Buying Advice Not sure what to get?

/ Not sure what to get? #1  

The Bajan

Tractor
None currently
Hi there.

We have about 4 1/2 acres that is about half wooded. There are lots of trees we need to mow around. For the most part, our land is flat but there are a few areas that are sloped. One small area is sloped fairly steep. We also have a 200 ft driveway and a 1200 ft private road that has to be snow plowed in the winter. We haul a lot of dead wood and brush and occasionally a yard of soil, stone, or other landscape material. Although we haven't done it, we have a space planned for a 100' x 80' garden (hopefully have it ready to go next spring). In addition to this, we have a rental property just next door that we sometimes need to maintain (about 2 acres).

Because of the number of trees we have to go around and pass through, we are only going with a mower deck below 50". Also, a tight turning radius is very important to us. Eventually, we will want to be able to add attachments to help with the small garden, lawn maintenance, and of course, a plow for the winter.

To all this I have to add that my husband is the one who normally takes care of everything with the tractor/plowing work. However, he is leaving in Sept for 9 months to the Persian Gulf. So, it's very important to me that I'm able to handle all the jobs myself. Including removing and attaching the mower deck and plow.

We've looked at a few different brands/models and I'm a bit overwhelmed. My husband doesn't care a lot about creature comforts like noise level or power steering. However, I'm very sensitive to loud noise and I like the idea of power steering because of the easier maneuverability around trees. I'm also concerned about the company standing behind the brand if there is an issue while my husband is away. Any suggestions?

Thanks much!

The Bajan

/ Not sure what to get? #2  
To all this I have to add that my husband is the one who normally takes care of everything with the tractor/plowing work.

:welcome: What equipment do you currently have? How much snow do you get? What is your budget? For $10K+ the John Deere X700 series would probably be a good option.

/ Not sure what to get?
We currently have a Sears Craftman II, 18hp, 6 speed manual trans that [I think] is from sometime in the 1980's. It has a 44" mower deck and a front plow that is 48". We also have snow chains for the tires. We traded a canoe for it several years ago. My husband is a magician at keeping things running and has always been great at taking care of maintenance. However, even he admits it's time to get a replacement. Our budget is somewhere in the $8000 range for a tractor and a plow. That's the only attachment that is crucial immediately.

/ Not sure what to get?
I forgot to say we live in Michigan around the thumb... snow varies from year to year but it can be significant.

/ Not sure what to get? #5  
We currently have a Sears Craftman II, 18hp, 6 speed manual trans that [I think] is from sometime in the 1980's. It has a 44" mower deck and a front plow that is 48". We also have snow chains for the tires. We traded a canoe for it several years ago. My husband is a magician at keeping things running and has always been great at taking care of maintenance. However, even he admits it's time to get a replacement. Our budget is somewhere in the $8000 range for a tractor and a plow. That's the only attachment that is crucial immediately.

You could get an John Deere X500 with 48" deck for $6K. Don't know how much a front blade would be but likely less than $2K. With 1400' of road to plow would a snow blower make more sense? I got an X500 last year and it's an awesome machine!

John Deere Lawn Tractors Select Series X500 JohnDeere.com

/ Not sure what to get?
Thanks for the link. We have looked at the x500 series and really like it. In particular, I like the power steering and turning radius of the x534. However, before we pull the trigger on this, I wanted to know if there is anything else comparable that we should be considering. We have thought about a snow blower and it would be a great option but the plow allows for more versatility overall. We haven't priced the snow blower but I can only imagine they would be much more pricey than a plow.

The only other brand we have actually test driven is the cub cadet. Again, the turning radius is excellent (better than the Deere) but the power steering wasn't very impressive. The price was much better and has my husband leaning that way but I'm concerned about the company backing the tractor if there is a problem. He doesn't worry about that because he just figures that if there is a problem he will be able to take care of it anyway. I know that's true but still, he can't fix it if he isn't here.

There are too many choices out there and because we are just going from ordinary mowing/yard work to intending to having a fair sized garden/mini-farm, I wanted to be sure we don't under-power ourselves with just a lawn tractor. At the same time, I really don't see where we need diesel, 3 pto, and all those bells and whistles either. To me, having power steering is a luxury. Finding a tractor that runs FAIRLY quietly is also a luxury. Ease of operation, ease of removing/attaching deck and plow, and great turning radius are must have items. It's a tough combination and since we are both fairly ignorant of tractors in general, I thought I'd reach out for help from you guys. Of course we know John Deere's reputation and Cub Cadet has a good rep also. But that's about all we really know.

Thanks again for the link. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Not sure what to get? #7  
If it has to be a "garden tractor", go with the Deere, based on reputation and overall quality. Not the ones you get at Home Depot, but the X series from a Deere dealer. Another good make to look at is Simplicity, although there may not be a dealer nearby. Plowing 1/4 mile of Michigan snow is going to be hard on any equipment. Your work requirements would really be better met by one of those diesel/3 point/pto machines if the budget allowed.

/ Not sure what to get? #8  
I agree with Grandad, get the real tractor, you will be glad you did. Keep your current mower for grass cutting or get a less expensive dedicated mower. Getting a garden tractor that would handle the snowplowing duties could be a daunting task, especially for some of those Michigan storms. You could always hire a snow plow service for next winter when your husband is away.

Many of us have gone through what you are and have found that a do-all machine is really tough to find. Good luck in your search!

/ Not sure what to get?
If it has to be a "garden tractor", go with the Deere, based on reputation and overall quality. Not the ones you get at Home Depot, but the X series from a Deere dealer. Another good make to look at is Simplicity, although there may not be a dealer nearby. Plowing 1/4 mile of Michigan snow is going to be hard on any equipment. Your work requirements would really be better met by one of those diesel/3 point/pto machines if the budget allowed.

Thank you... I do wish the budget allowed for the x734 but it doesn't. All the same, looking at the x534 I still think it would take care of our needs. Would you please give me your opinion on that? Thanks for the suggestion regarding Simplicity. I looked them up and there is a dealership just 3 miles from us so we will go in today and check them out.

/ Not sure what to get? #10  
One of the Deere folks will have better comments about the X534 and snow removal. I own Kubota equipment, which is also top notch, but I'm thinking the Deere product line would have more options in your price range. Best of luck with your shopping.