Buying Advice to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor

/ to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor
On the other hand, the Simplicity mower is for fine grass and I've still got rough brush. Never mind.

/ to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor #34  
dunno if I would call it a SCUT ..no rear PTO or 3PL, but it should do the job as well, not as popular as Kubota or JD though
My prefered machine for mowing steep slopes would be a John Deere X595/X748 with HDAP tires, followed by Kubota BX (coz I got one!)
My Bad .. is that legacy 4WD???

Last edited:
   / to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor #35  
Actually having used RFM, rotary cutters and MMM on BX's since 2003, we find the MMM adds more to stability thann an RFM as the RFM rides with all of its weight on the ground which adds nothing to stability that we can discern. The MMM on the other hand is a suspended type with nothing touching the ground and the full weight of the mower acting to lower the center of gravity.

In the raised position, the RFM does act well as a counter balance to the FEL, but when in use, all the weight is on the ground and noen on the tractor. Perhaps I am am misunderstanding though.

I have just added wheel spacers to our two BX's to increase side-hill stability even though we have yet to have problems, just makes me feel more comfortable as my wife mows some fairly steep slopes.

/ to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor #36  
Actually having used RFM, rotary cutters and MMM on BX's since 2003, we find the MMM adds more to stability thann an RFM as the RFM rides with all of its weight on the ground which adds nothing to stability that we can discern. The MMM on the other hand is a suspended type with nothing touching the ground and the full weight of the mower acting to lower the center of gravity.

In the raised position, the RFM does act well as a counter balance to the FEL, but when in use, all the weight is on the ground and noen on the tractor. Perhaps I am am misunderstanding though.

I have just added wheel spacers to our two BX's to increase side-hill stability even though we have yet to have problems, just makes me feel more comfortable as my wife mows some fairly steep slopes.

I have also found that a MMM will help some as a ballast when lifting heavy with the 3PH.

/ to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor #37  
elicia,

Borrowing a phrase from Mike Ditka in reference to his contract negotiations with the Bears owner George Halas many years ago: (He's tosses nickels around like manhole covers!)

I know money is an issue but $200 or so a month will buy you a new Sub-Compact with FEL + mower including required insurance (0% financing)

/ to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor #38  
I have and like the BX series and think I have said as much in another post. I need someone to back me up on this but it looks like there is a seasonal difference maybe as much as $2000 on used and now is not a good time to buy.

But if you have the money in the budget a new BX with a FEL would be a great thing to have on your property. These tractors should last a lifetime of residential use the FEL on this tractor is a back saver in ways you can't imagine till you have one. They only lift about 500 lbs but for me it makes projects possible that I was thinking I was too old to do. Not that I am 80 but once you get past 40 or 50 it is best to think twice about using your back for a crane :)

/ to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor #39  
I am leaning towards this one , it is a SCUT, right? I do like the idea of power steering for my little self.
SIMPLICITY LEGACY DIESEL TRACTOR W/60" MOWER

The distinction between a high-end garden tractor and a SCUT does get fuzzy. Simplicity calls it a subcompact, so I'll go with that. Whatever you call it, Simplicity is a good brand, but this wouldn't be my first pick on hilly terrain. Here's why.

For hills, it's got the 4wd, but only a single range transmission... so it wouldn't have the ruggedness and pulling power on hills of the SCUT's such as those offered Kubota, John Deere or some others. Don't know if you could get farm-type tires for it, either.

The other thing is safety. Maybe I'm bit of a safety nut, but I've known people who lost their lives in tractor accidents on hillsides. So forgive me for noticing that it also does not have seatbelts or a "roll-over bar" to protect the driver if it tips over, even though it probably weighs over 1,000 lbs.

If you were only going to operate it on fairly level terrain, it would be a fine choice.

/ to buy a garden tractor or a compact tractor #40  
I'm certain my JD425 GT with all wheel steer and wheel spacers is way safer on hills than just about any SCUT or CUT. So, if mostly just mowing and want to be the safest you can get, go with a high end GT. They are good for mowing, snow removal, and cart hauling. For most other tasks a SCUT/CUT is the way to go.

If I were considering a BX, I'd step it up a notch and look at small CUTs like the Mahindra MAX series or the Kioti CK20 (or Bobcat/McCormick twins). The MAX28XL is a real nice package. These recommendations are a lot of tractor for the money. If you do go SCUT/CUT definitely load the rear tires and maybe spacers too if you can get them.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a used JD 425, 445, or 455 and cut with that for a year or two. You should be able to get into a pretty good one for $3K - $5k or so. Then after a year or two, consider a bigger tractor if you need it. You'll be able to make a much smarter decision and may decide to keep the GT for finish mowing. Perhaps a similar argument could be made for some of the older and smaller BXs that might be in the same price range. But, their center of gravity is a bit higher than a GT.