Buying Advice Not sure what to get?

/ Not sure what to get?
We visited the local cub cadet dealer and talked about the 2100 series (which he said is comparable). There were some good things about it but really not comparable to the John Deere and if we wanted to pull our trailer, we would have to modify it and that would void the warranty so scratch that one off the list. We also checked on the Simplicity. Wow! I was impressed but they don't have the turning radius that the Deere has and for the money, the Deere still seems to be the better buy. I don't think the salesman took me seriously either. Unfortunately, as a woman, that happens to me in these waters.

So far, the x534 seems to be where we are landing. I did hear a negative comment about potential problems with the all-wheel steering. If there's anyone who could shed some light on that I'd be grateful. The comment was made that eventually all four tires will toe out over time and cause us to need to replace parts (I can't remember the parts he said). Is this true? Is it a big deal or is it ordinary wear?

Thanks again for your help. I won't be at a computer again until very late tonight but please know I'll be checking in then for any updated info.

/ Not sure what to get? #12  
I'll be checking in then for any updated info.

When you negotiate with the dealer, see if he will include HDAP knobby tires on the rear. They will make a big difference in traction.

/ Not sure what to get? #13  
I personally have found the 4 wheel steer mowers to be more gadget than function ( although I have one I mow my yard with now). I would personally go ahead and step up to the x540. Only standard steer liquid cooled engine in the x500 lineup. Worth the money and as tight as they turn it would still do a great job of mowing around obstacles. I personally test drove the same mowers a few months ago and was getting ready to buy the x540 when someone called and asked if I would like a free mower they didn't need. So basically that was the end of a pretty new Deere for me(til I convince my wife the free mower isn't big enough)

/ Not sure what to get? #14  
The Bajan,

How close are you to Dryden, Michigan? There is am agressive(low prices) Kubota dealer there worth talking with.

Rosy Brothers, tel.810-796-3007

"rosybrosinc.com"

/ Not sure what to get?
I personally have found the 4 wheel steer mowers to be more gadget than function ( although I have one I mow my yard with now). I would personally go ahead and step up to the x540. Only standard steer liquid cooled engine in the x500 lineup. Worth the money and as tight as they turn it would still do a great job of mowing around obstacles. I personally test drove the same mowers a few months ago and was getting ready to buy the x540 when someone called and asked if I would like a free mower they didn't need. So basically that was the end of a pretty new Deere for me(til I convince my wife the free mower isn't big enough)

This is excellent advice. Thank you. I will test drive one before deciding.

The Bajan,

How close are you to Dryden, Michigan? There is am agressive(low prices) Kubota dealer there worth talking with.

Rosy Brothers, tel.810-796-3007

"rosybrosinc.com"

Not too far.... about 50 miles. Worth the trip for more info and a possible good deal.

Thank you all. I'll let you know how it goes. I really appreciate the advice and perspective you all have.

Have a good night,

The Bajan

When you negotiate with the dealer, see if he will include HDAP knobby tires on the rear. They will make a big difference in traction.

Again, excellent advice. My husband would love the chance to negotiate. I'm not real good at that. I don't have enough "mean it" in my bargaining skills.

/ Not sure what to get? #16  

when I was shopping for a new mower I found the x 729 with all wheel steer to turn much sharper than the 728 with two wheel steer. One pass around a tree with the x749 is all it takes for me.

/ Not sure what to get? #17  
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

There are a lot of deals on tractors right now that are offering a 0% finance charge. Why not buy something new and get what you want. I know you said your budget is around $8k, but putting a few thousand down on a new tractor would give you about 28 months of payments IF you have the $8k in cash funds. I too live in Mi and with the 1400' of road you need to plow, you might rethink buying the smaller mower type lawn mower/tractor. Just my opinion, but you might be further ahead in the long-run buying something larger and better equipped. Oh, and BTW....tell your hubby "thanks for his service." :thumbsup:

/ Not sure what to get? #18  
There are a lot of deals on tractors right now that are offering a 0% finance charge. Why not buy something new and get what you want. I know you said your budget is around $8k, but putting a few thousand down on a new tractor would give you about 28 months of payments IF you have the $8k in cash funds. I too live in Mi and with the 1400' of road you need to plow, you might rethink buying the smaller mower type lawn mower/tractor. Just my opinion, but you might be further ahead in the long-run buying something larger and better equipped. Oh, and BTW....tell your hubby "thanks for his service." :thumbsup:

I agree that a larger machine would be the wise and better choice. All too often I see and read about members having to trade up once they are more aware of their needs for minimum level of equipment. That trading up is costly for them and is lost money which is tough on peoples budget starting out.

The suggestion to take advantage of the 0% financing is sound imo. Getting the right equipment the first time would be far cheaper and easier to swallow.