Need advice on used tractor purchase

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #41  
It was probably suggested that he check out the Yanmar forum because he was asking about a Yanmar tractor. I would say if he had asked for info about any tractor that had a forum here, someone would have pointed him that way. It may be a biased opinion, but in the general forums you invariably get (among others) a bunch of naysayers that have never had any dealings with a grey tractor, repeat things that they have heard that may or may not be true; send a fella to the horses mouth.

If I (or anyone) said that some mechanical devices will not break down, they are gravely in error. If my post came across that way, I apologize. If you are refering to the "First Ya Gotta Need Parts", I believe you took that out of context - it was conversational tone with a dealer, not a scripture verse from the tractor bible. Sorry if it seemed the other way around (I still haven't figured out how to get tone and sarcasm to show up in a post). However, my experience has been very close to that mark; so far, I've needed filters and that's it.

It also seems like the parts that were in question (i.e. water pump) may not have been available new, but were replacable, rebuildable, etc. I would have thought this to be a positive.

Note that the "no parts" phenomonom (sp) is not unique for Yanmars or Greys. Call a JD dealer and look for some parts for a '64 2010 - they have some and don't have a lot-- but I found every part that I looked for by calling different dealers, junkyards, and when all else failed, having a part (a shaft) made in a local machine shop for $50. Again, owning a grey requires a bit more of the owner than a brand-spanking-new-slushbox-equipped-overgrown-lawn-mower-complete-with-cupholder-from-a-dealer, and I (and others) find that more than a bit satisfying. If that's not what someone looking for, I agree with you steer clear of the greys.

It is good for you to post a contrasting opinion to my very obviously biased post. Thanks.

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #42  
LOL, ok Dick You got me on that one ! I think maybe the new comer wanted to see both sides of the debate to make a more informed descision. I would agree many are brand biased once they purchase brand x, but that does include Yanmars. Heck, Ive got green paint but its pure Yanmar underneath. I really try not to be brand biased and I do think there are some great gray market guys out there, I even think they are a great value to some folks. Generally, I personally just dont think they are the best buy for the first time buyer due to warranty/parts issues. I say that speaking solely for myself. When I buy something new I have never used before I tend to abuse it alittle out of lack of knowledge or experience. We never did get the complete model # which would have been fun. Either way I do enjoy a good debate with good folks. Kindest Regards, Dave

/ Need advice on used tractor purchase #43  
Well said Tim, You should post that on the Yanmar forum for those considering buying a Yanmar. If I remember correctly, in another life, you were just down the road from my farm in Ga, makes me proud to be your neighbor. Everything you say is true, and I, for one, have made a list of all the rebuild places on the net for brakes, clutches, waterpumps, alternators, starters, etc. in case I should ever need them.