Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    GC2600

Default Re: Trade in time?

I wouldn't trade in for a B series, look at the L series or go to a Kioti or Mahindra. kubota's are great (I have an L3200 and LOVE it) but I don't think the B series would give you a big enough jump to justify trading.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841

Don't forget that when you buy larger all of you other implaments will now be to small and need replaced also.
    Montana R4944
    Ford Jubliee, Ford 841, Ford 621 industrial with FEL & BH

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & ZD326P

Too small? Everything is still cat1, right?
    BX23 - FEL, BH w/Bro-tek Thumb, Ripper & Trencher, 60" MMM w/Gator Blades (20-9/16 91-438 (90-987)), 48" Kubota Tiller, 48" Howse BB, Bro-tek Skid Plates, Pat's Easy Change System
    ZD326P - w/Gator Blades (20-9/16 91-438 (90-987) no bushing needed)

Tractor
    JD 5055E

To the OP;

Do you have attachments that arn't Cat 1, that you won't be able to use?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Quote Originally Posted by vrman View Post
    To answer your questions, I have been removing bushes from the ground with extreme prejudice with my ripper. I did about 300 feet over about 2 weeks. I have about 750 ft to go, and of course there are various trees and such mixed in with them. They are too close to a fence and row of pines to rent a dozer. Then I have about 45 dead ash trees in the yard that I'm going to have to cut down.

So anyway, I was thinking a larger tractor would be able to rip them out much quicker and save me a ton of time in general. But the reason I was thinking of trading both my units in, was because the larger tractors run $28k-$35k compared to when I bought my BX23 for $17k. I was just trying to reduce the payments as much as possible.
    Is that the only specific thing you've identified that will be done better with bigger equipment? If that's it, you're dropping a lot of coin and you'll lose a lot of flexibility going to just one, bigger tractor. It's true there are some jobs only a larger machine will do, but for your 5 acres, you've already got a sweet combination for, what, 90% of what you do. A single larger machine means you'll be constantly and forever changing out backhoes, mowers and various 3 point attachments just to get anything done. At least consider keeping your mower so it's always ready.

And your local rental place probably has a mini-ex or B21 TLB that will eliminate the bushes in one weekend.

Hope whatever you decide works out OK.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2620, Toro Z-Master 45 3 (2 3hp Kaw asaki, 52" deck.Kubota RTV 900)

How about renting a mini excavator for the bush removal?. I also have a tractor (B2620) and a commercial Toro Z mower, and I could not imagine giving them up.

Will

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45SE, 1994 JD LX176

Quote Originally Posted by vrman View Post
    Too small? Everything is still cat1, right?
    Your 48" implements will probably not cover the tire tracks of a larger tractor, which could mean trading in for 60" or 72" implements. And some of them may be too light for the additional horsepower, check the specifications for each. The danger is that the new tractor could possibly damage some of those implements if they hang on something or get overloaded. Your ripper and thumb may not be sized adequately for a new backhoe.

I have to agree with Grandad4 and WillC. If your tractor will currently handle the jobs you have for it on a recurring basis, rent more appropriate equipment for the short term jobs that need more capability. If there are ongoing recurring jobs it will not handle, then an upgrade may be in order. But you need to carefully consider what other implements or attachments need to be replaced along with the tractor. You can pay for a lot of rental time for the difference on a larger tractor and implemnts.

Oh, and let me add, you may actually find it cheaper overall to hire some work done, with a machine that is large enough to get it done in short order along with an operator who has the skills to get 'er done right. BTDT.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & ZD326P

Great advice everyone! Thank you so much!
    I only have a tiller and a box blade now. Just sold the bush hog. I am in the hunt for a post hole digger and possibly a wood splitter now. (got 40+ dead ash trees I'm going to have to cut down soon) Plus I have other projects on the horizon, like redoing the sunken patio, regrading some areas for water redirection for when we get lots of rain, the septic field is 45+ years old, not sure how well that's working anymore, (still seems fine right now, knock on wood) and I'm not sure whats involved with fixing/replacing that.
    WRT my 750' row of bushes. I called a half dozen places about coming out to do the work. Only one showed up to give me a quote, and he wanted $2500 just to cut them down to knee height with no clean up.

So, bottom line from everyone's input, yes, I can do it with the equipment I currently have. Could I be more productive if I upgraded to a larger machine, sure. But is it worth the additional investment for a larger machine. Hmmm...

But the other thing to consider is, I have 5 acres. I would like to do something with it that would generate some kind of income for me. Whether plowing up a section and renting it out for people to put in vege gardens, or an orchard for fruits to sell, hay/straw/wheat, I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of options I have available. I should probably start another thread about that!
    BX23 - FEL, BH w/Bro-tek Thumb, Ripper & Trencher, 60" MMM w/Gator Blades (20-9/16 91-438 (90-987)), 48" Kubota Tiller, 48" Howse BB, Bro-tek Skid Plates, Pat's Easy Change System
    ZD326P - w/Gator Blades (20-9/16 91-438 (90-987) no bushing needed)

Tractor
    Ford 9N, 8N; Cub Cadet 86

I feel for you not getting contractors out, seems they don't want to do small jobs. I've had to beg some to come out to do work on my 8 acres, so I try to do most of my own. The ones that will work with me I reward with loyalty to them, I know they won't screw me on price, know my place and are honest and want the work.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

None of us know your place and your situation, so take our advice with a grain of salt. But the thought occurs, there are probably a half dozen places in/near Joliet that rent construction equipment (Sunbelt, etc.) ... why not a weekend with a larger backhoe or mini excavator and do the tree removal yourself? It might set you back a few hundred, but you can do that many times before you ring up the $10 grand a new tractor would cost you.

I must admit I did not follow my own advice, though. My time comes and goes in fragments, so projects get done in bits and pieces. Having the backhoe ready whenever has been useful for us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast