Price Check JD 790

/ JD 790 #1  

GregfromAR

Tractor
none yet
This is my first post. I've been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to come out of the shadows. Right now I'm taking care of my mother's place (3acres, all mowed) but am looking to buy 5-15acres once my wife gets through nursing school in a couple of years. I'm looking for a tractor that will allow me to plant a decent sized garden (hobby sized), keep any roads we may have in good shape, mow any yard we have, and handle a backhoe attachment.

Now, having said all that, a friend is trying to sell his JD 790 (4x4, 30HP). It has a 410 loader, 5' brushhog, and a box blade that comes with it. It's a bit complicated b/c an ex-wife is involved on his end, but I'm thinking of buying it to help him out. It has 900-1000 hours and is in good shape, mechanically and cosmetically. Having done some research here and on other sites, I know that the 790 should be able to meet my demands. I know it's better to have more tractor than you need than to need more tractor than you have, but if a job comes up that requires something bigger I have family from which I can borrow bigger. Can anyone give me an idea of what a fair price is? I don't want to low-ball him but neither do I wish to pay new tractor price for a used unit.

Thanks
Greg

/ JD 790 #2  
I'm going back a bit and trying to remember, so maybe this info won't help you out much. I purchased a brand new 790 with 419 (I think) loader in 2004 for around $15k. I think it'll make you a great little tractor. Sorry I couldn't help out more.

/ JD 790 #3  
I bought my 2004 790 3 years ago w/300 loader & 5' Woods finish mower, R4 tires, 385 hours. Gave $11,500 for the package, off CL. Hope this helps! ~~ grnspot

/ JD 790 #4  
I sold my 2001 790 3 years ago for $15,500

250 hours. 70 loader and 7 backhoe. Good luck
To you. They are nice tractors. I decided I needed hydro and more lift capacity, that's why I sold it. Never had a problem with it.

/ JD 790
Thanks for all the replies. It gives me a good starting point.

/ JD 790 #6  
GregfromAR,

Go to "tractorhouse.com" and do a search for a 790 John Deere in your area of the country to get an idea of value.