GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!!

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #1  

flemdog

Tractor
JD 4310
I am planning on buying a compact in the near future. I have ten acres and mow all of it in sections. There are some big hills. Some of it I use a bush hog and around the house I use mid mount mower. Also, I need FEL for just regular work around the farm. Looking for a diesel, 4wd,and about 23-30hp.
I would like some knowlelge on which tractor would be the best purchase. (ie) brand name, hp, model number, features that are better than others etc. and anything else. Thank you and look forward to the input.

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #2  
Re: GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE

You will get LOTS of advise on this one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif What dealers do you have in your area ? I would check them all out and try out a few different tractors. This will give you some good input for your decision.
Of course there are the Kubota's, Green one's and NH. But is you have dealers for them in your area you might also want to consider the Korean tractors. Kioti, branson,century... They are on a par with the big 3 brands and usually quite a bit cheaper. You also need to decide if you want a gear type of tranny with shuttle shift or a hydro tranny. See the next thread on here for many opinions on that.

Enjoy and good luck.

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #3  
You'll get lot's of advice here and most of it will be great.

I could go on about one thing being better than another but I won't.

So here's what I recommend.

A Hew Holland TC-33D HST, with 7308 FEL, 914A MMM, a 72" rotary cutter of your choice, to start with.

I have about your same situation and this setup works great for me.

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #4  
Im with DavidJ on this one. Of course im a little biased because I own a New Holland also! I have the same tractor as David (except 4 less horsepower) and it is one awesome machine! I maintain 50 acres with it (mowing, fel work, 1/4 mile driveway maintenance, hauling out logs, etc) and it is always up to the job. Plenty of power, yet just small enough to mow a lawn with pulling a finish mower. My tractor is the TC29D. Like I said, its the same exact unit at the TC33 except the horsepower. I chose the 29 because it was a little less expensive. Give them a look! I can tell you, you can't go wrong with any of the top brands.. they all make great units! (New Holland, Kubota, John Deere, Case, etc...) And whatever you do, don't even think about purchasing a tractor without a FEL. I almost did that and am thanking god that I didnt. I use my FEL more than any piece of equipment I have ever owned.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif-Brad

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #5  
Re: GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE

Spend some time checking out the Power Trac on the tractor formus. For the money and ease of maintance they are amazing machines. I have a Kubota and 11 pcs of equipment and the Power Trac is taking over all the chores the Kubota has done in the past. PS I was a railroad man and quit 25 years ago to be self-employed, still trying to figure that one out. Good Luck

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #6  
I think it awfully tough for anyone here to recomend a brand. Some brands do have features that make them better over others. Some favor a brand because of a feature. I think your on the right track with the 30hp range. If I was you go out and get some of them rigs under your seat and test drive them. If this is a purchase for in the future then you gots lots of time to play a bit with each of them. The most important thing in my view is not what color the tractor is, it is more important to have a relationship with your dealer. Make sure you deal with a dealer that you trust. Price plays a factor but when there is trouble and your dealer doesn't help you, then the good price is not such a good price anymore. Again go out and test drive them all and you will find the one you want along with the dealer that you feel the most comfortable with.

murph

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #7  
Thcri;

This is excellent advice! It should be required reading for all new members who are interested in purchasing tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #8  
While test drives are important, I liken them to shopping for a new matress or Lazy Boy recliner. YOU CAN'T TEST DRIVE IT FOR WEEKS (which is how long it takes to give something a chance to see if you like it). You are in the right arena with your parameters. I drive a green JD 4310 and am very happy with it. also have 5 ft shredder, 6 ft box blade, FEL

DO's
1 go with your favored dealer, who has been in business long time, stocks parts and implements, offers timely repairs with a clean service department staffed with knowledgeable folk.
2 stay with main brands for many reasons, resale, parts etc..
3 ask questions here and at your dealer, don't be surprised if you get 50 different answers, everyone has opinions.
4 get a front end loader
5 get hydrostatic tranny if you can afford it.
6 plan on enjoying your seat time.

DONT'S
1 Buy 50 miles away to save $200.
2 factor weight of machine too much, it tears up your yard
3 compare apples to oranges
4 don't forget your free hat.

good luck

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #9  
Stay with main brands????? Most of them are anymore. And most of them are made over seas. They may put them togethter over here, but they only make a part of them here, maybe not any parts to speak of. Just buy what fits you and you like the way it works. That is more inportant than brands. You can get parts for and will be able to just about any of them, and I'm sure for a long time. For the most part, most of the "brands" are here to stay.

/ GOING TO MAKE A PURCHASE , I NEED SOME ADVICE!! #10  
won't suggest name brand as that it a large can of worms. which ever color u like is the one to get. but will tell u that u should stay in the upper end of hp range u mentioned , also power steering and of course my favorite, HYDRO /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif