Hydro vs Standard Shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Hydro vs Standard Shift? #51  
Agreed, it's just that the gear trannies do not have this limitation.

/ Hydro vs Standard Shift? #52  
<font color="blue">All else being equal what about the noise factor? </font>

Some HSTs have a hydrostatic whine. Both of mine do and I find it quite pleasent. It is not loud or annoying. Just the sound of a different piece of machinery. I can't hear it when the mower or brushhogs are running, but can when doing loader work.

/ Hydro vs Standard Shift? #53  
<font color="blue"> Most HST tractors need to be run at high throttle all of the time. This provides pressure to the driveline and hydraulics and also provides proper lubrication.
</font>

OK, I'll recant my statement since several people have commented that they don't run their HST at high throttle most of the time. I'll change MOST to BOTH OF MY until I hear otherwise. Sorry for any bad information that I may have given. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

But I would still like to hear what the operator's manuals for several brands of HST say about operating RPMs please. Again, thanks in advance.

/ Hydro vs Standard Shift? #54  
I think it's time to have the "First Annual Tractor Olympics"!

/ Hydro vs Standard Shift? #55  
<font color="blue"> I think it's time to have the "First Annual Tractor Olympics"! </font>

Wouldn't that be fun. Take the same tractor with the same engine, but a GEAR and a HST and put them to work. Use the same operator and the same tasks.

What events would you folks like to see? Here's a few.

FEL in loose material from point A to point B.
FEL in hard soil from point A to point B.
Mowing
Brush hogging
Field plowing

And don't forget the obstacle course! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Hydro vs Standard Shift? #56  
It would be interesting to see a farm covered w/ CUTS like ants on a ant hill.. and the farmer who hosted the event would get all his farm work done in a weekend!

/ Hydro vs Standard Shift? #57  
Attempting to straighten out the misunderstandings, but it's not easy here

It's not easy because everything is speculation and personal bias and opinion. Things are stated as fact when they are not. It's opinion that you can run your tractor at lower rpms but the manual and other owners disagree. That's why there is never going to be consensus on any of this. Just state your opinion and move on. You are not anymore right or wrong than anyone else on this issue. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for someone else. It's an individual choice and one is not anymore right or wrong than the other.

/ Hydro vs Standard Shift? #60  
DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, just provide some information for all of us to share. If anyone has something similar in their owner's manuals, please provide it as I'm just curious by nature as to other machines and such. I really enjoy learning new things. Thanks.

Here's what it says in my operator's manual:

This is for a late '70s International Harvestor 2500B. It is a 50PTO HP 4 cylinder gas engine tractor/loader with HST. Some came with backhoes, mine came with a 3PT hitch with draft and position control and independant PTO.

This is from page 22 if you care to read along, if you have the book, of course /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .

"Greatest efficiency of entire tractor, loader, and backhoe is at 2000 engine RPM and up, depending on desired speed of tools... the tractor forward and reverse travel speeds are controlled by range movement of the foot pedals or the Remote Drive Control Lever.

When pedal is not depressed, the transmission is in a locked or braked position.

Maximum torque and slowest travel speed is obtained with the least downward movement of the pedal.

Example: The least possible depression of the pedals will give you the slowest speed with the greatest torque to the drive wheels for digging or crowding into the stock pile or bank.

Using the tractor brakes is rarely required because:

As your foot moves upward from the hydrostatic pedal you are automatically decelerating your travel speed... and when your foot moves completely off the pedal, the pedal returns to the neutral or lock-up position and automatically brakes your transmission and travel."

It goes on on the next page to read:

"The hydrostatic transmission is designed so that: In high range the travel speed deceleration is less abrupt(slower) and the braking is more cushioned to prevent abrupt automatic braking."

"The cushioned braking and travel speed deceleration is timed with the automatic pedal return(or full-up position)

This definite time differential is designed into the system to not only provide the travel speed deceleration and cushioned stop but prevents accidental reversal of direction by the operator."

This is the part about the engine providing control at all times, which would include braking.

"The operator accustomed to mechanical or torque converter equipped tractor may be in the habit of reducing the engine speed for more positive control when operating in close quarters. This is neither necessary nor desirable with the hydrostatic tractor because the higher engine RPM will provide more positive control of not only the hydraulic tools but also the travel speed and automatic deceleration and braking. Maximum performance and control is achieved with high engine speed."

So, this is where I got my impression that the HST should be run at higher RPMS most of the time. Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.