Tractor Sizing What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual)

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #1  

KubotaL3200 Brian

Tractor
Kubota
I am planning on buying a Kubota 4x4 3200 (32 HP) 4X4 for my GA hunitng property. The dealer sales rep recomends to me a "EH16 5 foot 5 inch Adjustable Disk Harrow". Will this 32HP 4X4 Kubota pull this harrow through that tuff GA clay? If, not - what size harrow would be better? Any particular brand?

Thanks.
Brian

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #2  
You may want to look at a Roto-Tiller instead.Disc are dependent on weight and the smaller tractors will have a problem with this.One pass with a tiller or three/four with a disc.Can't break new sod with a tiller ,you will need to plow first.

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual)
I was worried about going to a roto tiller because we have quite a bit of rock that we disk up each year. Will this damage the roto tiller blades?

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #5  
Nobody has more rocks than me....impossible!Leave the discharge flap wide open and make sure the slip clutch is working.I have picked up a few flat rocks just the right size to jam the tiller...but as long as the slip is working it is no problem.I have done approximately ten acres for nine years.I live in northern NY and have a stone quarry five miles north.You sure don't want a forward working tiller,reverse,spits them out the back.

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #6  
I have a New Holland 1720 with front wheel assist...
My tractor has a wheel base of 65" and weighs 3300# with loaded rears...
I have no trouble pulling a Howse med duty disc harrow...
I believe that it weighs in the neighborhood of 550# and is 5'-6" in width...
Your tractor will be a good match for that size harrow...

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #7  
Brian, in tight soil I would plow a couple days after a soaking rain has come and gone, then discing won't be a problem.

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #8  
Brian, you can break new ground with a disk harrow - it may take a couple or three passes but you will break it. Of course, if you have a plow then use it first. A pto rototiller is going to be expensive because you want it to be wider than the back wheels on the tractor. Same with the disk harrow - wider than the rear tires. I had a 28hp 4WD Ford 1700 that I pulled a 6' disk harrow with and it pulled easily. I would only consider purchasing a rototiller if you are prepping for a vegetable garden. If you will be making food plots then a disk harrow is more than adequate. Your Kubota dealer surely handles disk harrows - most of my implements are Land Pride, only because that's what the Kubota dealer handles here. Actually when I had my Ford and used the 6' disk harrow I would set my cast cement weight - 400lb - on top of it for added weight and the tractor pulled it just fine. If you start to bog down while disking - just raise up on the three point a little til you get thru the tough spot then lower it and go on about your disking.

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #9  
With such a light tractor I would recommend a forward rotation tiller such as a King Kutter 60". I would wait a day or two after a good rain and till it in two passes. I have had the little and light disk harrows and they are a waste of time imo. On occasion you may break a tine in hard ground with rocks but the tiines are about $10 and easily replaced with two bolts. Replacing cracked disc blades are a lot more trouble and the blades on a light disc are thin.

/ What size disk harrow For the Kubota L3200 4X4 (manual) #10  
For a vegetation cutting Disc Harrow you want 40 pounds or more of total Disc Harrow weight bearing on each disc. If you have 40 pounds bearing on each disc and adjust your Top Link in/out to concentrate weight weight where experimentation shows the Disc Harrow cuts best, you will cut through most grass type vegetation on the first pass.