Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #11  
Steer away from a BX class machine if you want to go into the woods, move logs or handle moderately deep snow on a 500' driveway. They are built LOW on purpose.

Look at what your going to want to move and how you want to move it. What's a "great FEL lift capacity" 500 lbs? 1K lbs? 2K lbs?

My B7610 is rated for 700lbs, my M4700 for 2,000lbs (Kubota numbers their loaders by capacity in kilograms).

Lot's of peeps move wood using the 3pt alone. Lot's more weight capacity, less maneuverability than the FEL, you can't lift as high.

What's
Nimble enough that I could clean out parts of the barn if/when animals arrive.
?
Are you going to try and muck out horse stalls by driving into a 5' wide stall with your FEL? My B7610 might do that my M4700 NO WAY.

You were not real clear in your "budget statement" if you expected to get the tractor with FEL, cab, snowblower and plow for $15K or the tractor and FEL for $15K.

Do you have any idea what your neighbors own? If you get the same brand they might be able to give advice a lot better.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #12  
For Kubota, look at L3130, L3200, L2800, L3400, L3800, L3240. For John Deere, look at 650-670-690, 750-770-790, 850-870-890, 950-970-990.

Though older, look at John Deere 1020, 1520, 2020 and International Harvester 444, 454, 464. These are ag utility tracors in 30-40 Hp.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #13  
Thanks, good points. It's always that balance of money and need. In all honesty I could probably get by with a SCUT if I had to. I'm trying to find that sweet spot on price. For example a SCUT (bx25 for example) with a BH and loader can be found used for 13k. I can also pickup a L3240, no cab but heavier loader for that price. Seems like that's a lot of tractor for the 11k-13k price range...

We really like our SCUTs, but would not have considered them as an only tractor, as mentioned, they have very limited ground clearance, about 8.2" and while great for mowing and some light woods work, they just don't do well in the woods; trust me, we have replaced tie rods on both of ours. A large B Series is about as low as I would go such as B2630/3030,3000, 3200 etc. or equivalent in any other brand.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer.
I'm trying to narrow in on the frame size of the B series or the L series in the kubota brand. Because we get so much snow, I think the heavier framed tractor would be more beneficial?

This is going to be our only tractor, I'm now convinced that a SCUT would not cut it.

There are no neighbors that have tractors of the era I'm considering.

Budget depends, I think it's reasonable to find the tractor, FEL and maybe a cab (even aftermarket) for 15k.

I was in a similar situation last winter/spring. If you read some of my threads I was looking all over for a 40hp tractor that would lift a ton on the 3 point (for logs).

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/266427-l3750-w-1000hrs-good-bad.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/267769-3pt-lift-capacity-l3830.html

I ended up getting an M4700 with 1400 hrs on it for $12K (51HP, 2 ton on the 3pt, 1 ton on the FEL) from a Public Surplus auction.

BUT just before I bought it I ALMOST bought an L4630 from Barlows (Inventory | Barlow Equipment) for about $17K delivered to Tupelo, MS.

After some recent praises about Barlows on here I'd strongly recommend you give them a call, it could be well worth the delivery fee.

Now I'm stuck with a tractor with twice the lift capacity, 10 extra HP and a big smile :) I'm sure I would be just as happy with one of Barlows.

As an aside I'm "lucky" I found one local to Virginia. Right about when I bought it my son had decided to move into a house I've got locally which has required a LOT of cleanup, and the tractor has really come in handy.

Again - call Barlow's

As I get closer to a final purchase I'll be sure to give them a call. I keep an eye on auctions but they are pretty few and far between up here. Thanks for the tip though!

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #17  
My first tractor was a Kubota B7800. It was a great tractor with plenty of power for the size it was. I lost count of the hundreds of tons of dirt and gravel combined I moved with it when building my house. I cleared 2 acres of large hardwood trees with it also. It handled a 5 foot rotary cutter fine. I moved snow with the front end loader and rear blade. It was ok for that, but you're talking about a snowblower which is obviously better. We don't get large amounts of snow here.

I now own a L3540 and sold the B7800 to my brother in law. The extra weight and size is exactly what I was looking for. The B7800 seemed so light for the jobs I was doing. While moving dirt or tilling I would have to be in 4WD. With the L3540 it has much more weight (I also have the tires loaded) and I find I am rarely in 4WD. The loader capacity is also a plus for the L. I found myself thinking, "Man. Wish I had gotten the larger tractor to begin with." The cab is also great to have. It was my wife's idea and I'm glad she wanted it more than me.

With 20 acres, I don't think you could go wrong with a larger tractor. The B series is nice, but for heavy work I would look to a heavier tractor. I am not loyal to brand. I have Kubota mainly because the dealer works with me. The John Deere dealer would not even call me back. But they make great tractors too. I have driven my share of those also. Good luck.

My first tractor was a Kubota B7800. It was a great tractor with plenty of power for the size it was. I lost count of the hundreds of tons of dirt and gravel combined I moved with it when building my house. I cleared 2 acres of large hardwood trees with it also. It handled a 5 foot rotary cutter fine. I moved snow with the front end loader and rear blade. It was ok for that, but you're talking about a snowblower which is obviously better. We don't get large amounts of snow here.

I now own a L3540 and sold the B7800 to my brother in law. The extra weight and size is exactly what I was looking for. The B7800 seemed so light for the jobs I was doing. While moving dirt or tilling I would have to be in 4WD. With the L3540 it has much more weight (I also have the tires loaded) and I find I am rarely in 4WD. The loader capacity is also a plus for the L. I found myself thinking, "Man. Wish I had gotten the larger tractor to begin with." The cab is also great to have. It was my wife's idea and I'm glad she wanted it more than me.

With 20 acres, I don't think you could go wrong with a larger tractor. The B series is nice, but for heavy work I would look to a heavier tractor. I am not loyal to brand. I have Kubota mainly because the dealer works with me. The John Deere dealer would not even call me back. But they make great tractors too. I have driven my share of those also. Good luck.

Thanks! This is exactly what I needed to hear. Sounds like I'll continue to be looking at L series or equivalent.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #19  
I am an unabashed Kubota fan, I am on my second and probably last one now as they are durable and hold their value. If you doubt about size go larger and you won't be sorry. Kubota offers some pretty good reasonably priced insurance as well that may pay for itself if you damage the tractor or more likely the loader. It is $250 deductible and it covers the pick up and return costs to the dealer as a part of the coverage. The L or possibly the MX series would seem to best suit your needs from what I have read here. If you get a loader be sure to get the SSQA for the loader as it greatly enhances the ease of changing loader attachments. There is a seemingly endless array of attachments available for the loader and 3 point hitch system. Extendable arms and adjustable sway bars for the 3 point hitch will also make use much easier and changing attachments much quicker. These features are available on most brands. Check each brand and model for features that are included in the base price in order to be able to make valid comparisons. Warranty service is a big deal also. A local dealer is better in the event of service needs even though there are none very close to your location. A dealer 250 miles away is better than one 1,000 away. Consider a new machine and talk with the dealer. Some offer 0 % financing if money is an issue and being new to tractors the insurance is cheap if you break something while you are learning. Over the years I have had a lot of old iron and it worked pretty good and I got by with it. However, my first new tractor was a joy and I spent a lot more time using it than I did working on it and improvising. Good luck.