gas vs diesel

/ gas vs diesel #1  

calbug

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 4720i
i'm sure this has been discussed many times, but i could not find much doing a search. what are advantages/disadvantages of gas/diesel? been looking for @40 hp tractor for a while now and in my head i was settled on a diesel, mainly because of the ethanol issues that could pop up, as tractor would sit for periods of time. but i've seen some good deals on gas tractors and am starting to change my mind. guy down the road from me has a good looking MF 35 gas burner for sale. i stopped and looked at it and told the guy i was interested in a diesel. $3500 which i'm not sure if that is a good price. someone give me some input, please. have seen several MF and fords gas burners on CL that appear to be in good condition.

/ gas vs diesel #2  
More power to the ground, and less fuel consumption with a diesel in general. And that a diesel will outlast a gas engine by about threefold.

/ gas vs diesel #3  
i'm sure this has been discussed many times, but i could not find much doing a search. what are advantages/disadvantages of gas/diesel? been looking for @40 hp tractor for a while now and in my head i was settled on a diesel, mainly because of the ethanol issues that could pop up, as tractor would sit for periods of time. but i've seen some good deals on gas tractors and am starting to change my mind. guy down the road from me has a good looking MF 35 gas burner for sale. i stopped and looked at it and told the guy i was interested in a diesel. $3500 which i'm not sure if that is a good price. someone give me some input, please. have seen several MF and fords gas burners on CL that appear to be in good condition.

For 3500.00 that better be rebuilt. I bought a MF135 diesel for 2500.00

/ gas vs diesel #4  
I personally prefer diesel over gas. Had several gas burners years ago and they have the normal maintenance issues as any gas motor. If the engine is low hours and been taken care of, gas tractor may serve your needs. I guess that statement is same for a old diesel tractor as well.
If you are looking for a garden, mowing or yard tractor- a solid gas might work. If you are thinking FEL, BH, heavy tractor work etc- a diesel might work better.

I agree with Murph- for $3500- rebuilt and equipment for gasser

Be careful with CL sellers.

/ gas vs diesel #5  
I have a perkins gas 135. It has the same block as the diesel. Only the fuel system and obviously the ignition system are different. My owners manual shows 41 pto hp for the gas and 40 for the diesel so power to the ground isnt an issue. I cant say exact figures for fuel comsumption but let me just say mine holds 10 gals of gas and believe me, you do not want to try and burn a tank full in a day! It would be a mighty long day. Yes, you do have to replace some ignition parts every 10-15 years but i can live with that expense. In short, im happy with my gas 135. $3500 would be a fair to good price in my area depending on condition.

/ gas vs diesel #6  
I have a perkins gas 135. It has the same block as the diesel. Only the fuel system and obviously the ignition system are different. My owners manual shows 41 pto hp for the gas and 40 for the diesel so power to the ground isnt an issue. I cant say exact figures for fuel comsumption but let me just say mine holds 10 gals of gas and believe me, you do not want to try and burn a tank full in a day! It would be a mighty long day. Yes, you do have to replace some ignition parts every 10-15 years but i can live with that expense. In short, im happy with my gas 135. $3500 would be a fair to good price in my area depending on condition.

Hp will be the same but the torque is a different story

/ gas vs diesel
tractor would be used mainly for bushhogging and some harrowing. the massey down the road has been sitting there for @ 3 weeks now, which kinda makes me think it is not a good deal as it is heavily traveled road. the guy may not be willing to 'negotiate'. i thought $3500 was steep. may go down and talk to him again and check tractor out a little more thoroughly.

/ gas vs diesel #8  
$3500 may not be bad for that Massey. Having both gas, and diesel, the only thing I'm interested in, going forward, is diesel.

/ gas vs diesel #9  

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 135 tractor engine information

And here is the actual test data showing the difference between the 3 engines that were available: http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/7/4/743-massey-ferguson-135-tests.html More power with less fuel consumption, with the diesel.

/ gas vs diesel #10  
Don, and murph, im not desputing what your saying. Im saying i am pleased with my gas tractor!