do all you'll ask of it. The bad news is your $2500 might make an OK down payment on what that kind of equipment typically costs. So you'll either need to stumble across the tractor deal of the century or you'll need to consider making some profound compromises in terms of more money or less capability.

I'm with some of the others here in thinking an older model tractor, either one of the 1950-1970 small utility tractors from IH, Deere, Ford, Massey Ferguson, etc., or one of the 1980's vintage Japanese compacts, particularly Kubota, Yanmar, etc. would give you something to do some mowing and garden work and still remain affordable. Parts and finding someone to work on it should not be a problem with any such choice. But it all boils down to the condition of the individual tractor whose tires you are kicking. With older equipment, the condition means more than the brand, so don't be too snobby about what to consider or you might walk past a gem.

Best of luck finding the right tractor. Keep looking until you find a good one!

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #9  
THERE IS A WEBSITE ON THE INTENET CALLED TRACTORHOUSE.COM, THEY LIST ALL SIZES AND PRICE RANGE. IT'S SORT OF A TRACTOR CASSIFIED PROGRAM. i HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL OFF THIS WEBSITE. I CAN TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE, YOU WANT A TRACTOR ( NOT A LAWN MOWER, OR GARDEN TRACTOR AS SOME ARE CALLED) FROM 20 TO 30 HP WITH A DIESEL ENGINE. THE SMALLEST TRACTOR YOU CAN BUY THE WILL HANDLE FULL SIZE "USED ATTACHEMENTS" IS 20 HP. ANY THING SMALLER THAN THAT, ALL OF THE ATTACHMENTS ARE SPECIAL MADE ($$$$) JUST FOR IT. EXPECT TO PAY AT A MINIMUM OF $3500 FOR A GOOD USED TRACTOR. i MADE THAT MISTAKE A LONG TIME AGO AND HAVE SINCE LEARNED FROM IT.

/ Looking to purchase a small tractor for 9 acres, I am completely lost. #10  
My family cut at least 3 acres for about 15 years with a New Holland LS45 riding mower (rebadged Toro Wheelhorse 168H). It has the 54" deck and worked flawlessly until my mom surprised my dad with a Country Clipper last fathers day. Of course I snatched up the LS45 before my siblings had a chance ;) I remember when we bought this thing. I was quite irritated that my dad sold the Ford 4000 with finish mower for this little riding mower. Turns out that it paid for itself with its exceptional performance. You can find these from $500-1500 on Craigslist depending on where you are. You get what you pay for with these Wheelhorses.