Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tractor
    JD 2210

Default Re: Hydro vs Standard Shift?

Cowboy doc, I agree with you on all points except the longevity of the hydro. Clutchs wear and are darn expensive to replace on a standard. I really think the Hydros have come a long way in durability. Overall other than the initial cost it is splitting hairs to me. I do realize for certain applications one has a slight edge over the other. If any one wants to give me a new machine I'll be willing to take either. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Iseki TU1700f

"I can't think of any advantage the gear drive has over the HST other than price

Let's see less durability, loss of power to the ground, difficult to get constant speed #'s, more expensive to fix, more expensive initially, etc. As far as work done with regard to digging, loading, back and forth, that depends alot on the operator. I know alot of operators that could work a gear tractor in circle around a lesser operator on a hydro. "

Well said, Doc.
    The constant back-and-forth would be THE ONLY reason I would want a hydro. Gimme gears, they are more durable and easier to keep a constant speed.

Tractor
    JD 2210

I suspect the hydro has grown so much in the cut market due to first time buyers. I grew up with gears, heck I like shifting so I can do my Tim The tool man Taylor grunt. My itty bity one did not have a choice. I do like the hydro after useing it but that is more to a clear step through operaters area than the actual trans.

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

You're right about the price on the repairs. This is strictly heresay but from what I've read here and heard from other the dealers the hydro repairs are alot more than the gear repairs. Difference for me is I can replace a clutch on a gear tractor no problem and save alot in labor. I wouldn't even begin to touch a hydro repair.

Tractor
    JD 2210

Thats a big perk to be able to that on your own. I have changed my share. I suspect for the average new CUT buyer that is not possible though. I would think if we put a stick and a hydro side by side to the same work the standard would need a clutch sooner, but I agree completely if the hydro was to need repairs it most likely would cost more. I think personally the glideshift styles with a reverser is the best of both worlds. Fast, reliable. less loss of PTO hp, less costly than a hydro. One thing no one mentioned is that the Hydro is a fuel demon in comparison.

Tractor
    JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer

I think personally the glideshift styles with a reverser is the best of both worlds.

I agree with you there for sure. I have the power reverser on my 4600 and love it. However, the sync shift on my new 5420 is just like it. I actually liked it better. In the cab you had to reach forward and around the steering wheel for the reverser. With the sync shift it's right by your side. I drove both of them and to me the power reverser was harder to operate on the tractor.

Tractor
    kubota l3830 hst/723 fel

anybody owned both hydro and power reverser???what do they like best??this would be the guy to talk too.bws

Veteran Member

I have heard that some Hydros have cruise control - is that right? One of the things that I didn't like about the hydros that I drove (rentals) was that to go forward, you had to hold down the pedal - to go faster, push further. To go backwards, either press the other pedal of rock the pedal back (I think I used both kinds - I didn't really like the rocking pedal - awkward for my foot). Anyway, the place I was going with all this was that with a gear tractor, you put the tractor in gear and take your feet of the brakes and clutch and your feet can set idly/comfortable on the floorboard, whereas with the hydro, you have to keep your foot on the pedal. I would guess if you are going back and forth alot, you would do it anyway clutch or hydro, but for say bushhogging, I let my feet set still on the platform for hours.

Is there cruise control or was that my imagination. Thanks.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( heard that some Hydros have cruise control )</font>

Well, we frequently refer to it as a "cruise control", kubota actually calls it a "speed set" device I believe, but yes, both my Kubotas had that. It simply holds the pedal in the position you set it so you can take both feet off the pedals and maintain a steady speed. Stepping on the hydro pedal or the brake pedals (both brake pedals together) will release it.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

as all have said prior IT WILL BE YOUR CHOICE. but i like HYDRO love the ability to go forwad or revers with out shifting and the ability to go faster or just creep with the rpms where u want them.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast