Trade in time?

/ Trade in time? #1  

vrman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23 & ZD326P
Hey guys! Need some clarity here.
The Kubota Dealership near me had a sales event a week ago. I have been eyeing up the B3200. I have to admit I am always amazed at what my little BX23 does, but I have been needing something with a little more power for ripping bushes out and general loader use. I figured if I trade both my units in, I could afford the larger tractor.
Currently (see sig) I have a BX23 with the mid mount mower, backhoe, and loader. I've added all kinds of stuff like the skid plates, trencher/ripper and mechanical thumb from Bro-tek, and some teeth for the loader. I also have a Z326p zero turn mower. Both units have less than 250hrs. Dealer is offering me 10k on the BX23 setup and 7k on the Z326p. Does this sound about the right price range for those?

The B3200 with loader, backhoe and mower is going to run me about 28.5k.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

/ Trade in time? #2  
Other than wanting a new and larger tractor and the dealer interested in selling you one, why are you trading. I ask that question because several weeks ago I was thinking almost the same thing, ie trading my BX 25 on a B series tractor. I also have a Kubota zero turn diesel mower. Emotionally I wanted the new tractor, but when I sat down and listed the things I use the tractor for, I could no justify the upgrade. First the size of the BX is great for moving around the yard and thru fences. Second, I actually use the back hoe some, not often but when i need it I have it. Third I mow with the zero turn as it is much more agile. Several years ago i mowed with a BX series tractor and found the zero turn much better, a dedicated mowing machine. Bottom line is I'm keeping the BX 25, BUT I do eye the "B" every time I go by the dealer. Besides, I still have money in my pocket and not his. I guess the bottom line is if there are things you need to do and can't with the BX, up grade or just be like most of us and upgrade as we all like bigger toys.

/ Trade in time? #3  
It's good you asked here before jumping on the deal, then having buyer's (or trader's) remorse. From an outsiders point of view, I also question can you really justify the larger tractor.....you mentioned "little more power" ...and "ripping out bushes and general loader use". Now I'll be at the head of the line to be eyeballing a newer tractor....or bigger tractor...or cabbed tractor....etc. and I've stretched my fleet about as far as I can justify....but can you reeaallly justify it... The bad points I see, and not knowing much about Kubota value, it seems quite low for the trade-in offer from the dealer. I realize they have to make their $$, but if you were really serious about it I would recommend you sell yourself via Ebay or CL. you would get several thousand dollars more toward the purchase price. If you traded, you'd still owe 11K, a I'm assuming that's not including tax. And, you'd be trading 2 newer machines with very low hours for only 1 new machine....reducing versatility.
I would take some time to think it through....give yourself a week or so....typically for me the longer I wait and think about a decision like this, the more clarity I have towards the answer.
Good luck!

/ Trade in time? #4  
That math wouldn't work for me....but there are other options as well. You could keep the ZT, sell the BX, and use that $10-12K towards a new, larger tractor with FEL and hoe from another brand, and get more machine, while still shelling out the same additional money....i.e., for $20-22K total, you can get a bigger machine than the B3200, and still have the ZD326P for mowing.

/ Trade in time? #5  
That math wouldn't work for me....but there are other options as well. You could keep the ZT, sell the BX, and use that $10-12K towards a new, larger tractor with FEL and hoe from another brand, and get more machine, while still shelling out the same additional money....i.e., for $20-22K total, you can get a bigger machine than the B3200, and still have the ZD326P for mowing.

+1
If you need a larger tractor there are lots to choose from.
Unless it's giving you problems I would tend to keep the Z. I think you would miss it after a short time.

Bill

/ Trade in time? #7  
Here, Here. Try a Kioti

/ Trade in time? #8  
I think what you have now is a better choice than the B 3200 for most maintenance on 5 acres.

/ Trade in time?
Wow, I'm glad I posted here before leaping! :thumbsup:

I had a feeling he was low balling me for my equipment. Just didn't seem like it was enough. Especially for the zero turn unit.

To answer your questions, I have been removing bushes from the ground with extreme prejudice with my ripper. I did about 300 feet over about 2 weeks. I have about 750 ft to go, and of course there are various trees and such mixed in with them. They are too close to a fence and row of pines to rent a dozer. Then I have about 45 dead ash trees in the yard that I'm going to have to cut down.

So anyway, I was thinking a larger tractor would be able to rip them out much quicker and save me a ton of time in general. But the reason I was thinking of trading both my units in, was because the larger tractors run $28k-$35k compared to when I bought my BX23 for $17k. I was just trying to reduce the payments as much as possible.

I should strap on the mmm and try cutting grass with that again to see how it compares to the Z. I think I know the answer, but since I've been using the Z for so long, I don't remember how it feels to cut grass on the tractor. :laughing:

I've looked at JD in the past but I don't think I've heard of Kioti. I will have to do some research on them.

Thanks everyone for some great thought provoking input! Really appreciate it!!