Buying Advice Hello, new guy looking for advice..

/ Hello, new guy looking for advice.. #1  

DigitalCowboy

Tractor
Mahindra 3535
Hello, forum!

I own a 40 acre property in west-central WI. It's about half wooded and we rent out about 14 acres to a corn farmer. The remainder is the house, yard, garden, and a 1.5acre horse pasture.

I've lived here 5 years, did my snow removal with a 4 wheeler and tilled the garden with a walk behind tiller... the. 2 winters ago we got hit bad and my 4 wheeler barely got a clear path from the garage to the road.

The next summer I found a ferguson TO-30 with loader on Craigslist and decided to go for it. So now, I plow and disk my garden, use a 3pt snowblower to clear the driveway and last year we used the tractor to clear brush and small trees and drive in posts to make a horse pasture for my wife.

Well, it's a great tractor for the price I paid, always finding more uses. The problem is its old. I can deal with the lack of live PTO, with chains I get by(barely) with 2wd. But, it's old, it leaves a black spot on the ground anywhere it's parked. Leaks everything, water leaks into the gearbox, hydraulics don't work for crap on really cold days, breaks down when I need it, etc.

It really needs torn down and overhauled/restored but I don't have time for that for a while and I'd like a 2nd loader to help with parts of that project. I could use more traction and sometimes a little more lift capacity anyway.

Went to a mahindra dealer and tried out a 3616, they let me attempt to push around a remaining snowpile outback. I wasn't impressed. With weighted tires &chains my to-30 can do better and it has a wider bucket than that thing. Maybe with ballast and/or chains it would have done better? Dunno it just seemed too light, wanted to ride over stuff not pick it up.

I tried a 5035 as well... Much more like it but wow, that's a lot of tractor. More than I can imagine I'd need.

I was looking on their site and saw they have a 4025 sized inbetween. Maybe that would be a good one for me?

Dunno, I almost feel silly like I'm playing farmer here but I want something reliable to do these jobs with that's close to the size/power of my to-30 with a little more traction and live hydraulics.

Any thoughts on what I ought to get?

/ Hello, new guy looking for advice..
Picture of me and my current tractor last winter...

blowin.jpg

/ Hello, new guy looking for advice.. #3  
Those good old tractors do tend to be much heavier than todays compact tractors and that does make a difference. Some say that front wheel assist (4 wheel drive) adds about the equivalent of 10 hp over 2wd models. Liquid ballast in the rear tires (loaded tires) does help a great deal as well as chains. From what you describe it sounds like a 30 to 40 hp tractor should meet your needs. Is there a reason that you are only looking at Mahindra models? I would suggest you check out some of the other manufactures in your area to find the best fit.

Welcome to the forum. Pretty area you live in.

MarkV

I don't really have a brand preference. I do like mahindra's price though and this was the only dealer that had bothered to return my calls so far. They're also a massey dealer, I had been interested in the Massey 2600 series but the dealer says they're discontinued and he hasn't been able to find one.

/ Hello, new guy looking for advice.. #5  
Unresponsive dealers just amazes me....don't make me work too hard to give you money, I always say.

Are you sure you had the FWD engaged when you tried pushing the snow? I did that when I first tried one that I was comparing a few months back....then I realized the lever wasn't all the way engaged....huge difference!

What were they asking for the 3616?

Yeah no kidding, I deal with that nearly everywhere now. How are people in business if they make their customers do all the work to buy their products?

I had in 2wd for the first attempt and noted the wheel spin, backed off, found the lever, then tried again. This was a pile of slushy snowy ice... fairly hard stuff. didn't loose traction on the second try, what happened was the bucket sort of rode up and over the pile, shaving off a bit of the top. I have no doubt it would have driven right up and over too. I tried a couple of times and I just shaved some off each time. I think the issue at hand was most likely weight and downforce. I guess I should have tried dropping the loader until the front end came off the ground like I do my TO-30 then push but that sorta defeats the 4wd right?

Then I tried the 5035 and it just took a big healthy scoop, no fuss no struggle.

I also will mention that my wife came along and both of us looked at the 3616 and both immediately felt it looked like it was too small.

Didn't get a price on the 3616, the demo was the cab model and I want the open station. I was told a range of 1600-1800 with the loader though. They had the 5035 priced at about 23,000. I'm gonna have to check on that 4025... I like what I read, just wish they had one on the lot.

/ Hello, new guy looking for advice.. #7  
Welcome from Ohio. Take a Kioti DK 40 for a test ride.

/ Hello, new guy looking for advice.. #8  
Kubota L3800 should fit your needs pretty well. Quality is great and resale value is unbeatable.