Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #1  

a5t1

Silver Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5600
Background: I had a 1 acre lot that was manicured with a GC2300, MMM and FEL. Great machine for what it was, really got me into the tractor / SCUT way of doing things.

Present day: We are closing on a 20 acre hobby farm that currently has no animals. The 20 acres is mostly wooded with two big clearings (maybe a total of 4-5 acres). The clearings are not manicured lawn and I don't think they ever will be (meaning heavier tractor will probably be okay) We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so snow removal is going to be on the top of the list. The gravel driveway is 500' long.

The GC2300 was a really nice machine but would be too small / take to long to perform the workload on this piece. I'm looking for a tractor that can has great FEL lift capacity (gravel, dirt, fill, snow, etc). Strong enough for general farm work although I don't see making hay in the near future. Removing small trees, cleaning up some of the overgrowth is top priority. Nimble enough that I could clean out parts of the barn if/when animals arrive. Strong enough to run either a front mount snowblower or a 3 pt snowblower with a plow mounted on the front for snow removal. A cab is a must due to the weather (aftermarket would be fine).

I would also like to keep the budget to around 15k. I've been reading about the Kubota L3240 which I think fits the needs pretty well. For that price range I'm looking at some used models as new the MSRP is close to 40k. I'm not brand loyal, interested to hear if anyone has thoughts on Kioti CK35? Maybe the L3240 isn't the right choice?

My reliance on a dealer will be minimal as there aren't any in this area. So the warranty issue is almost void...

Any thoughts?

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #2  
A wide range of tractors would fit those needs, the L3240 is indeed a nice tractor though I would prefer the L3540 just because of the small difference in price and a little added HP. We own and use several brands, my brother just bought a new Kioti CK27 I think and so far is happy with it. I would indeed look at all of the major brands, John Deere, Kioti, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, New Holland etc. especially buying used and you won't need a local dealer.

In my opinion, you are certainly in the right ball park as to size as almost any tractor will often by necessity be something of a compromise.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer.
Surprisingly enough, the L3540 on the used market is quite a bit more expensive. I've found L3240s with the smaller loader start around 12k, the L3540s start around 17k w/ the loader. ~30% price difference, I don't have any experience to know if they're worth it.

Any recommendations on an older model like the L3130? I'm not familiar enough with Deere to find a comparable match...

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #4  
I was in a similar situation last winter/spring. If you read some of my threads I was looking all over for a 40hp tractor that would lift a ton on the 3 point (for logs).

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/266427-l3750-w-1000hrs-good-bad.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/267769-3pt-lift-capacity-l3830.html

I ended up getting an M4700 with 1400 hrs on it for $12K (51HP, 2 ton on the 3pt, 1 ton on the FEL) from a Public Surplus auction.

BUT just before I bought it I ALMOST bought an L4630 from Barlows (Inventory | Barlow Equipment) for about $17K delivered to Tupelo, MS.

After some recent praises about Barlows on here I'd strongly recommend you give them a call, it could be well worth the delivery fee.

Now I'm stuck with a tractor with twice the lift capacity, 10 extra HP and a big smile :) I'm sure I would be just as happy with one of Barlows.

As an aside I'm "lucky" I found one local to Virginia. Right about when I bought it my son had decided to move into a house I've got locally which has required a LOT of cleanup, and the tractor has really come in handy.

Again - call Barlow's

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #5  
Check with "rosybrosinc.com" an agressive(low price) Kubota dealer near Dryden Michigan. Your choice in a L3240 or similar sounds like a good one.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #6  
Surprisingly enough, the L3540 on the used market is quite a bit more expensive. I've found L3240s with the smaller loader start around 12k, the L3540s start around 17k w/ the loader. ~30% price difference, I don't have any experience to know if they're worth it.

Any recommendations on an older model like the L3130? I'm not familiar enough with Deere to find a comparable match...

No, it wouldn't be worth that much price differential to me. I would think the 3230 would be in the ball park, it isn't giving up much in power, but it does not have the HST+ a feature I like but can and have lived without, I liked my L5030 really well. One of the members has a 3130, but I can't recall who it is. As mentioned there are a lot of different tractors that will work, but the need for a smaller machine does narrow it a bit. A few years ago I left home to buy a 35 HP tractor and wound up with a used 50 HP and was glad I did, but I didn't need for it to fit into really small spaces.

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #7  
a5t1,

Look at "tractorhouse.com" it is a site for tractor dealers all over the country to post their equipment for sale. You can check the specifications of any tractor (Horsepower, Transmission, dimensions) at "tractordata.com".

a5t1,

Look at "tractorhouse.com" it is a site for tractor dealers all over the country to post their equipment for sale. You can check the specifications of any tractor (Horsepower, Transmission, dimensions) at "tractordata.com".

Thanks, I have the app on my phone and also consult tractordata. Does anyone have exact models of tractor that they would suggest?

No, it wouldn't be worth that much price differential to me. I would think the 3230 would be in the ball park, it isn't giving up much in power, but it does not have the HST+ a feature I like but can and have lived without, I liked my L5030 really well. One of the members has a 3130, but I can't recall who it is. As mentioned there are a lot of different tractors that will work, but the need for a smaller machine does narrow it a bit. A few years ago I left home to buy a 35 HP tractor and wound up with a used 50 HP and was glad I did, but I didn't need for it to fit into really small spaces.

Thanks, good points. It's always that balance of money and need. In all honesty I could probably get by with a SCUT if I had to. I'm trying to find that sweet spot on price. For example a SCUT (bx25 for example) with a BH and loader can be found used for 13k. I can also pickup a L3240, no cab but heavier loader for that price. Seems like that's a lot of tractor for the 11k-13k price range...

/ Help me identify the right tractor, I'm two hours from any type of dealer. #10  
I looked at Kubota, Mahindra, John Deer and Massey Ferguson ad they were the only dealers close. When I saw the prices for the John Deers, dropped it off the list. Ended up with a MF 2605 4x4 as it seemed to have the strongest loader and they had better prices. Plus it did not a bunch of electronics and is made simpler. Started out as a choice between Kubota and Mahindra and was leaning on the Kubota LT3200DT (also looked at the L3800 DT) so rented one and it was ok but a little higher priced and smaller than the MF2605. The biggest turn off for the Mahindra was even the new tractors were showing faded paint after a few months. Only have 33 hrs on the 2605 and am satisfied so far. If I had planed on selling it any time might have went to the Kubota but the MF will be my life time tractor.