Tractor
    Mahindra 3535

Default Hello, new guy looking for advice..

Hello, forum!

I own a 40 acre property in west-central WI. It's about half wooded and we rent out about 14 acres to a corn farmer. The remainder is the house, yard, garden, and a 1.5acre horse pasture.

I've lived here 5 years, did my snow removal with a 4 wheeler and tilled the garden with a walk behind tiller... the. 2 winters ago we got hit bad and my 4 wheeler barely got a clear path from the garage to the road.

The next summer I found a ferguson TO-30 with loader on Craigslist and decided to go for it. So now, I plow and disk my garden, use a 3pt snowblower to clear the driveway and last year we used the tractor to clear brush and small trees and drive in posts to make a horse pasture for my wife.

Well, it's a great tractor for the price I paid, always finding more uses. The problem is its old. I can deal with the lack of live PTO, with chains I get by(barely) with 2wd. But, it's old, it leaves a black spot on the ground anywhere it's parked. Leaks everything, water leaks into the gearbox, hydraulics don't work for crap on really cold days, breaks down when I need it, etc.

It really needs torn down and overhauled/restored but I don't have time for that for a while and I'd like a 2nd loader to help with parts of that project. I could use more traction and sometimes a little more lift capacity anyway.

Went to a mahindra dealer and tried out a 3616, they let me attempt to push around a remaining snowpile outback. I wasn't impressed. With weighted tires &chains my to-30 can do better and it has a wider bucket than that thing. Maybe with ballast and/or chains it would have done better? Dunno it just seemed too light, wanted to ride over stuff not pick it up.

I tried a 5035 as well... Much more like it but wow, that's a lot of tractor. More than I can imagine I'd need.

I was looking on their site and saw they have a 4025 sized inbetween. Maybe that would be a good one for me?

Dunno, I almost feel silly like I'm playing farmer here but I want something reliable to do these jobs with that's close to the size/power of my to-30 with a little more traction and live hydraulics.

Any thoughts on what I ought to get?

Tractor
    Mahindra 3535

Default Re: Hello, new guy looking for advice..

Picture of me and my current tractor last winter...

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Those good old tractors do tend to be much heavier than todays compact tractors and that does make a difference. Some say that front wheel assist (4 wheel drive) adds about the equivalent of 10 hp over 2wd models. Liquid ballast in the rear tires (loaded tires) does help a great deal as well as chains. From what you describe it sounds like a 30 to 40 hp tractor should meet your needs. Is there a reason that you are only looking at Mahindra models? I would suggest you check out some of the other manufactures in your area to find the best fit.

Welcome to the forum. Pretty area you live in.

MarkV

Tractor
    Mahindra 3535

I don't really have a brand preference. I do like mahindra's price though and this was the only dealer that had bothered to return my calls so far. They're also a massey dealer, I had been interested in the Massey 2600 series but the dealer says they're discontinued and he hasn't been able to find one.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Massey Ferguson 2244 crawler

Unresponsive dealers just amazes me....don't make me work too hard to give you money, I always say.

Are you sure you had the FWD engaged when you tried pushing the snow? I did that when I first tried one that I was comparing a few months back....then I realized the lever wasn't all the way engaged....huge difference!

What were they asking for the 3616?

Tractor
    Mahindra 3535

Yeah no kidding, I deal with that nearly everywhere now. How are people in business if they make their customers do all the work to buy their products?

I had in 2wd for the first attempt and noted the wheel spin, backed off, found the lever, then tried again. This was a pile of slushy snowy ice... fairly hard stuff. didn't loose traction on the second try, what happened was the bucket sort of rode up and over the pile, shaving off a bit of the top. I have no doubt it would have driven right up and over too. I tried a couple of times and I just shaved some off each time. I think the issue at hand was most likely weight and downforce. I guess I should have tried dropping the loader until the front end came off the ground like I do my TO-30 then push but that sorta defeats the 4wd right?

Then I tried the 5035 and it just took a big healthy scoop, no fuss no struggle.

I also will mention that my wife came along and both of us looked at the 3616 and both immediately felt it looked like it was too small.

Didn't get a price on the 3616, the demo was the cab model and I want the open station. I was told a range of 1600-1800 with the loader though. They had the 5035 priced at about 23,000. I'm gonna have to check on that 4025... I like what I read, just wish they had one on the lot.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Welcome from Ohio. Take a Kioti DK 40 for a test ride.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU

kubota L3800 should fit your needs pretty well. Quality is great and resale value is unbeatable.