Buying Advice Looking for yanmar advice

/ Looking for yanmar advice #1  

jb2010

I am looking at buying a new (to me) Yanmar tractor. Looking at 20-30hp models. I am staying away from the ones that continuously smoke or that will only crank if u pull the decompression lever. Here is my question: I'm running in to a few tractors that will only crank from a cold start if u heat the glow plugs (or thermal whatever). By cold I mean hasn't been ran in a few days. Temps are 70+. Is this also a sign of engine wear. Should I shy away from this issue also? Ive seen this on 2&3 cylinders on a ym2200, 2310d, and a 2610. They do this yet they don't have any blow by. I'm buying used from individual owners and trying to do all my homework as I can't afford to go to Fredericks and buy a really nice one nor can I afford to make a $3000 bad decision. My 2220 I sold would crank at almost any temp after turning it over no more than 3 or 4 times regardless of any Alabama temp. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx!

Last edited:
   / Looking for yanmar advice #2  
Some engines are more finicky than others when cranking... ive got a new Miller bobcat welder I got with zero hours on it. Even when temps are 80 degrees you have to glow plug it when first cranking. I see this a lot on the smaller 2 and 3 cyl diesels.

/ Looking for yanmar advice
Thx for the input. Anyone else?

/ Looking for yanmar advice #4  
Having to heat the glow plugs when cold isn't indicative of any issue, providing the tractor then starts quickly without excessive cranking & all other signs are ok (e.g post initial start up no smoke, no blow by ...etc.)
It's quite common/recommended on many small (low tech) Japanese diesel iengines to always use glow plugs when cold & irrespective of the prevailing ambient temperature - but if the engine then takes more than 10 seconds to fire I'd be finding another machine to invest my $'s.

Good deal. Thx!

/ Looking for yanmar advice #6  
I've had my 2200 for 15 yrs and always have to cold start it by using the glow plugs. A well charged battery is important for good quick starts. Having to use the glow plugs is not a sign of wear or problems, it's normal for that model.

FYI, the 2200 is a good strong older model but it is somewhat the rare breed too. It's known as a "grey market orphan", meaning it was only built 1-2 yrs, parts are a lil harder to find. I'd already bought mine when I learned this. Still a good tractor by all means though.

Very good info!!
The 2610 I looked at was the same way. (With the glow plugs) It's a little bigger but works great also. Would it be a better buy than the 2200? I found out the 2200 has a broken cable for the tachometer. He said he replaced it and it worked for a few minutes and broke again..? Not sure what that's about. Any clues on the better route to take?

/ Looking for yanmar advice #8  
a tach that doesnt work wouldnt stop me from buying a machine if thats it only "problem" ...tons of tractors running around without working tachs and they still do a fine job. Most all injector pumps have throttle stops on them to keep from over revving the motor.

/ Looking for yanmar advice #9  
I think most Yanmar diesels will have some smoke. I have a 186d......I use the thermostart on all cold starts and the decompression lever. It designed that way....even says it in my manuals. Tractor runs like a champ....blows a little smoke under load......a little work horse!

/ Looking for yanmar advice #10  
3-cylinder Yanmars will generally start quickly at 70 degrees without glow-plugs. They even start well at 50 degrees and a little cooler. That is not the case with many small diesel engines. Many brands of small diesel engines require a little glow plug if the engine is "room temperature" even in the summer, but not the little Yanmars in my experience anyway.

But as mentioned, if a little glow or thermo-start will make it fire right up and you do not have any noticeable blow-by, then I'd think the rings are still sealing well and you should be fine.

Somebody can probably chime in an explain direct vs indirect injection and pre-combustion chambers and all that stuff and explain why some diesel designs fire up so well and so need glow.