Does it really matter?

/ Does it really matter? #1  

cletus99

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota L3800HST
Ok, I've been reading threads on here for a while now. And all though it will still be a while before I am able to purchase me a new tractor, a question keeps coming to my mind while I'm looking at different tractors. My question is about how important or how closely do I really need to be looking at the specs of a tractor. To start with, the tractors available in my area are Kubota, Mahindra, Massey Ferguson, New Holland, and John Deere. I understand what everyone says about driving them all and see which one I like the best and how good dealer support is. But I'm talking about when you get past all that.

The three brands I've looked at the most are Mahindra, Kubota, and Massey Ferguson in that order. I'm looking for something around the 30 to 35 hp range. I probably won't be able to afford anything any larger and I doubt I will need it.

What makes me want to lean more towards the Mahindra 3016HST is due to the specs and also the 5 year warranty. However, those things are only good if they are ever needed. I can't really see where I would ever need to lift anything with a FEL anywhere close to the maximum lift capacity of the Mahindra. As far as the warranty, most problems are going to occur within the first year or two anyway. I guess I'm just trying to see what everyone thinks about the importance of the specs and warranty when you get past everything else. Manufacturers always want to show how their tractor out performs another by the specs and all. But in real world situations, does it really matter that a Mahindra 3016HST has more lift capacity than a Kubota L3200HST? How often are those maximum capacities really going to be reached or even come close?

/ Does it really matter? #2  
If you are trying to unload pallets from a truck, or stack round hay bales, it can become easy to overload the loader's maximum capacity. It really depends on how you forsee using your tractor, as it becomes easier over time to try to do more and more with it. But with most specifications, it may be difficult to compare apples to apples. One manufacturer may rate lifting capacity at the bucket pivot pins, which will cause a comparable loader to spec out better than one rated at the center of the bucket. The actual work that can be done may be the same, or may favor the loader rated at the center of the bucket.

/ Does it really matter? #3  
I'd say the specs aren't important unless you have some specific use in mind, like said above, such as lifting heavy pallets. If you think the tractors are about the same, I'd go with the one you think is the best dealer.

/ Does it really matter? #4  
When I purchased my first new tractor almost two years ago, I went to several dealers. I made my decision based on several variables. The Specs relating to my current and future needs, the type of tires that best suited my needs, the Parts Department, the reputation of the Dealer, and the location and warranty. I drove many different models in order to oberve the ease and location of all the levers, and the availability of room and access, both getting On and Off the tractor. BTW, my L4400 is an open station - no cab. Best wishes.

/ Does it really matter? #5  
There is a lot of marketing behind the published specs of tractors, for the same reasons that auto manufacturers ended up in "horsepower contests" back in the golden days of Detroit... customers respond to "mine is bigger, stronger, faster, or whatever." The fact is, most of us seldom use every last bit of horsepower, lifting power, etc. in our ordinary work with this equipment. So, for example, if one brand of tractor has, say, 5 or 10% more lift capacity on the loader or 3 point than the comparable model of some other make, there are probably very few owners who would really find it made a critical difference in what they can do.

I would argue that basing a compact tractor purchase decision solely or even mostly on the specs is kind of short-sighted. For safety and longevity, you should be running it at maybe 40-80% of capacity most of the time, and if you're planning to run it ba**s to the wall flat out all the time, it's a clue you should be looking for a larger machine.

That's just one guy's opinion and others are welcome to form their own judgements.

/ Does it really matter? #6  
There is another spec. that you should consider and that is pto horse power. Most all rear attachment hay equipment require a min. of 40 pto hp.

/ Does it really matter? #7  
Agee with Grandad4. But do plan on actually driving your choice of a few tractors. I know my decision was not so much on power and statistics, all the orange, red and green units I tried pretty much had the same stuff. It was on how it felt... Controls, fit, etc. The one thing I would do differently now would be to go bigger, not for more power, but for more stability. The CUTs, pretty much all of them, are less stable across slopes than bigger tractors. I do put a lot of stock in having a good, responsive dealer though.

/ Does it really matter? #8  
When looking at specs be sure to verify that they are actually measuring the same thing. Some manufacturers like to 'spin' their specs to make them look better. Is the lift point at the loader arms or bucket edge? is the 3pt at the linkage or out beyond it etc. At the end of the day you probably don't want to buy a tractor that you're going to need to use every single bit of lifting or some other capacity with, you want something that your every day jobs are going to be well within its capabilities. With that in mind you can choose your general size category and most manufacturers will be within the ballpark. Then it boils down to specific features, price and overall ergonomics and comfort. I personally got a Kubota because I liked the layout the best, I haven't had any need for dealer or warranty assistance on anything and my take is most of the major brands are very reliable.

/ Does it really matter?
I didn't mention PTO power but that is one of the things I am really looking at more then other specs. Mostly I will probably be using it for mowing with my 5 ft bush hog and I plan to get a 6 ft finish mower. I will be using it on a small garden, food plots, driveway maintenance, and cleaning out the barn for the goats pen. I already have a 6 ft box blade for the driveway. I think my biggest concern is going to be getting something with close to a 30hp PTO which is one reason I'm considering a Kubota over the Mahindra. The L3200 has more hp than the 3016. I think the Mahindra 3616 is going to end up costing too much. But I will look at all of them. I don't even really want to look at John Deere because of the plastic hood. There just shouldn't be plastic on a tractor like that in my book.

/ Does it really matter? #10  
Here's an example of the kind of games that get played with specs. The manufacturers have noticed that FEL lift capacity is one of those benchmarks that buyers pay attention to. But they face a problem: physics is physics. Lift capacity is determined by: the size lift cylinders - which are typically very similar for compact tractors in a given size and power range; the hydraulic pressure - also pretty similar; and the loader geometry - also basically similar since it's dictated by the size of the tractor. If those parameters are largely the same across brands, the loaders will be pretty much equivalent in lift performance. So how do you make your tractor's lift specs look good vs. the competition?

Here's one place people seldom think about. Look at the weight of the loader frames and that of the standard buckets they use. Some manufacturers rate the lift capacity of a 40+ hp tractor using a 72 in. bucket weighing just over 200 lbs., while a competitor's comparable bucket is over 300 lbs. Well, that's 100 lbs. more "lift capacity" for the brand with the lightweight bucket. Personally, I'd rather have a loader built like the proverbial brick outhouse than one that was lightly designed to give a good lift number, but maybe that's just me. Conclusion: if you're going to rely on the specs, be sure you know all the specs, and how they were determined.