Buying Advice Speedometer for Compact John Deere

/ Speedometer for Compact John Deere #1  

rblauser

Tractor
John Deere 2305
Is it possible to have a speedometer installed on my John Deere 2305 compact tractor. I use rotary spreaders and a boom sprayer and find it would be much easier to calibrate and use if I could monitor my ground speed accurately.

/ Speedometer for Compact John Deere #2  
Might consider a gps unit if you have other uses for it. I haven't bought or fooled with a new model lately but I would think that some of the new handheld units would do the trick for you.

Typically when I buy a new spreader I have to play with it to get comfortable with fertilizer and seed application. I will usually make multiple light passes to help get the amount of material spread evenly and the density correct. This has worked out better for me on the small equipment as most small spreaders and small tractors don't have very precise metering anyway.

Will be interested in what you find out that works.

/ Speedometer for Compact John Deere #3  
GPS, or a bike speedo with a sensor mounted to the rear axle.

Aaron Z

/ Speedometer for Compact John Deere #4  
I think a bike speedo would be the way to go.

/ Speedometer for Compact John Deere #5  
If you have a smartphone you could use one of the various speedometer apps but it may be too hard to read the screen in sunlight.

/ Speedometer for Compact John Deere #6  
When I fertized this spring I used my cell phone to "calibrate" my speed. I just put the hydro pedal to the floor and kept incresing the RPM's til I was at 3 MPH. I was using a pull type spreader so RPMs did not really matter. The GPS speedometer on my phone is too slow to use it for your realtime speed. If I am going 3mph and incresase my speed rapidly it takes it a few seconds to catch up.