Used JD4200 vs look at new

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #1  

hornet

My wife and I just bought our dream - we have 4 acres of flat grass and pasture land ( with a great bank barn to store all sorts of toys)
My needs would be mostly mowing grass and pasture, but also some snow clearing and general work such as animal care (manure and feed/hay transport), dirt and mulch moving, tilling a garden, etc

I have been offered a 2000 John Deere 4200 with FEL and 72" MMM with 100 hrs for $14,400...is this a good deal to grab - or should I look new?

thanks.

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #2  
Congratulations on your new purchase! You'll love it, I'm sure, and if you ever want to get rid of your barn let me know /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

$14.4K isn't too bad for that tractor, but you're in the $$$ range of a new machine. If it really fits your needs then it might be a good choice.

The only thing that occurred to me was...why does someone want to get rid of what should be a darn good tractor with low hours? 100 hours in three years isn't much, so you'll want to make sure that it has been well maintained.

Most maintenance schedules call for a complete fluid change (oil, hydraulics) at 50 hours and then oil every 50 hours or so after that. However, if it isn't getting the hours on it you might have a situation where the hour schedule was followed but the oil (etc.) might have deteriorated due to age rather than use.

I'm not saying it isn't a good deal - it may be. But one reason I've always liked to buy new is because I can be darn sure that maintenance is done regularly and correctly. Plus I also do things like make sure I warm it up before each use rather than fire it up and start working it hard, which can also affect the life of the tractor. But I'm a picky kind of guy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #3  
i think u need to check out the price of a new JD equipped the same and see what the diff. is.if u decide to go with the used one, don't worry about it. just use your common sense. i bought my tractor used and buy my cars used(most of them) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #4  
I think the others are right. The first step is to price one new and consider that you might get 0% financeing for 3 years. I have seen posted several times that if the machine has low hours, like 100, that a normal deduction would be $3-5 per hour the first year and signifificantly more the second. This is largely due to warranty experation, not model year as tractors are not titled. When buying a used one like this make SURE you get a copy of the pay off letter from the seller if not buying from a REPUTABLE dealer. I emphasize reputable as when I was shopping tractors I went to several "dealers" that were little more than bobs tool shed. I suspect that is a very good/competitive price.

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new
Thanks for the advice...a follow-up question...given my needs throw me some advice on size - i was thinking 24-30hp like the NH's TC24D or 29D or Kubota's B2710/2910...am I on target?

Thanks again

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( am I on target? )</font>

I'd say your right on target. You might want to also include the Kubota B7800; same size as the B2910 without all the bells and whistles. Of course, I'd prefer the B2910, but for the cost difference you'd have to decide for yourself. And of course, continue to compare to the New Holland the John Deere models.

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #7  
I have a 4200 with just over 100 hours and think it's a fine machine. That having been said, it would be for sale in a heartbeat if I came across a great buy on something bigger. That could easily explain why the one you saw is for sale. I bought mine used with even fewer hours as the result of the death of the man who purchased it new. Not all low hour tractors for sale are problem units. Most of them are for sale for very, very legitimate reasons.

I think you got good advice about comparing this one to a new one. Certainly a bigger machine like you mentioned would be more versatile but the 4200 should do everything you'll need with four acres.

If you want to compare the asking price of that machine with other 4200's, you might want to take a look at www.machinerylink.com for 4200's for sale there.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #8  
hey Hornet,

You might want to check out the Korean offerings too while you are at it. Mahindra,Century/Branson,Kioti,Long all offer tractors that are up to snuff with the major brands. Agco also has CUTs in a choice of three colors all from Iseki.

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #9  
One thing to think about -- I believe the upped the HP on the "newer" version of the 4200 (the 4210) by 2-3 hp, purportedly because they found the 4200 to be a little short on horses for the size of the machine. Compare the 4200 to the newer 4210....

JEA

/ Used JD4200 vs look at new #10  
hornet, check out the front axle if a 4 wheel drive. If it has a hydraulic cylinder with a ram coming out both ends it has the first version 4 wheel drive made by Caroni and was notorious for digging up lawn while turning. There was no adjustment. There was eventually a recall but only if the tractor had been set up for turf. The new axle has a hydraulic cylinder with only <font color="red">one </font> ram going to the right wheel and then a tie rod connecting the left wheel from the right wheel.