Buying Advice To buy a tractor or not?

/ To buy a tractor or not? #31  
Probably 80% of the ""stuff" I've chipped has been vines and brambles. Mostly between 1/4 inch to 2 inches. They chip better if you cut them and give them a week or so to dry. It's not easy, but with a pusher stick they become small pieces.

Where did you get a picture of my yard??? :eek:

Really, that pic looks like this spot on my property:

Tractor - TBN_098.jpg

Bamboo, tree, brush pile, and all!

/ To buy a tractor or not? #32  
Originally Posted by tractchores
"I don't want to discourage you in any way from getting a tractor (I love mine), but on some of the vines you may try a hand held brush trimmer. I have one that's got a 12" circular saw type of blade on a string trimmer like setup. I use it to clear out heavy vines on a hill I have, the vines grow up ... It's labor intensive, but may be a good way to start.

I have used one of those before and they are good. I need to get some photos up so everyone can have a better idea of if this is just wanting a tractor or it will actually be useful."

I have MORE HRS on the 2006 Husqvarna brushcutter (with several different metal blades) than on my atv and the JD160 (since purchased) COMBINED. Probably the best piece of equipment I've purchased. For me it took some getting used to, but wow does that thing do the job - even on 2-3 inch saplings. It DOES NOT replace a tractor however (or a chainsaw, for that matter). I've managed without a tractor so far ($$$, not choice), but this year things may change.:dance1:

/ To buy a tractor or not? #33  
I also live on 8 acres of forest with some yard. Plenty of good input already on the tractor issue. But have you considered having a state forester come evaluate your land? In Iowa you can have the state forester come out and evaluate your land, design a written plan based on your goals and it is free. In some cases you can take that plan to the local county conservation office and actually get paid to do what you were going to do already. I also put my land in forest preserve status which takes it off the residential tax roles and into a much lower rate. Just some food for thought. By the way I am using a BX24 with loader and backhoe, a Stihl 032 and M200T, and a lot of sweat to maintain my forest. My land is too hilly to get the tractor deep in the woods.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ To buy a tractor or not?
All good ideas and thoughts so far, so keep them coming. I will look into the state forester but not sure how that would work since technically we are in suburbia, zoned residential, and have mostly yards around us. This is also why I think our little "forest" is important to the area and want to make sure it stays healthy. I walked around this morning and actually feel better about the conditions, I still need to spend a couple of hard years and sweat to make sure I get ahead of the vines and then can maintain it until someone else takes over for me (25-30 years from now!). I also think a tractor would be a great addition so here are my photos:
IMG_0874.jpgIMG_0873.jpgIMG_0872.jpgIMG_0870.jpgIMG_0875.jpgIMG_0876.jpgIMG_0877.jpg

/ To buy a tractor or not? #35  
I would seek some advice from a conservation agent as well. We have a mix of open forest, clearings and brush to try to maximize wildlife habitat. Some people clean a section of woods up to the point to where it is nothing ore than a park; nothing wrong with that, but you won't have much diversity. We are going to have someone come out and look at a section we are restoring to trees to set up a pan for future management.

/ To buy a tractor or not? #36  
The pics help. I guess one question is, what do you want it to look like, or what is your goal? Are you wanting to create some particular sort of habitat, such as for song birds?

I think the natural inclination is to over-clear areas like this, I know mine is. But that isn't "healthy" in wildlife habitat terms. Obviously, the more city-park like you make it, the more you will be inclined to spend time there, but it comes at a price to habitat variety and species support, plus it takes more maintenance, primarily mowing, to keep it in a park-like state.

If it were mine, I would focus on getting the vines under control and aim long-term at trying to create/maintain three habitat zones, ground cover (including rotting logs), bushes and small trees up to 15 feet tall, and maturing, tall trees. A few 1/4 to 1/2 acre clearings maintained by alternating areas bush hogging every year or two in late July are good too.

/ To buy a tractor or not? #37  
I would seek some advice from a conservation agent as well. We have a mix of open forest, clearings and brush to try to maximize wildlife habitat. Some people clean a section of woods up to the point to where it is nothing ore than a park; nothing wrong with that, but you won't have much diversity. We are going to have someone come out and look at a section we are restoring to trees to set up a pan for future management.

You beat me to it, but I had similar ideas. :laughing:

/ To buy a tractor or not? #38  
   / To buy a tractor or not? #39  
You know what they say about great minds.:thumbsup:

Ah, the Monday morning mutual admiration society is in session. :p

I was thinking this would be a great area to set up some beehives if that is of interest, and your suburban neighbors aren't overly pesticide happy.

/ To buy a tractor or not? #40  
Ah, the Monday morning mutual admiration society is in session. :p

I was thinking this would be a great area to set up some beehives if that is of interest, and your suburban neighbors aren't overly pesticide happy.

Not to worry; lots of other things on which we disagree I am sure and the admiration goes right out the window I suppose.

I helped my father in law clear out eight acres of woods shortly after he retired. He put a shelter out in it with an ice box, BBQ grill and he spent many enjoyable hours taking breaks, but he never could figure out why he no longer saw the wild game that he first saw when he bought the property. He passed some years ago and we are managing it for game, recreation, reforestation and the deer, quail and turkey are slowly returning as we allow some areas to grow up, mowing some, native grasses etc.