Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006?

/ Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006? #1  

Decflyer

Tractor
Deutz
Hello, This is my first posting to TBN. I'm Looking for advice. i need a tractor to Help me clear and mow about 10 acres of land. I mainly plan to use a bush hog on it. I'm considering purchasing a Deutz 3006. It looks Awful as far as cosmetics but mechanically appears fair. Owner is asking $3500.00. This will be my very first tractor if I purchase it. I'm in the construction business, somewhat mechanically incline but I have never seen or heard of one of these tractors. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

/ Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006? #2  
A mechanically sound air cooled Deutz will still be going when most tractors have quit, having said that any D3006 is going to be c.30yrs+ old so there's potentially a lot (ab)use behind the cosmestics.
These old Deutz air cooled engines usually go forever & sip fuel lightly,amongst our gear we still run an old 140hp & a 230hp Deutz which we've owned from new- the downside of the D3006 is despite their relatively large size the engine is 2cyl & at best only produces about 30hp which is ok to run a c.36" bush hog except in really heavy going - I'd expect too in the US parts (though maybe rarely needed) may be hard to come by.
IMO $3.5K (comparative to prices here in Australia) sounds like a lot of $'s for what I imagine is a rare battle weary "warrior" - for that money I'd be either looking for something of a similar age but a more mainstream brand ( Case, IH, Massey Ferguson..etc) in the 40-60hp range or at a guess for c.$4K in the US a more recent c.20hp 4WD Japanese Kubota or Iseki if you intent is it's mainly lawn mowing or light clearing,

/ Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006?
MBTRAC, thank you for all of the information and advice, that is the type of information I am looking for. I've been looking around for similar D3006 to see if the price appears to be in line. I've not found hardly any in southern USA which is hot in the summer. I have found some in northern USA which is much cooler in the summers. I'm wondering if the "Air Cooled" D3006 will be a problem and is this why I'm not finding many for sale in southern USA. Thanks again, and any others out there please feel free to pass along your thoughts. Thanks, DEC Flyer.

/ Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006? #4  
I think you'll find the rarity of old Deutz's in the USA may be due to strong competition from the local brands JD, Case...etc & better support/representation from their extensive established dealer network, & in most markets Deutz was postioned as a premium high priced product.

/ Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006? #5  
I spent many hours in the 1970s -80s on a 4506 that is still running today. We put a clutch in it 10 or 12 years ago but the engine has never needed any work. It seems like it will run forever on a tank of fuel.

No doubt a 3006 would be adequate to maintain 10 acres. As far as this specific tractor, I would definitely have to take a good look at it, even ask for a test drive with a bush hog or some other implement to check the PTO. I'd also focus on the engine, clutch, and 3-Point hitch. If all of those checked out ok, I wouldn't be scared of it.

/ Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006? #6  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons forum. :)

/ Should I Purchase a Deutz 3006? #7  
There was a big dealer in north Georgia thats why theres a few. I have owned a bigger 6 cyl model.
you can still get parts now its SAME DEUTZ FAHR in the USA.
Its probably a workable tractor but probably 1500 woul be a better price.

My past experience is most things in that price range just need as much spent fixin as you pay for the whole thing.