Buying Advice HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn?

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #11  
if you get a small cab tractor you can have ac and a radio while you mow.

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #12  
I'd get a tractor with a MMM. Better maneuverability than a rear finish mower, and for light landscape work you can leave the deck on.

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #13  
Since you just moved there, I'd get a tractor with all implements as it will be easier to maintain one engine. As time goes on, you will either hate to have another machine to maintain or get a zero turn that is easier on you in terms of swapping and just have a mower only as you might find you need extra help. As you said - you already can forsee other needs and uses for a tractor with FEL/plow/blower/tiller/mower.

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #14  
It depends on the nature of your lawn area. We have about 3 acres of "lawn" but there are 80+ trees in that area, a pool, two sheds, swing set, house, deck, driveway, gardens, gazebo, etc. I also maintain grass along the roads for about 4000'. We went with the commercial ZTR first and cannot imagine cutting with anything else: the speed on the straight flat, the ability to get around all the obstacles, and quality of cut are great. We are also lucky that the 3 acres were finished well and just need maintenance. It still takes 3-4 hours per week to maintain but with a tractor and finish mower it would be more.

Now we need something to assist with remainder of our property and that is where we are looking for a compact tractor to add to the ZTR. The only thing the ZTR does other than cut grass is pick up leaves with the Cyclone Rake in the fall.

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #15  
Have both and now rely on z- turn for all grass mowing as a matter of fact sold finishing mower and bush hog since they were never used. Looking now to invest in sickle bar for trimming around pond. If z-turn breaks have 44 in walk behind to fall back on. Our land in places is steep so tractor is only useful in certain areas. But for snow removal dirt and mulch can't be beat so maybe one of each. Good at spending your money as some of us can be. Also working on cleaning up area for garden for when I retire

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #16  
2) Commercial Zero Turn Mower
--Fast and good looking cut
--Limited alternative uses and less durability

Thanks in advance

I don't know why you would think a commercial zero turn would be less durable. Ferris mower have 4 wheel suspension, if you want a Perkins (Cat) diesel and a drive train like a hydro compact tractor.

As others have pointed out if you have a lot of objects to mow around or hills I like a zero turn. My dad has a Kubota BX tractor and he does a lot of "weedeating" with a string trimmer. I do some, but I don't need to get as large an area around a tree as he does. I tried a zero turn and ended up with a commercial walk behind and stand up sulky. I had a Deere 700 series mower, but it could not mow as fast as zero turns. I also have a lot of slopes and the walker handles them much better than the Deere did. Now if you have low slopes, and not much stuff to mow around, a tractor would be the way to go. My BIL has a Massey that's around 50Hp with a cab and a rear finish mower and it works good for him.

I went with a walker vs the ride on just because of cost. A good zero turn can cost over 10K new.

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #17  
Definitely depends on if you have uses for the tractor and multiple attachments for it. If you are planning on taking over what you have the farmer doing, then going the tractor route might be best at first. If you plan on using him for the foreseeable future, then just get a zero turn for mowing the grass.

I started off with a tractor and a mid-mount mower. Worked fine plus I had the added functionality of the tractor. I bought a zero turn (diesel) because my mother wanted to cut grass, but she had lost part of her leg. So the zero turn was way easier for her to get on and off and was really comfortable for her to use. After she passed, I kept it because it is faster than the tractor in cutting the grass, and is really comfortable to use. :p

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #18  
Its a very hard decision. I was in a very similar situation as you a few years back. For all the good reasons mentioned here ... plus no experience ... I went with the tractor and 60 inch 3 point mower. It worked just fine for mowing plus I had the tiller and FEL to help with other stuff. Then, one day, my neighbor said I should try his zero turn to mow the yard area (about 3 acres). Well, that zero turn had the yard done in about 1/4th the time it took with the tractor. No wide swinging turns, much much much faster speeds, cut trimming time way down as you get closer to trees and other stuff in the yard, etc. etc. Plus, it was actually enjoyable to do the mowing. I have to admit moving along at 3 MPH cutting grass on the tractor got a tad boring to me. You really can't get bored on a zero turn.

So, I then had to get a zero turn to do the mowing.

I realze this probably doesn't make your decision any easier but it is my experience. Good luck.

MoKelly

/ HELP: Tractor+Finish Mower or Commercial Zero Turn? #19  
I moved to 1 acre from the city 10 years ago and bought a deere 445 w/ a 54" deck and rear box blade and a dump bucket for the front. I have 50 trees now and have gotten into grading my yard for better drainage, touching up my drive, etc. It's amazing how much you can find to do. My garden tractor does alot, but I wish I had gone with a ztm and a used tractor with loader and box blade. Buy a used commercial zero turn and then follow it up with a used tractor down the road.