Ag tires vs. Industral

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #1  

spanky8N

Silver Member
Tractor
Red, blue, orange, green...did I miss any?
My local dealer quoted me an additional $800 if I choose ag tires over industral on a new TC40. I was surprised at the price difference. I do not have much expierence in this area. Does the price difference sound fair?

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #2  
Sounds fishy to me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm not sure about NH, but I thought usually the ag tires were standard and the R4 industrials were extra.

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #3  
I'll have to agree with GreenMtnMan. I thought that R1's usually came standard with the R4's being extra. Maybe they switched. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( an additional $800 if I choose ag tires over industral )</font>

Actually, the AG tires are the most inexpensive tires you can buy...

Check with another local dealer for a comparative price...

(or does your dealer think you want "spare" ag tires with the mounted industrials...?)

/ Ag tires vs. Industral
"or does your dealer think you want "spare" ag tires with the mounted industrials"

Nope. Choosing ag tires over industrial will cost me an additional $800. No spares. I guess I should check the price of the ag tires all by themselves.

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #6  
Spanky -- Is that price for R1 ags...or for the wide, beefy R1W ags? If the wide mega-ply type, it's worth an extra $800.

Pete

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'll have to agree with GreenMtnMan. I thought that R1's usually came standard with the R4's being extra. Maybe they switched. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font>

Or maybe he has no aggies in stock and doesn't want to hassle with satisfying the customer. I'd go back to him and ask why he is charging more for ags when every other tractor owner you know paid less for them.

Pete

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #8  
Somewhere on TBN, is another NH user that inquired about Ag tires instead of Industrials on a NH... I believe the price difference was something like ~ $200. more for AG's from NH...

It's possible, NH's volume of certain Industrial sizes are cheaper than select Ag's... however industry wide... the ag's are cheaper across the board...

Come Monday AM, call some local "large" farm/commercial tire outlets and get "replacement" pricing on the sizes that go on the TC40, for both Ag's & Industrials...

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #9  
Just to add to what everyone else said...

I can't recall ever reading a post here where anyone mentioned that R1 tires were a more costly option over R4s.

MY recollection is that either the price was the same or the R4s cost more.

Really curious that your dealer wants more for the Ags...did you do anything to make him believe that you wanted ags pretty badly?

Maybe he is playing the demand/price game. Or like was mentioned above, maybe it is simply that he has quoted a superior ag tire. The R4s that came on my tractor surprised me...they are only 4 ply...while others here have r4s that are as many as 12 ply.

All is not always as it first seems....

/ Ag tires vs. Industral #10  
Just remember that more plies is not always better. More plies means better puncture resistance, but the downside is a rock-hard ride and more heat buildup which translates to a shorter life. I've got 6 ply rated R4's and they already ride rock-hard - I wouldn't want a 12-ply R4.